Boat with no name - yet

Yamanx

Featured Posts

maybe a glitterball

Cruel Breals. (wish I'd thought of it :blush:)

Love the way it colour-casts a pastel magenta onto the (presumably) white ceiling.

What colour are you doing the outside?

Edited by Moley

The colour is a bit different! I think it looks rather swish... which surprises me, perhaps the photo doesn't do it justice! It is lovely to see the water lapping around through the windows too!

Have you tried the shower tray? My bathroom is a little bit bigger than yours, not much though, and I am trying to decide whether I can get away with a shower tray that size or whether it is more standing room only rather than a washeable area?

The boat is coming along nicely - any more piccies?!?!?! :blush:

Glitterbal would be a great idea and I could get some black lampshades and tiger skin rugs and cushions, Darken out the windows, really pimp it up :blush:

It does remind me of a nightclub when the lights come on at the end.

Its going to be bright red on the outside. I have already put on the undercoat. A bit strong but should be ok.

The ceiling is painted a light shade of grey and the jury's still out on this, but my upholstered walls are grey and I really like them.

Still fretting about which colour would look best on the bottom.

I've stood up in the shower and it seems to be fine, ok its not loads of room but I think the odd shower in there wont be an issue.

Theres no ridge in the roof? :blush:

Bit bland now, needs some colour. Purple perhaps?

... and still reckon there's a dip in your roof, just like ours

either that or your camera's knackered

I think its coming on well and would consider painting just 1 wall, the one with the heater on it the red colour you started with

Charles

Bit bland now, needs some colour. Purple perhaps?

... and still reckon there's a dip in your roof, just like ours

either that or your camera's knackered

Much better, but it makes the floor stand out and look weird. I think a splash of colour would make all the difference below the gunwhale/gunnel/?

or even different curtains might do it. minimal fuss maximum affect

Much better, but it makes the floor stand out and look weird. I think a splash of colour would make all the difference below the gunwhale/gunnel/?

or even different curtains might do it. minimal fuss maximum affect

Perhaps a few fancy coloured lights???

I'm going to gas up the boat this weekend. I've studied the BSC guide, and should be ok for what I'm going to do.

My gas bottles will be at the front, right in the pointy end, which is more than a metre from the door and drains to the outside of the boat. I will run the gas pipe behind the lining up to the kitchen units where it will then run behind the units. I'm running the pipe inside plastic conduit, stiff plastic up to the water heater and teeing off at the hob and oven.

I plan to put no less than four isolater taps in the line, one for each applience and one for the lot.

I'm putting a bubble test in and a new regulator.

Sure is coming along now. Next? The plumbing :(

I'm going to gas up the boat this weekend. I've studied the BSC guide, and should be ok for what I'm going to do.

My gas bottles will be at the front, right in the pointy end, which is more than a metre from the door and drains to the outside of the boat. I will run the gas pipe behind the lining up to the kitchen units where it will then run behind the units. I'm running the pipe inside plastic conduit, stiff plastic up to the water heater and teeing off at the hob and oven.

I plan to put no less than four isolater taps in the line, one for each applience and one for the lot.

I'm putting a bubble test in and a new regulator.

Sure is coming along now. Next? The plumbing :(

Hi Yammy.

I note that your gas piping bit is written in the future tense so you haven't done it yet, the regs do say that the pipework should be readily accessible so a picky inspector my want you to show it to him. The 'tap to every appliance' rule came in with the previous regulations, but only advised now. I was irritated by that rule when it first came in but I sort of warmed to it when I had a persistent small leak, makes life much simpler.

I prefer to use a manometer as I was warned off bubble testers on the grounds that they don't show very tiny leaks, but that is second hand.

You have yet to tell us what you have done with the engine and that weird transmission system.

Hi Yammy.

I note that your gas piping bit is written in the future tense so you haven't done it yet, the regs do say that the pipework should be readily accessible so a picky inspector my want you to show it to him. The 'tap to every appliance' rule came in with the previous regulations, but only advised now. I was irritated by that rule when it first came in but I sort of warmed to it when I had a persistent small leak, makes life much simpler.

I prefer to use a manometer as I was warned off bubble testers on the grounds that they don't show very tiny leaks, but that is second hand.

You have yet to tell us what you have done with the engine and that weird transmission system.

Thanks for that John.

I have to put the pipe behind the lining or it will be exposed to the heat from the stove, unless that doesnt matter? But I suspect I'd find out in an explosive manner.

It will be one continuous peice inside plastic pipe, surely the safest way to go? It is accessable if you disconnect it and pull it out? After all, the boats I've seen, new ones and old dont appear to have gas pipes running in full veiw everywhere, do they?

Will look into using a manometre instead.

Ah, the engine. I'll er get back to you on that :(

It will be one continuous peice inside plastic pipe, surely the safest way to go? It is accessable if you disconnect it and pull it out? After all, the boats I've seen, new ones and old dont appear to have gas pipes running in full veiw everywhere, do they?

