Skipton Festival

floatingphil

Featured Posts

Roger,

Many thanks indeed for that info etc. Really looking forward to the visit now. The Narrow Boat Pub does sound just my sort of place.

What is Skipton like for fish and chips etc? I assume they will have their fair share of curry establishments. I have never been to Skipton before and so pleased we chose that as our base-- it seems just the sort of town we like and being on a canal with a festival-- what could be better. Hope it is good for walking along the canalside as well.

I also like railways and being on the Settle/Carlisle line is an added bonus.

I hope they release details of the Festival soon.

many thanks indeed,

Pete

Just add my two penneth - Skipton is a very nice pleasant place to visit, I've never been to festival but can say the town is worth a visit.

Enjoy

We'll be away in foreign waters on our marathon cruise so we'll have to give it a miss this year. :lol:

For anyone who hasn't been before, it's a great day/weekend out! Skipton is indeed a fine place to visit and Bizzie Lizzie's cant be faulted for their fish and chips! They taste much better sitting on a canalside bench watching the boats...watch out for the seagulls though...they'll have your hands off if you're not careful!

It's well worth it, if you have the time, to stick around for the illuminated cruise on the Sunday night...it's really quite amazing how much time and effort people put into this.

We found the Farmer's Market way overpriced, but apart from that the entertainment is free and fun...and there's lots of boats!

Rather sorry to have to give it a miss this year!

Janet

Roger,

Wow!! Thanks everso much for all that very comprehensive information. One thing is for sure-- we ain't gonna be bored at all!! Or go hungry or thirsty come to that!!

I have just seen some old clips of film from a previous year on 'youtube' and it does look a great spectacle indeed. Obviously must thank all the narrowboat participants and the organisers Ian and his daughter.

I am particularly looking forward to a pint or two in the Narrow Boat Pub. I guess that will be an extremely popular place over the Festival. Thanks also for the tips re canal walks.

If we hired a canal boat for the day(after the festival), how far realistically could we go out and back on one. I think the hiring time is something like 10am to 4pm.

Looking forward to a trip out on the Settle/Carlise railway as well.

Janet,

Yes, I agree with you about Farmer's Markets. We have them here in Caerphilly and they are well overpriced as well. Seem very popular though.

kindest regards,

Pete

Roger,

Wow!! Thanks everso much for all that very comprehensive information. One thing is for sure-- we ain't gonna be bored at all!! Or go hungry or thirsty come to that!!

No probs. I doubt you'll get bored in a week. Forgot to mention that Skipton Castle (at the top of the High Street) is well worth a visit too, it's not a ruin, it was rebuilt with thinner (non defensive) upper walls after it was destroyed/ransacked by Cromwell as a Royalist stronghold during the Civil War (see: http://www.skiptoncastle.co.uk/index.asp?page=1) ...........Must stop now I'm beginning to sound like a tourist guide :lol:

I am particularly looking forward to a pint or two in the Narrow Boat Pub. I guess that will be an extremely popular place over the Festival. Thanks also for the tips re canal walks.

Yes, it will be fairly busy as it is virtually the closest pub to the festival site. Another that is close is The Royal Shepherd but, to be honest, it's not a patch on the Narrow Boat

If we hired a canal boat for the day(after the festival), how far realistically could we go out and back on one. I think the hiring time is something like 10am to 4pm.

I presume that you're talking about one of Ian's day boats? There are four in total but two are bigger and more expensive (see http://www.penninecruisers.com/BoatTrips.htm). The site gives the pound as 17 miles long so at 3 mph and a start time of 09.15 and return time of 16.30 you've got about 21 miles there and back in a day assuming you don't stop at all.....which is impractical of course. The day boats are not allowed through any locks so, going westwards, you can get to the outskirts of Gargrave for example before being forced to turn back by a lock. Whichever way you go there will be swing bridges to deal with (which is why I've put a 3mph average). There are two within the central part of Skipton alone, one electric/manual and the other manual. It is a matter of personal choice of course but, although both directions have their own charms, I think I would go west towards Gargrave.

Looking forward to a trip out on the Settle/Carlisle railway as well.

As you said, you're certainly not going to be bored :lol:

Let us know in a posting, after your visit, what you think of the Festival and Skipton. It will be interesting feedback.

Roger

Edited by Albion

I was moored in the centre for a few days last week as we do during our easter cruise, no problems, just the same as usual. Skipton is brilliant - too many shops though we seem to spend a lot every time we're there. I think its withdrawal.

Roger and Matt,

Thanks again for that valuable info. I hope my wife can get to like narrow boats etc. I thought going to the Festival would be a good start and then a short trip on the canal as a 'taster'. Been a long time for me as well.

Shall definitely post some feedback after our week at Skipton.

regards,

Pete

Went up the bingley 5 rise yesterday and stopped last night in skipton, very nice i thought, we had a couple of drinks in the fleece and the breezes, was good, everyone seems nice and no problems with the boat, no telly though but didnt bother us at all, moved onto gargrave for the night then heading back to skipton and on towards wakefield in next few days, but overall skipton great place, market good but a bit small, not had fish and chips but many of them, if you like porkpies they plenty about, would definately visit again...

Went up the bingley 5 rise yesterday and stopped last night in skipton, very nice i thought, we had a couple of drinks in the fleece and the breezes, was good, everyone seems nice and no problems with the boat, no telly though but didnt bother us at all, moved onto gargrave for the night then heading back to skipton and on towards wakefield in next few days, but overall skipton great place, market good but a bit small, not had fish and chips but many of them, if you like porkpies they plenty about, would definately visit again...

Ah, I saw you go past. I'm @ Apperley Bridge at the moment where i'll be for wee while. I'll give you a wave if i spot you coming back the other way.

• 4 weeks later...

The L&LC Society has now leased Kennet from BW, and we took Kennet down to Skipton yesterday, ready for the Festival. We have done quite a lot of work on the displays in the hold, though external paintwork still needs some attention - volunteers required! Kennet will be open for visitors on all three days of the Festival.

We landed this morning, it's looking good....There's a Morrisons two minutes away (all day brekkie and cheap booze) The lights work topside and the Garden Railway on the cabin top is running OK

Good to see old Mates again.

If youre passing say Hello, you might even get a brew.

Andy.

We landed this morning, it's looking good....There's a Morrisons two minutes away (all day brekkie and cheap booze) The lights work topside and the Garden Railway on the cabin top is running OK

Good to see old Mates again.

If youre passing say Hello, you might even get a brew.

Andy.

Just to say that I touched base with Travis this morning and we had a good chat about life, the meaning of life, the universe and BW :lol:

The railway was running well on a huge track on a huge (Dutch Barge) cabin roof but it is raining fairly well now so I don't know whether it will be the wrong sort on rain on the tracks this afternoon.

Roger

My wife and I attended the Canal festival and had a great time. I don't know who needs to be thanked for organising and putting on such a wondeful event-- I guess it was hard work. Of course, a big thank-you to all the boat owners for decorating their boats etc in the theme!! The Sunday evening 'sail-past' was spectacular!! Thanks everyone.

What a great place Skipton is. We loved it there.

Are there anymore similar places to Skipton that you can can rcommend. Any more canal festivals etc coming up?

regards,

Pete