Leeds & Liverpool Canal-Skipton

Dalesman

Featured Posts

Do others not think that this is partly due to the average age of a boater increasing? When I was on the canal in my 20s there were quite a number of boaters around my age group and groups of louts would have thought twice about taking on boaters, especially if a few of us were moored.

I am now in my mid forties and I am still one of the youngest I know who boat on the canals (and even I don't much now, and never sleep on board due to cost increases).

This average age increase, I believe is due to the increase in boating costs.

However, an older person is perceived as a 'softer' target (not always the case!); and as more boaters are now older, they may be being targetted more.

Also, with boats becoming fancier and clearly more expensive than before, I feel an element of jealousy on the ypbs' part plays it's part in provoking the situation, whereas when boats were scruffier (as mine always were!!) then they weren't seen as much of a luxury item, and hat jealousy was more questions like: 'Do you live on it?' 'How much did it cost?' (usual answer: Less than your Playstation) brought things to more of a level. Jealousy was killed instantly. Narrowboats clearly cost more than Playstations, but my last canal boat only cost me £100 (plus some work!!) so I wasn't telling fibs.

I used to love staying in Skipton and never had any issues.

Do others not think that this is partly due to the average age of a boater increasing? When I was on the canal in my 20s there were quite a number of boaters around my age group and groups of louts would have thought twice about taking on boaters, especially if a few of us were moored.

I am now in my mid forties and I am still one of the youngest I know who boat on the canals (and even I don't much now, and never sleep on board due to cost increases).

This average age increase, I believe is due to the increase in boating costs.

However, an older person is perceived as a 'softer' target (not always the case!); and as more boaters are now older, they may be being targetted more.

Also, with boats becoming fancier and clearly more expensive than before, I feel an element of jealousy on the ypbs' part plays it's part in provoking the situation, whereas when boats were scruffier (as mine always were!!) then they weren't seen as much of a luxury item, and hat jealousy was more questions like: 'Do you live on it?' 'How much did it cost?' (usual answer: Less than your Playstation) brought things to more of a level. Jealousy was killed instantly. Narrowboats clearly cost more than Playstations, but my last canal boat only cost me £100 (plus some work!!) so I wasn't telling fibs.

I used to love staying in Skipton and never had any issues.

Im sure you could still love going to Skipton and still have no problems.

Just out of interest though, why does sleeping on board cost more than not sleeping onboard?

Im sure you could still love going to Skipton and still have no problems.

Just out of interest though, why does sleeping on board cost more than not sleeping onboard?

Good question!!

The boats I have now are all open trailboats, so they are not suitable for sleeping on; but because they are open trailboats they are all BSC exempt, only require day/explorer licences, and cost £32 per year to insure all three for any use including full tidal with no restrictions. Also we had a full day on one for less than a gallon of petrol, wheras the Dawncraft my wife used to have would use that much in 4 miles!!

It's not the sleeping itself, it's the size of boat that costs less.

If there was still a slipway at Gargrave, I probably would go to Skipton, but they closed it an filled it in, and the only ones on that stretch now are at Bingley which is a push to Skipton and back in a day, and Silsden which is awkward as the guy has a hire fleet to run and very little parking. Skipton is a little difficult for day boating now.

Good question!!

The boats I have now are all open trailboats, so they are not suitable for sleeping on; but because they are open trailboats they are all BSC exempt, only require day/explorer licences, and cost £32 per year to insure all three for any use including full tidal with no restrictions. Also we had a full day on one for less than a gallon of petrol, wheras the Dawncraft my wife used to have would use that much in 4 miles!!

It's not the sleeping itself, it's the size of boat that costs less.

If there was still a slipway at Gargrave, I probably would go to Skipton, but they closed it an filled it in, and the only ones on that stretch now are at Bingley which is a push to Skipton and back in a day, and Silsden which is awkward as the guy has a hire fleet to run and very little parking. Skipton is a little difficult for day boating now.

What engine did your wifes Dawncraft wield? It must have been fairly hefty, even we can average over 5mpg :lol:

Your sums dont really make much sense either (well to me anyway). The BSC costs £100 (ish) every four years so say £25 per year, you can use explorere/day licences on any craft not just open boats, and insurance for boats with accomodation neednt be expensive either. Fuel costs on a small cuddy cabin boat shouldnt amount to much either.

From this weeks Craven Herald:

Skipton town centre leaders have sought to reassure the boating community after claims that young criminals were turning the Leeds-Liverpool Canal into a “no go area”.

The town council and Chamber of Trade have joined forces to play down reports that canal boat owners have begun spurning Skipton after being targeted by teenage hooligans.

The rebuttals came after one of the main organisers of the town’s annual Waterways Festival, Pamela Clarke, said boat owners had told her they were fearful of stopping in Skipton because of trouble from local youths.

And she said victims were reluctant to make reports to police for fear of reprisals.

Her comments came in the wake of moves to mount high-visibility police patrols on the canal towpath to combat crimes that have included narrowboats being cast adrift, vandalism and a spate of thefts from decks.

