K & A advice needed.

Dave_

Featured Posts

As mentioned earlier we want to see the pump engines at Crofton in steam and this is likely to be the furthest point of our trip. The information I would like someone to confirm is that is it possible to wind a 56ft boat at Crofton or do we need to continue to Great Bedwyn before heading back westwards. The reason for this question is that Pearson's indicates the latter whereas the K&A website suggests the former is possible.

Thanks to all for your previous help.

Dave.

As mentioned earlier we want to see the pump engines at Crofton in steam and this is likely to be the furthest point of our trip. The information I would like someone to confirm is that is it possible to wind a 56ft boat at Crofton or do we need to continue to Great Bedwyn before heading back westwards. The reason for this question is that Pearson's indicates the latter whereas the K&A website suggests the former is possible.

Dave.

Hi Dave

You can wind at Crofton Top Lock No 55, which is about half a mile ish from the old pumping station which is well worth visiting. However it is possible to wind in one of the wider pounds going east from Crofton. Alternatively, just after lock 64 as you come into Great Bedwyn is a winding hole. There are some good moorings after Bedwyn Wharf (bridge) opposit the train station, but the next winding hole is about 2 miles and 3 locks further on. Hope that helps.

I know someone who has regularly winded a 62' boat at Crofton so you shouldn't have a problem.

BW do often have a tug moored in the area just below the lock above the visitors moorings that is like a winding hole and this may make the wind a little tricky but it's definitely do-able

I can wind my boat there (45') at any point by the visitors moorings and with plenty of spare space so you may not even need the winding hole.

Hope this helps

Rik

Dave.

or you could wind at the end of the summit and walk down (half a mile?) to the pumping station.

Dave

I understand your desire to see Crofton in steam but I don't think you will get there in time on the Monday.

Progress on the K and A is fairly slow because :

a)West of Devizes there are many moored boats and

b)Much of the paddle gear is very low geared and takes ages to wind up and down. (Despite this they are also very stiff)

I suggest you try to visit Crofton en route to B on A to start your trip. It will be in steam on Sat 29th. Don't know where you're coming from, of course.

Then start your trip by going to Bath. This will give you the chance to visit Claverton Pumping Station which will be running on both Sun 30th and Mon 31st.

As Mr Pearson says, this is something not to be missed.

Spend a night moored below Pulteney weir in Bath - you have to pay about £8 but it's worth it for such a fantastic place to moor.

Then go east as far as time permits - the long pound is beautiful and much quieter.

Rick

Hi All

Thanks for the info, especially Rick as had not thought of visiting Crofton on route to B on A. This would actually make sense as we will be coming from East Sussex so only a minor detour and would then enable us to have a much more relaxed week and still be able to do the three things we would most like to do on our weeks holiday which are Crofton, Bath and the Caen Hill flt (think we have a fetish for flts of locks having done Tardebigge last year!). I also assume the flt will probably be busier than normal over the Bank Holiday w/end so again makes Rick's suggestion seem sensible.

Thanks for all the advise, it's nice to "meet" such a helpful group of people.

Dave

Can I suggest you plan to overnight at the bottom of the flight. It opens at 8 am with every gate open in your favour !!!A lovely time of the day and not too hot for all those locks and if you can pair up you should fly up there !!! Have a great time.

Val

Hi Dave

You can wind at Crofton Top Lock No 55, which is about half a mile ish from the old pumping station which is well worth visiting. However it is possible to wind in one of the wider pounds going east from Crofton. Alternatively, just after lock 64 as you come into Great Bedwyn is a winding hole. There are some good moorings after Bedwyn Wharf (bridge) opposit the train station, but the next winding hole is about 2 miles and 3 locks further on. Hope that helps.

I dont know how you can give advice JR (if that is your real name)> I have never seen your boat move (apart from when i whacked it with oriel the other day) lol :lol:

Here's a tip to save you a few ££££.

Join the K&A Trust - you can do it online - family membership costs £25 but includes free admission to Crofton and Claverton. Not sure of 2010 prices but I reckon you'll save about a tenner.

Here's another tip. Spend it on some of Mr Wadworth's excellent sleeping mixture.

Hope the sun shines for you.

Rick

Thanks all

8am, that will scare the wife & kids but will be worth it for the easier trip! Family ticket for Crofton is £18 plus on your advise we now also want to visit Claverton and the museum at Devizes, so very useful tip there and I'm sure I'll enjoy sampling the Wadworth's especially if the sun shines.

Cheers :lol:

Edited by Dave_

• 1 month later...

Hi all

Well we will be off on our trip next Saturday and thanks to all for your advise, the Kennet & Avon family membership is still £25 so have joined. You will note from below that we have altered our plans with what I hope will be a fair bit of slack in the week to allow for slower traveling and longer visits. Have decided to stop at Darlington Wharf to save lock time rather than going right down into Bath (believe it's only a short walk into centre and apparently views of Bath from here are very good) and we do not have to go all the way to the summit if short on time and have also planned a short day on the Friday. If anybody can see any obvious problems with this please let us know, other wise hope to see some of you as we go by or maybe share a beer at one of the pubs on route.

Kennet & Avon Canal.

