Need a charger

boots

Featured Posts

Hi,

we are currently in the process of buying our first narrrowboat and am aware there is no mains charger on board. The configuration is as follows:

5 x 135ah leisure batteries (don't know what type)

1 x starter battery

2 x 80 amp alternators

1 x wind turbine (and before you ask, we don't expect to use this much!)

1 x 3000watt modified sine wave inverter

Shoreline (inc galvanic isolator, though intend to fit an IT also).

the boat will be used as a weekender/holiday boat (i.e. no liveaboard) and will be berthed (and spend a lot of time!) in a marina with electric shoreline. On board there is currently a 12v fridge + 240v TV.

now, just wondering what charger to fit!!! (should I fit one, or use a free standing?)

any suggestions welcome......

boots

Hi,

we are currently in the process of buying our first narrrowboat and am aware there is no mains charger on board. The configuration is as follows:

5 x 135ah leisure batteries (don't know what type)

1 x starter battery

2 x 80 amp alternators

1 x wind turbine (and before you ask, we don't expect to use this much!)

1 x 3000watt modified sine wave inverter

Shoreline (inc galvanic isolator, though intend to fit an IT also).

the boat will be used as a weekender/holiday boat (i.e. no liveaboard) and will be berthed (and spend a lot of time!) in a marina with electric shoreline. On board there is currently a 12v fridge + 240v TV.

now, just wondering what charger to fit!!! (should I fit one, or use a free standing?)

any suggestions welcome......

boots

Hi

Your situation is just like mine.

I am almost sure your invertor is a charger when you are connected to a land line.

When cruising I can achieve 70amps to the domestics - more than enough to top up your battery's in a 4 hour cruise

I have both alternators connected together feeding a Sterling alternator charger Sterling

From this you have one charging wire to your domestic band and one charging wire to your start battery.

Alex

Unfortunately, our inverter is a RINV3000 and as far as I can determine it is solely an inverter and does not have an integrated charger.

boots

Hi

In that case - to charge your battery's from a land line you need a charger of at least 30amps

Black and Decker do some big one, cheapish

Alex

With a shoreline and a week to charge you only need a tidgy charger, 20-30A would do you fine and there are some cheap ones on ebay or if you would prefer a name both Sterling and Waeco do 25A chargers fairly cheap.

It's fairly important you get a 3-stage charger then you can leave it on while you're not there.

When cruising 2 big alternators should take care of things. You could always sell the wind generator to buy the charger.

Edited by Chris Pink

The general rule is to get a charger at least 10% of the battery bank a\h rating so in theory you'd need a 70 amp charger! However If the boat is connected to shorepower then the charger has an infinite time to charge (or in your case 5 days), so a much smaller charger is quite sufficient.

I think a 30 amp charger would be fine for you but make sure it is a proper multi-stage charger which can be left on while you're away.

I have a sterling prodigital 30 amp which has been great for nearly 5 years.

Buy one with more than one output terminal so that you can connect your start battery too. Mine has 3 terminals - 2 go to the domestic bank and the other one goes to the start battery to maintain it.

Edited by blackrose