• Couldn't care so long as I can get back on
    • Mix
    • Staircases/Risers
    • Unusual locks
    • Manned Locks
    • Large River Locks
    • Never go through locks

Featured Posts

Hunting through some old videos the other day and on one, there's an interview with a chap called Tom Mayo, worked for the Severn Carrying.

He said he did Tardebigge in a Hour and a quarter. That's a lock every two and a half mins.....did they empty quick in those days?

I think they must have speeded up the film - think Benny Hill doing locks

Hunting through some old videos the other day and on one, there's an interview with a chap called Tom Mayo, worked for the Severn Carrying.

He said he did Tardebigge in a Hour and a quarter. That's a lock every two and a half mins.....did they empty quick in those days?

Andrew

A few years back we followed a half hour behind a boat up Tardibigge and found almost every lock empty or near empty and leaking hard. A few years later - expecting a repeat - we found the locks did not seem to empty - maybe by then the tops leaked as much as the bottoms - or maybe the locks had been fixed. The first trip took half the time of the second needless to say.

I had that down for 37 but happy to think 42. We did that this year. Shame the Bluebell let us down on the food though.

I've had another look and make it 40 now! I was just having a quick add up from Pearsons and had added the 2 locks below The Cape, which we'd done the previous evening.

I am a little upset that I can't add up my Devizes flight 3 times in one day with 3 boats to get 87.

None of them would go up together, 2 ex-working boats and a Dawncraft.

And although I don't remember it as well it must have been down as well, although not the same day as going up.

Chris, we'll allow that one. I was trying to avoid working pairs on the BCN Challenge who could automatically double their lock count

Patrick, since you're such a fan of locks I'm booking you for this July to go up to Winkwell again. :lol:

already booked!

Mrs T and I "did" the Tardebigge Flight in 3 and 3/4 hours a couple of years ago - me working the locks, Mrs T driving the boat as she jumped off the boat at the top of the flight and twisted her ankle!

We did it in 3hr 30min with a crew of three, on a 50' ex hire boat with a twin pot Lister and lousy reverse! We also had about 15 pints each. In our defence it was a scorchingly hot day and we sweated the beer out as quickly as we could drink it.

No boats or boaters were injured in the process.

Jan and I's total lock count (on our own) is a massive 8!!

Clearly well below the total or average per day by far of most on here -

Do we like them???,

love em!!!

Jan relished the challenge of guiding the boat in and out of the locks we negotiated and I enjoyed being the 'lock wheeler'.

We had no interest in getting through them quickly, but rather safely any help we were offered we politely declined

"thanks but we are learning if we can do this on our own, so appreciate the offer but no thanks".

These of course were narrow locks - our next big challenge will be broad on our own.