But Dave Parker, chief officer of Skipton Town Council, said negative perceptions of the canal in Skipton were unjustified. “We are very concerned that the impression is being given that every boat stopping off in Skipton will be subjected to attacks from so-called ‘thugs’,” he said.

“Clearly this is most definitely not the case and to brand Skipton as a no-go area is, frankly, ludicrous and blowing the situation out of all proportion.

“There have been a number of isolated incidents and, unfortunately, even a small number of such reports can do serious harm to Skipton’s economy.

“The problem needs to be dealt with and I am sure our colleagues in the police will have this in hand – and the town council will do everything it can to assist.”

snip

Last night a membered of the Town Council was justifying the removal of CCTV in the town

What engine did your wifes Dawncraft wield? It must have been fairly hefty, even we can average over 5mpg :lol:

Your sums dont really make much sense either (well to me anyway). The BSC costs £100 (ish) every four years so say £25 per year, you can use explorere/day licences on any craft not just open boats, and insurance for boats with accomodation neednt be expensive either. Fuel costs on a small cuddy cabin boat shouldnt amount to much either.

Yep, you are right, but at the moment I use it on a pay-as-you-go basis where the canals are concerned and mainly use tidal rivers which are free and free slipways so it only costs the petrol and if the wind is right, sailing is free!! Accomodation for 5 if puching it on a small cabin cruiser though (my family has grown since the Yeoman 16 days!!). A Norman 20 Conquest would be ideal and it's still looking at £1000 a year minimum.

In answer to the engine on the Dawncraft it had 4 over the 3 years we had it, a Honda 10, a Honda 15, a Mariner 20 2 stroke, and ended up with an Evinrude 8 (don't ask why!!). Obviously the Hondas were better but still nly got about 5-6mpg with all up. The Evinrude being the thirstiest at 4mpg at best.

From this weeks Craven Herald:

Skipton town centre leaders have sought to reassure the boating community after claims that young criminals were turning the Leeds-Liverpool Canal into a “no go area”.

<SNIP>

The local TV reports that boaters problems will soon be a thing of the past.

Apparently, the local authority is busy removing the town centre CCTV system to save money. This will mean that the local yobbery will no longer have to go down the canal to cause trouble without being watched. They will be free to return to their old haunts and cause all the mayhem they want.

Problem solved........for boaters at least:-)

George ex nb Alton retired

I used to have a Dawncraft 22 with a Honda 9.9 outboard (1996 model) and a good days boating running about 4 hours @ 4MPH would not use a gallon.

Yet yours did a gallon in 4 miles(max speed) on canals I think it must have needed a service or the tank was leaking.

I used to have a Dawncraft 22 with a Honda 9.9 outboard (1996 model) and a good days boating running about 4 hours @ 4MPH would not use a gallon.

Yet yours did a gallon in 4 miles(max speed) on canals I think it must have needed a service or the tank was leaking.

Years ago we had a Johnson (18hp IIRC) two stroke on a 25 Dawncraft, which could sup fuel for fun. It consumed in the region of one gallon per hour. The four stroke outboards of today amaze me when compared to the old two strokers.

Why?

If you keep it on a trailer, BSC of £25 per year, PAYG licence £18 per week, insurance and fuel it wont be £1k a year

This is true, if I had a Norman Conquest!.

I suppose this is what I am doing with my dayboats now, plus they don't require storage costs as we couldn't keep a Norman Conquest at home, they are pretty big when on a trailer. They are not the lightest of boats to launch/recover either and I'm not the fittest of people to do the job!

One day I may be able to afford a canal boat again; probaly a Norman Conquest, I do miss the canals, perhaps if i get a better job at some point but they are a bit thin on the ground too!!

In the meantime I'll continue to work in retail and run my dayboats.

The four stroke Hondas were better on fuel than the two strokes, I currently have a one year old 4 stroke 2.5hp Suzuki which runs all day on next to nothing.

The problem with all this is that I'd still struggle to get to many parts of the canal system, including Skipton as the lack of slipways is becoming a real bind. They keep closing them, or making them non-user usable like Cowling Brow slipway which used to be free and usable by anyone with a handcuff key. They've now changed the lock for a non-user openable one and now charge £20 to send a BW employee to open the gate for you to use it; and that's £20 each way so £40 for a day's cruising. Galgate slipway is now closed at week-ends and is chargable, whereas in the past it was actually owned privately (before being sold to BW) and only cost £2 both ways and was open 7 days a week. There is a free slipway at Carnforth but it is becoming increasingly difficult to use as people insist on parking across the access point which was hard fought for when the pub was built over the old sanitary station as they originally blocked the slipway completely with a crash barrier. There is also no longer a BW car park (again given over to the pub) to leave car and trailer in so you have to park on the road.

Skipton for me is now a no-go area due to slipways, not yobs!! The loss of Gargrave slipway was a big blow in this respect.