3 dongle dropping out

pearley

Featured Posts

Since I changed from Vista to Windows 7 I have been having connection problems with my 3 dongle, a Huewei E160. I know I am in a poor signal area in the cutting above Knowle locks but I have an HSDPA connection.

It will connect OK then after an indeterminate time, sometimes 2 minutes, sometimes 30, the connection will automatically reset. 3 service have not been much use. Is there a new driver required for W7?

Regards

Pete

Since I changed from Vista to Windows 7 I have been having connection problems with my 3 dongle, a Huewei E160. I know I am in a poor signal area in the cutting above Knowle locks but I have an HSDPA connection.

It will connect OK then after an indeterminate time, sometimes 2 minutes, sometimes 30, the connection will automatically reset. 3 service have not been much use. Is there a new driver required for W7?

Regards

Pete

I had the same problem with my vodaphone dongle and windows 7, spent ages on the phone with vodaphone in the end I took the new laptop with windows 7 back to the shop and bought a new one with XP.

With vodaphone the software wouldnt down load automatically from the dongle as it does with vista/xp so you need to download it from web. I then still couldnt get it to work- one of the may problems with Windows 7.

Suggest giving 3 a call and asking what they can do or taking it into a store.

Regards

Pete

3 can do this sort of thing from time to time. A good run of getting a stable conection and then up. I had one spell where the only way I could get on to the internet as to open the 3 site as soon as the dongle connected, if I tried any other site I couldn't open anything. So it may not be a Vist/7 thing at all.

I've been having issues with my E156G causing 7 to lock up, so I just went into XP (dual-boot set up on my laptop) to go on the net... :lol:

As for the not loading issue, you can manually run the "Autorun" stuff by going into "Start" then "Computer" and then double clicking on the icon that represents your modem (could be logo for the network or the manufacturer of the dongle), then it asks you if you want to do this and if it can run this automatically, then it'll ask about making changes, to say the least it's a bit tedious (Microsoft's fault, over-cautious security) but it does work, it's just having the patience... :lol:

Doesn't help the locking up or dropping out... :lol:

That said though, even in XP I've had dropping out and difficulty getting back on, I found that if you select "3G Only" in the Networks options menu, that stops that problem (as in, the stick switching to GPRS and back which just screws the modem up!!!), just make sure Autoconnect is turned off so you can set this option (it doesn't retain the selection after closing the software) before it connects... :lol:

I've been having issues with my E156G causing 7 to lock up, so I just went into XP (dual-boot set up on my laptop) to go on the net... :lol:

As for the not loading issue, you can manually run the "Autorun" stuff by going into "Start" then "Computer" and then double clicking on the icon that represents your modem (could be logo for the network or the manufacturer of the dongle), then it asks you if you want to do this and if it can run this automatically, then it'll ask about making changes, to say the least it's a bit tedious (Microsoft's fault, over-cautious security) but it does work, it's just having the patience... :lol:

Doesn't help the locking up or dropping out... :lol:

That said though, even in XP I've had dropping out and difficulty getting back on, I found that if you select "3G Only" in the Networks options menu, that stops that problem (as in, the stick switching to GPRS and back which just screws the modem up!!!), just make sure Autoconnect is turned off so you can set this option (it doesn't retain the selection after closing the software) before it connects... :lol:

I had exactly the same problem and in the end I bought a different type of 3 dongle and it works much better. I'm now online with a E220 and although it still drops out it at least gets me online.

I gave up trying 3 as they were trying to convince me it was the laptop but I'd already tried an E220 with my sim and it worked fine so I knew it wasn't that!

Good luck!

S