Norfolk Broads 2006

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

Whilst sorting through some boxes we never unpacked when we moved home over 3 years ago, we stumbled upon some photos of one of our trips on the Norfolk Broads. Not only did this bring back some happy memories but it also reminded us that our bad luck with boats started way before we bought our own :lol:

Heres a selection of what we got up to in 2006 aboard Barnes Brinkcrafts's Brink of Joy

Photo25_25.jpg

Photo08_8.jpg

As you can see started of pleasant enough until one evening moored stern on outside a pub the wind blew in the wrong direction during the night and we woke up to this.

Photo18_18.jpg

Photo17_17.jpg

Photo19_19.jpg

Seem to remember it came off fairly easily with the aid of a big stick :lol:

Things improved though

Photo13_13.jpg

Until we headed back in the direction of Yarmouth when the gearbox lost all of its hydraulic fluid and refused to go into gear, thus leaving us stranded o one of the most isolated and tidal stretches of the Broads river system. Towed into Yarmouth the engineers attended and decided a new gearbox was the way to go as all of the other boats where out on hire.

Photo18_14.jpg

Another quiet holiday :lol:

Heres a few of the more sedate moments we had

Wroxham Bridge

Photo05_5.jpg

Potter Heigham Bridge

Photo05_5-1.jpg

River Ant

Photo07_7.jpg

Breydon Water

Photo20_16.jpg

Photo27_27.jpg

Heres a few more for you

Nice pics -

When were you there in 2006???, we were there for our first ever boating holiday as just a couple in September 2006 and we went from Barnes Brinkcraft also - we had Brinks Omega.....

Brinks Omega Sept 2006

Broadshol021.jpg

Ferry Inn Stokesby

Broadshol058.jpg

Jan pretending she is at St. Tropez

Broadshol016.jpg

Ship Inn Walsham - worth the walk - Closed temporarily since our 2006 visit but re-opened since and worth a visit.

Broadshol064.jpg

'Sailies' returning to Sutton Staithe

Broadshol035.jpg

This was an early start at Sutton Staithe - needed to get us through Ludham Bridge

Broadshol045.jpg

This was the Newsagent we used to stock up with sweets from when we holidayed on the broads late 60's early 70's. Last time we went to Wroxham in 2009 it was closed and empty :lol: and a bit rundown.

Broadshol079-1.jpg

Sunset at Horning

Broadshol014.jpg

Edited by MJG

If i remember correctly we where there at Easter in 2006. We almost always hired early on in the season, often in the first couple of weeks, as the boats where less abused at that time of the year.

The last time we went was in October 2008, just before we picked up Cal. We hired Joy again only she was looking a little worse for wear by that time. She did have a new engine and gearbox though which was a bonus.

So nice to see you all enjoyed my home waters, the Newsagents in Wroham is now a Hair/Nail salon, but Norfolk Marine the chandlers is still thriving (it's next door)

Phil

Actually I remember now you are correct - we went in Sept. 2009 it was closed up but when we went back in April last year it had opened as a salon as you say.

The chandlers was good too - we got Dennis his life jacket there before our April holiday, we had a laugh because he 'set his lip' at the polystyrene dog that the jacket was being modelled on.

Norfolk is indeed very nice and it's where I got Jan into boating (I did it here as there were no locks to contend with of course) - however now we is lock ninjas I think It' be a while before we go back. And to be fair boating on tidal rivers does have it's own set of challenges, says him who nearly cast adrift Brinks Omega whilst mooring at the Bridge Inn at Acle but that's another story.

Norfolk is indeed very nice and it's where I got Jan into boating (I did it here as there were no locks to contend with of course) - however now we is lock ninjas I think It' be a while before we go back. And to be fair boating on tidal rivers does have it's own set of challenges, says him who nearly cast adrift Brinks Omega whilst mooring at the Bridge Inn at Acle but that's another story.

Do tell :lol:

The broads is where we fell in love with boating and we are desperate to get Cal there, even if it does mean spending days on end dodging hire boats full of pirates. :lol:

OK then

Stopped at Bridge Inn Acle, nice lunch and they welcome dogs and recommended BTW for anybody up them parts

Basic error really - started engine, the boat was facing into the direction of the flowing tide and I stupidly cast off the bow line first, as I was casting of the stern line the tide caught the boat and swung her into and across the river, by this time the only thing stopping the boat disappearing down the Bure was me hanging on to the stern line, I gambled the tide would continue to swing her in a 180, which of course it did, but more slowly as the the 'blunt' end was now facing into the flow, and in a 'ninja' move jumped aboard Omega from the boat moored behind her as she was just about to hit it.

A quick blast on the throttle and we were away from the impending danger, however I failed to notice the stern line which had fallen into the water but luckily spotted it before it fouled the prop. It certainly provide some lunchtime entertainment for the reaming diners at the pub....

The price of inexperience and a mistake I've never made again.

Edited by MJG

OK then

Stopped at Bridge Inn Acle, nice lunch and they welcome dogs and recommended BTW for anybody up them parts

Basic error really - started engine, the boat was facing into the direction of the flowing tide and I stupidly cast off the bow line first, as I was casting of the stern line the tide caught the boat and swung her into and across the river, by this time the only thing stopping the boat disappearing down the Bure was me hanging on to the stern line, I gambled the tide would continue to swing her in a 180, which of course it did, but more slowly as the the 'blunt' end was now facing into the flow, and in a 'ninja' move jumped aboard Omega from the boat moored behind her as she was just about to hit it.

A quick blast on the throttle and we were away from the impending danger, however I failed to notice the stern line which had fallen into the water but luckily spotted it before it fouled the prop. It certainly provide some lunchtime entertainment for the reaming diners at the pub....

The price of inexperience and a mistake I've never made again.

School boy error :lol:

School boy error :lol:

Yup and given that prior to this particular hol in 2006 the last time that I was on the Broads was when I was at school, possibly understandable.

Edited by MJG

The broads is where we fell in love with boating and we are desperate to get Cal there, even if it does mean spending days on end dodging hire boats full of pirates. :lol:

Go for it Phylis! Its great down here, and if you get bumped by a hire boat, get the details call the yard and they sort free of charge, no insurance forms or anything and you get a free hull wash into the bargain lol well we did! Just had my mooring fees bill for the next 12months £850! just a bit cheaper the Burton Waters and the Broads license is cheaper too, oh one more bonus for me is petrol at the water side too. and no more dodging shoals and sand banks on the Trent either.

Go for it Phylis! Its great down here, and if you get bumped by a hire boat, get the details call the yard and they sort free of charge, no insurance forms or anything and you get a free hull wash into the bargain lol well we did! Just had my mooring fees bill for the next 12months £850! just a bit cheaper the Burton Waters and the Broads license is cheaper too, oh one more bonus for me is petrol at the water side too. and no more dodging shoals and sand banks on the Trent either.

Wow! £850 is pretty good, my live aboard moorings cost me £2400 (but I have got a privaye dyke and 60ft of river front garden)

Phil

Edited by Phil Ambrose

We shall be seeing you later this year if all goes well with the Wells trip in May. :lol:

You are correct, it is indeed Zoe.

she is utterly beautiful, and while I've sailed almost every other boat in the Southgates fleet, I have never sailed Zoe.

Lapwing will be mine one day. :lol:

I liked the look of this one

America

Although the last time we saw her she was part of a group that had hired almost all of the fleet (including White Moth) for a works outing. Ruined the night when they all got pissed at Sutton Staithe and spent the night running the engines and screaming at the top of their voices. Still cant blame the boat for that.