They don't have to be in full view but accessible without tearing the boat apart, I always find under the gunnel's the best place, it should be quite OK there even behind the stove. "One continuous pipe". Examiner; "I have only got your word for that, let's have a look"

They don't have to be in full view but accessible without tearing the boat apart, I always find under the gunnel's the best place, it should be quite OK there even behind the stove. "One continuous pipe". Examiner; "I have only got your word for that, let's have a look"

Crikey they could say that about anything, electric cable for instance would be virtually impossible to prove it was continuous.

If I run the pipe under the gunnels, sure would be easier, past the stove, would not the heat from the stove effect the gas running through the pipe in anyway? I mean those stoves sure get hot and the gas pipe, live gas pipe would probably get pretty hot as well. Mind you the pipe at the back of the oven must get fairly warm.

Safe you reckon?

If I run the pipe under the gunnels, sure would be easier, past the stove, would not the heat from the stove effect the gas running through the pipe in anyway? I mean those stoves sure get hot and the gas pipe, live gas pipe would probably get pretty hot as well. Mind you the pipe at the back of the oven must get fairly warm.

Safe you reckon?

I think so, you could run it through some of that foil covered flexible tube if you are really nervous. Many examiners are very keen on gas installations, rightly so I suppose.

Yeah, without seeing the eaxact boat, i would run it under the gunnel, like we have. Along with the centralheating pipe infact.

You can just about the the centralheating pipe in the top of this photo, its a fair way above the stove (10inches?) and about 8inchs from the flupipe. (single skin cast iron pipe)

- Theres a stopcock under the gunnel, about leval with the start of the worktop, then you can see the pipe curve off and go below the worktop where it then meets a T peice, with one pipe going onto a stopcock and a flexabe hose to the cooker, and the other resurfacting though the worktop, passing though a stopcock, and to the paloma waterheater. (see, in th distance, runing up the tilling to the left of the blue bottle)

imgp3506eb2.jpg

This photo is of the radiatirs in the front cabin, but you can see the centralheating and the smaller gass pipe behind it, which then goes out, and though a skin fitting into the gaslocker. Just out of shot (you can just see the start of the square pannel masking the skinfitting from the inside.

imgp1544cu3.jpg

The pipe run is continuase from the locker to the first stop cock, and compleatly on show its whole lengh, bar and inch as it passes though each of the two partitoin walls (which can be removed on demand) and the inch where it goes though the worktop itself.

Daniel

• 3 weeks later...

Fully re-wired, took a total of 22 hours. This includes wiring two 240v circuits one for galley from a 2kw inverter and one for the rest of the boat from a 1kw. Installing the batteries running all the cables and terminating. Works too, first time out the box! Oh and I fitted a brand new starter motor as well on Saturday morning.

About 3.pm on Saturday I was finally ready to try it all out, I gingerly connected the last positive to the battery bank and switched it on. Nothing, well thats good as I didnt want any reaction as any bangs or pops would have been bad. So I went round checking all the 12v stuff, lights, all working, 12v sockets, yep, headlight and horn, excellent not a fault found.

Switched on the inverters, no problems, all sockets working, jobs a good 'un. :lol:

Ok good, now to start the engine, which has not been run for months. Check oil, one last look over the wiring etc. Push in heater switch (I've not used an ignition switch but two chunky push buttons, one for heaters and one for starter) and the fuse blew. Doh! first mistake using a 10amp fuse, put in a 25amp fuse, pushed heater then starter and vrooom! first go! amazed even me. Lots of smoke at first but she was running sweet as a nut, small puffing from one cylinder which is probably a poor injector.

Checked the charging circuit and found none, zip alternator is not charging. Went over my circuit and its fine, got the meter out and the alternator is u/s. I think its the regulator as there is no charge ligtht at all, and it earths through the regulator (I think).

I removed alternator and whilst in the engine compartment removed all the injectors too. I will get a new regulator for the alternator which, was brand new only this year and has done next to no hours at all, but the previous wiring was such a mess its likely to have had no load on it for the most part and I know from experience this buggers them up. I'm getting the injectors re-furbed, ten quid each, just to get a purrrrfect motor :lol:

As for the rest of the jobs, well I've still got most of the gas to finish as I didnt have all the fittings I needed to complete it and the plumbing to complete as well. Also some decorating and a bit of woodwork here and there. Not far off now though, pleased the electrical stuff is done. :lol:

Fabulous! As I was reading this I was waiting for the 'and then it all blew up and i have got to start again' bit, but it never arrived. Please make your way to the virtual bar for a large bottle of champagne! Congratulations! It sounds as though you are making fabulous progress and getting things done really well!

Have you got any more piccies? I loved the last ones you put up.

Hi Yammy.

Sounds great, will you be making the return triumphal trip to Mirfield, crowds along the route cheering and waving. Let me know I would like to see it again, or wouldn't I recognise it.

One day I'll make that trip.

I fancy going the other way this time, via the Rochdale.

However I will be going up to Whaley Bridge next summer as this is a trip I have planned. I worked at Chapel-en-la-frith on the bypass for about nine months around 18 years ago and spent a lot of leisure time around that area. I would love to go back for a visit and what better way than in my boat.

• 2 years later...