HOW 2

Featured Posts

Here's our first attempt at fitting a stove:

Fitting a stove

in pictures

Boatbuildpicschimneybasintiles012.jpg

Quick mock up of stove sitting on its hearth. Just to make everything fits and looks right.

Boatbuildpicschimneybasintiles020.jpg

Hearth covering cut from a 2' x 2' real slate tile.

Boat2009021.jpg

Flue pipe template

Boat2009024.jpg

Tacked up to check flue pipe angles for for fit - no skewif flue pipes on this boat!

Boat2009025.jpg

wappenshallworkpartyapril09079.jpg

Arc welding the flue pipe

Boat2009009.jpg

Hole cut in roof and bolt holes drilled

Boat2009019.jpg

Flue collar fitted using 'blind bolts'

Boat2009013.jpg

Bolted up

Boat-March09004.jpg

Flue fitted and painted. Fitting 'asbetoslux' fire proof material.

Boatbuildpicschimneybasintiles097.jpg

Tiled

27112009495.jpg

Gravity central heating pipework fitted

Boatbuildpicschimneybasintiles076.jpg

Chimney fitted (Also hand made) This chimney was stolen not long after so be warned if its on your roof we'll be asking for it back!

DSCN4320.jpg

Make fire and finished. :lol:

Nice work mate.

I'm interested in the dimensions of the hearth. Is it a 2x2 bit with the corner cut off?

I'm trying to work it out for mine.

Yes. Except the tiling around the perimeter. The BSS examiner thought that a little extra hearth width in front of the door would be better, therefore we built the tiled upturn to prevent cinders from dropping onto the floor. Good constructive critism we thought. Upon completion the set-up passed the BSS with flying colours. :lol:

Really useful.. hope to get down to install a stove/boiler next month so well timed.

What make is the stove?

Many thanks for taking the time to take the pics.

It's an Aarrow 'Becton Bunny' 5. The smallest model they make (I think) Impressed with the quality - the main body is steel so there less prone to cracking - and the heat performance. You don't need a lot of fuel to get the whole boat (48') warm.

Its connected to a gravity central heating hot water system which works very well. The hot water loop takes a while to get going though simply because of the restrictive coil in the calorifier so we fitted a small brushless pump just to give it a kick. The radiator loop going the whole length of the boat is 22mm so flows very well. If you haven't bough a calorifier yet might wrth trying to find one with 22mm coils.

Was the flue collar a special? Most of the ones I have seen for sale are not angled. Yours looks very neat. Where did you buy it?

The photo is a bit deceiving. Its a standard collar ground on one side to fit the roof profile. On our boat the roof curvature is quite pronounced so even after shaving off as much as we dared the other side needed a bit of packing to get the chimmney to sit straight. To finish the resiulting gap was filled using chemical metal which after a year is showing signs of cracking with the expansion and contraction. Still having said that most chimmney collars i've seen crack their paint at the seams so I don't think it will cause too much of a problem. I think in the future we might get a new collar cast properly.

One thing I hate is chimmneys that stick out at a lop sided angle!

Edited by bag 'o' bones

• 1 year later...

The photo is a bit deceiving. Its a standard collar ground on one side to fit the roof profile. On our boat the roof curvature is quite pronounced so even after shaving off as much as we dared the other side needed a bit of packing to get the chimmney to sit straight. To finish the resiulting gap was filled using chemical metal which after a year is showing signs of cracking with the expansion and contraction. Still having said that most chimmney collars i've seen crack their paint at the seams so I don't think it will cause too much of a problem. I think in the future we might get a new collar cast properly.

One thing I hate is chimmneys that stick out at a lop sided angle!

Where did you get the chimney from? we're fitting the same stove but all chimneys seem to be 6" ones and I think the collar will be 4 3/4 inch unless I've been mis informed about the collar sizing.

Actually searching for a genuinely straight collar proved fruitless for us, eventually had to settle for a slightly angled one from Midland Chandlers, they swore blind it was straight but I bought it anyway despite their insistence, amazing the 'eye' a lot of people seem to have.

Where did you get the chimney from? we're fitting the same stove but all chimneys seem to be 6" ones and I think the collar will be 4 3/4 inch unless I've been mis informed about the collar sizing.

He made his own chimney! (see earlier in the thread). (and then had it stolen!)

I thought Midland Chandlers did matching sets of collars and chimneys - certainly I got mine from them a while back.

Got Colecraft to modify them while they were building the shell so they would fit the roof camber This was done by welding in a fillet of steel and grinding smooth.

They were quite good but I found I needed to do a bit more grinding after delivery to get an even better fit!

Richard