Saturday 29/05 Visit Crofton Beam Engines (SN8 3DW) on way to Bradford on Avon (BA15 1UD)

4 hours/1 lock (05/04) Collect boat – 13:00-14:00

My Birthday Head down to George Inn at Bathampton for meal then moor for night

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sunday 30/05 (04) Move down to Darlington Wharf and moor to visit Bath (early start)

Wind just before Bath Top lock (If too long in Bath then visit Claverton tomorrow)

2 hours/0 locks Then head back up to Claverton to see pumping station (be here by approx 3pm)

1 hour/0 locks (5)Carry on to Avoncliffe for meal at Cross Guns and moor for night

-------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Monday 31/05 (5/6/7) Avoncliff to Foxhanger Wharf (bottom of Caen Hill flight)

5 hours/10 locks Visit Bradford on Avon on route and eat at either the Barge Inn or Three Magpies

Bank Holiday! Moor for night at bottom of flt

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday 01/06 (08/09) Foxhanger Wharf to Devizes (Caen Hill flt)

8 hours/29 locks Visit Devizes including K & A visitor centre

Eat at Bridge Inn just on from Devizes and moor for night

Wednesday 02/06 (9/10/11/12/11) Bishops Cannings to Bruce Tunnel & back to Pewsey

Wind between Bruce tunnel & Crofton just to make it to the summit

8 hours/ 08 locks Moor for night

Thursday 03/06 (10/9/8) Pewsey to Seend (2+hrs & no locks to top of Caen Hill flt)

8 hours/29 locks Eat at Three Magpies & moor for night

Friday 04/06 Seend to Hilperton or if time carry on down to Avoncliffe for meal at Cross Guns then wind and head back towards Bradford on Avon for night.

4 hours/7 locks or 5 hours/9 locks

Saturday 05/06 Return boat to Anglo Welsh by 09:00 to be off boat by 09:30.

There is a good Indian at Hilperton. It is on the right as you go towards Bath. Go over the road bridge past the Alvechurch boat yard or Spencer at the small boatyard will tell you where it is.

Sue

There is a good Indian at Hilperton. It is on the right as you go towards Bath. Go over the road bridge past the Alvechurch boat yard or Spencer at the small boatyard will tell you where it is.

Sue

There is a good one at Bradford on Avon as well. Less than 2mins walk from the lock.

So many Indian restaurants available, will cost me a fortune in pump outs over the week :lol:

You'll have a great time. The George is extremely popular in the summer - not sure if you can book.

When you moor at BoA, do not be tempted to walk into town by road. Go into the park behind the tithe barn, and walk down either right through the park to the Avon, or nicer still go over bridge to the Rowing Club, cross the railway line on the pedestrian crossing and walk up through some fantastic old houses, and come back down into the town by way of centuries old steps and alleyways.

Sunday 30/05 (04) Move down to Darlington Wharf and moor to visit Bath (early start)

Wind just before Bath Top lock (If too long in Bath then visit Claverton tomorrow)

2 hours/0 locks Then head back up to Claverton to see pumping station (be here by approx 3pm)

1 hour/0 locks (5)Carry on to Avoncliffe for meal at Cross Guns and moor for night

-------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If the boat is over 50 foot you have to wind just before bath narrowboats rather than the locks.

You'll have a great time. The George is extremely popular in the summer - not sure if you can book.

When you moor at BoA, do not be tempted to walk into town by road. Go into the park behind the tithe barn, and walk down either right through the park to the Avon, or nicer still go over bridge to the Rowing Club, cross the railway line on the pedestrian crossing and walk up through some fantastic old houses, and come back down into the town by way of centuries old steps and alleyways.

That is the long (1 1/2 miles) scenic route which is OK if you have plenty of energy and time. The walk down Frome road from the Lock may be less attractive but it takes you directly into Town and is a tad over quarter of a mile.

That is the long (1 1/2 miles) scenic route which is OK if you have plenty of energy and time. The walk down Frome road from the Lock may be less attractive but it takes you directly into Town and is a tad over quarter of a mile.

:lol: The architecture and ambiance are unmissable - by all means walk back on the road.

Deletedaccount - thanks for the advise as boat is 56ft

Serendipity - will probably do the scenic route into town then take the direct route back as will more than likely have sampled some

local fare whilst in the town. :lol:

Feel free to say hi if you spot us going by on Anglo Welsh boat "MAY."

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Well all, we made it back after a fantastic week. Saw some of your boats along the way and managed to make it down to Bath then all the way to the Bruce tunnel, turned above the next lock and made it back to the Cross Guns for a last excellent meal on the Friday night, found "Tunnel Vision" to be very much to my taste! Most day's were 7-8 hours cruising with the Wed being 11, but what an 11 hours of stunning scenery going from Barge Inn (Honeystreet) to the summit and back to the Bridge Inn.

The only thing we found, which has been mentioned on another topic, was that in many places the visitor moorings were taken up with boats which were not visitors. On one 24 hour mooring we saw three boats that were still in the same position when we returned three days later, I believe in live and let live but if visitors (hire boaters) find it hard to moor anywhere sensible then they will not return or recommend their friends to visit this area which would be a great shame as yours is a beautiful canal and would surely suffer from the lack of income.

Anyway thanks to all for your advise which helped us to have an enjoyable time and now to start thinking where to go next year.

See you again in a few years time, God willing.

Dave.

David, I know you live there, but I can't help feeling those distances are a touch OTT, nearer one mile and half a mile.

We sorted all this out for our wedding when we needed to walk 50 guests from the West Barn to the Swan Hotel

the best compromise between road and the scenic route is to go from the tithe barn to the river, then follow the river under the railway, you then need to either enter the car park by the large hall or cross the river on a footbridge, for most of the town centre the footbridge option is best, but Town Bridge (the road bridge) is worth seeing with it's lock up.