NABO website problem?

Mike George

Featured Posts

Can somebody tell me if there is a problem with the NABO website? I have tried several times over the past week to get onto it but I just get the 'cannot display web page' error from http://www.nabo.org.uk and the other pages listed for it on Google.

Are you by any chance using T-Mobile?

It seems they are blocking all websites hosted on the same server as NABO through their web proxy.

I have made a link using a free proxy which works on T-Mobile: View NABO website through proxy server

If you dont trust the above link then you can visit http://go2.appspot.com/ and type the NABO web address into the box. Either way ignore the adverts!

NABO are aware of this but T-Mobile are totally denying it.

Here's a posting I made on Sue's No Problem blog when the issue was raised a couple of weeks ago...

I believe T-Mobile has blacklisted the whole web server which hosts the NABO website, not just the website in isolation.

The NABO website has this IP address 212.67.202.65 (which is a shared web server belonging to Host Europe)

You can find out which other sites are hosted on your web server with a nifty online tool such as this one..

http://www.robtex.com/ip/212.67.202.65.html

or

http://uk.geek-tools.org/ipuri/212.67.202.65

Full details :

http://www.robtex.com/dns/nabo.org.uk.html

These have found at least 100 other websites on the same server although of course some of them could be out of date now, but surely not all.

I don't believe any of theses web sites work with Tmobile which proves my point. (One I tested - droversinn.co.uk does work, but it is no longer hosted on this server)

Also if it was an form of DNS related problem, it looks like nabo.org.uk has not been changed since 2004 and I can see nothing wrong with the DNS records for the domain.

Therefore I am 99.9% certain that for whatever reason, T-Mobile's web proxy server or firewall is denying access to the server above, and is therefore effectively barring the www.nabo.org.uk website from all T-Mobile users. Interestingly it is not banning all traffic to this IP - only web/http (port 80) traffic and so it would appear to be a web-proxy and not a firewall issue.

If T-Mobile refuse to accept and rectify this, then the easiest option is for NABO to move the web hosting elsewhere - even onto another server with Host Europe but access to the DNS server will be needed to make this change, so it can only be done by the account holder with the correct password.

hi all.

thought i might as well post this as it seems relevant. another webtool i have found useful is

This One.

its called "down for everyone or just me". you just go to the link and enter the address you want to check and it tells you if the whole site is down or not - it lets you know if the problem is general or confined to your machine. well, it does what it says on the tin.

cheers

nigel

ps. again, i have no financial connection, just found it useful.

Edited by capnthommo

Are you by any chance using T-Mobile?

Yes that's the problem and I got there using your link, thanks.

After reading an article in Towpath Telegraph regarding NABO's response to the mooring regulations I was going to join, but I see they are taking a judgmental stance on 'continuous moorers' (although they seem happy to take money for membership from anybody) so maybe not.

Yes that's the problem and I got there using your link, thanks.

After reading an article in Towpath Telegraph regarding NABO's response to the mooring regulations I was going to join, but I see they are taking a judgmental stance on 'continuous moorers' (although they seem happy to take money for membership from anybody) so maybe not.

Would you like to expand on this as I don't understand what you are saying? Of course they take money from any boater as they try to support any boater.

Sue

Would you like to expand on this as I don't understand what you are saying? Of course they take money from any boater as they try to support any boater.

Sue

But they don't support any boater, only the ones who don't break the (BW's) rules.

In their page about continuous cruising they say this:

NABO differentiaties between continuous cruisers and so-called continuous moorers - boaters with no declared mooring, but who do not follow the regulation "genuine progressive journey" or who stay in the same neighborhood for more than 14 days, without good reason. We do not condone boaters who clearly break the rules.

I am NOT saying they SHOULD support boaters who break the rules, only that I understood from what I had read that they may be becoming less judgmental and therefore more like the kind of organisation I would want to support, and that I feel they should say on their membership application form that they will only support or represent certain types of boat owner.

Playing Devil's advocate here.

Is it boaters who break some rules, or boaters who break certain rules you don't agree with (or don't suit a lifestyle) you wish to see represented by NABO.

For instance, if a boater (and NABO member) sped past your moorings at 30 knots, would you like to see them represented by NABO too?

Playing Devil's advocate here.

Is it boaters who break some rules, or boaters who break certain rules you don't agree with (or don't suit a lifestyle) you wish to see represented by NABO.

For instance, if a boater (and NABO member) sped past your moorings at 30 knots, would you like to see them represented by NABO too?

I didn't actually say I wanted to see anybody who breaks the rules supported by NABO, in fact I specifically said:

I am NOT saying they SHOULD support boaters who break the rules

What I'm saying is that if keeping to BW's rules is a requirement of membership, or if they will not support anybody who breaks BW's rules, they should say so before taking your money.

According to sueb NABO supports 'any boater' but that is clearly not the case.

If T-Mobile is blocking the whole server or IP addresses, all they have to do is move the site to a different server and/or host. It could all be done in a matter of hours.

You are reckoning without a committee and a change of council members :-))

It will be done as soon as possible.

Sue

I didn't actually say I wanted to see anybody who breaks the rules supported by NABO, in fact I specifically said:

What I'm saying is that if keeping to BW's rules is a requirement of membership, or if they will not support anybody who breaks BW's rules, they should say so before taking your money.

According to sueb NABO supports 'any boater' but that is clearly not the case.

I have been thinking about this and am still not sure where you are coming from.

So you don't want boaters who break the rules supported by Nabo. But you won't join if they are not supported?

Nabo will give advice to any member whether they are legal or otherwise. Is that clearer?

Sue

You are reckoning without a committee and a change of council members :-))

It will be done as soon as possible.

Sue

If I were a member I'd do it free today :lol:

I have been thinking about this and am still not sure where you are coming from.

So you don't want boaters who break the rules supported by Nabo. But you won't join if they are not supported?

Nabo will give advice to any member whether they are legal or otherwise. Is that clearer?

Sue

I didn't say I don't want them to support boaters who break the rules, I'm just saying I'm not a member so I don't have any say in whether they SHOULD support them, and the idea of joining so I can have a say in their policy is just too daunting when it takes committee meetings and a change of council members to sort out an urgent technical problem with a web host. But as NABO have made it clear they don't 'condone' boaters who break the rules my main reason for wanting to join and support them (their legal challenge to the mooring regulations) has disappeared.

We have actually been 'almost' legit (with regard to mooring and moving) for the past couple of years (and it has probably cost us more than paying for a permanent mooring) but if I join a national association of boat owners I would expect them to support and represent me just because I'm a boat owner, not to pick and choose depending on BW's rule changes.

And I am confused about the whole legal challenge thing because if NABO expects its members to stick to the rules, what difference does it make whether the rules are legal?

I heard a story yesterday of some boaters who have been paying to stay on a permanent BW mooring for years, who are now being hassled because it is against the rules to live on a boat on those moorings. Some of those people are NABO members. Will NABO just tell them they don't condone the boaters' behaviour and they are on their own?

What does almost legit mean, seems to me you are not a CCer so you are not legit.

It means we have been CCers within BW's definition about 45% of the time, we have been on winter moorings about 50% of the time, and for the remaining 5% we have been evil bridge-hopping scum of the earth depriving honest law-abiding boaters of the exact mooring spot on muddy deserted towpaths where they were going to stay overnight.

It means we have been CCers within BW's definition about 45% of the time, we have been on winter moorings about 50% of the time, and for the remaining 5% we have been evil bridge-hopping scum of the earth depriving honest law-abiding boaters of the exact mooring spot on muddy deserted towpaths where they were going to stay overnight.

Norty boy.

No go and stand in the corner with your hands on your head :lol:

If I were a member I'd do it free today :lol:

I didn't say I don't want them to support boaters who break the rules, I'm just saying I'm not a member so I don't have any say in whether they SHOULD support them, and the idea of joining so I can have a say in their policy is just too daunting when it takes committee meetings and a change of council members to sort out an urgent technical problem with a web host. But as NABO have made it clear they don't 'condone' boaters who break the rules my main reason for wanting to join and support them (their legal challenge to the mooring regulations) has disappeared.

We have actually been 'almost' legit (with regard to mooring and moving) for the past couple of years (and it has probably cost us more than paying for a permanent mooring) but if I join a national association of boat owners I would expect them to support and represent me just because I'm a boat owner, not to pick and choose depending on BW's rule changes.

And I am confused about the whole legal challenge thing because if NABO expects its members to stick to the rules, what difference does it make whether the rules are legal?

I heard a story yesterday of some boaters who have been paying to stay on a permanent BW mooring for years, who are now being hassled because it is against the rules to live on a boat on those moorings. Some of those people are NABO members. Will NABO just tell them they don't condone the boaters' behaviour and they are on their own?

Have these nabo members got in touch with nabo? I am at Hillmorton if you want to come and have a chat.

Sue

So you are not a CCer

• 2 months later...
If T-Mobile is blocking the whole server or IP addresses, all they have to do is move the site to a different server and/or host. It could all be done in a matter of hours.

Would you T-Mobile users like to see if you can get on NABO's new website, please?

We have moved to a new host as well, and as long as the nabo.org.uk domain has been propagated around the World, which can take up to 72 hours, I believe, you should see the new site.