what should i exspect

lu n russ

Featured Posts

hi all just a query,

what kind of paperwork should i expect with a narrowboat on a private sale.

As i have found a possible boat but a bit uneasy as no marina involved.

Could be very little but what you must do is establish that the seller is who they say they are and that they have the right to sell the boat.

Specifically you are looking for evidence that they bought and paid for the boat - check that any finance they had to buy the boat has or will be settled and that any owners prior to them has settled any outstanding finance deals. If there is a hint of problems talk to a surveyor and solicitor if necessary - the surveyor who inspected Surprise in September was very interested in the documents I'd amassed and was pleased to confirm that I had a full and auditable trail.

There are no standardised bills of sale and no central register of boat ownership, but any self-respecting boat owner will keep the paperwork relating to the purchase of the boats. I was very cautious when I bought Surprise and insisted that I would not pay anything until I had seen (and verified) all bills of sale relating to her. I discovered that she had be the subject of two marine mortgages and I was able to confirm that they had been settled. I also saw the previous survey documents which I used not as evidence of her condition but as corroborating evidence of the previous sales. (dates tallied)

Good luck but be cautious, Jill

Could be very little but what you must do is establish that the seller is who they say they are and that they have the right to sell the boat.

Specifically you are looking for evidence that they bought and paid for the boat - check that any finance they had to buy the boat has or will be settled and that any owners prior to them has settled any outstanding finance deals. If there is a hint of problems talk to a surveyor and solicitor if necessary - the surveyor who inspected Surprise in September was very interested in the documents I'd amassed and was pleased to confirm that I had a full and auditable trail.

There are no standardised bills of sale and no central register of boat ownership, but any self-respecting boat owner will keep the paperwork relating to the purchase of the boats. I was very cautious when I bought Surprise and insisted that I would not pay anything until I had seen (and verified) all bills of sale relating to her. I discovered that she had be the subject of two marine mortgages and I was able to confirm that they had been settled. I also saw the previous survey documents which I used not as evidence of her condition but as corroborating evidence of the previous sales. (dates tallied)

Good luck but be cautious, Jill

thanks for that i will be

hi all just a query,

what kind of paperwork should i expect with a narrowboat on a private sale.

As i have found a possible boat but a bit uneasy as no marina involved.

If the boat is less than a certain age, and I don't know what that is, there should be documentation supporting the RCD status of the boat.

Richard

As said above, older boats often have very little paperwork and it is important that you can assure yourself that there is no outstanding finance on the vessel and that the seller has the right to actually sell the vessel.

Ask to see proof of ownership when you see the boat.

This document is one that has been used by some marinas, so your seller may have it. http://www.mcga.gov.uk/c4mca/msf4705.pdf

You can download it & use it as a legal document .

These are what I received when I purchased my 2007 boat -

> Original VAT Invoice from Marina

> Builders certificate

> Declaration of conformity

> Boat safety certificate

> Appliance Record

> Schedules for the previous owners insurance

> Boat acceptance sheet

> Engineering check sheets

> Paintshop sheets

> The original Boat safety check sheet

Good luck.

Mark.

We have inherited quite a paper trail with ours but i wouldnt expect an older boat will have much in the way of paperwork.

Our 2003 boat has:

Original bill of sale and VAT reciept

All original manuals and paperwork issued at first sale

Declaration of conformity

BSS

Workshop sheets

Service books and stamped service history

Workshop manuals

Bill of sale when original owner sold to marina

Our bills of sale

Instruction books for all equipment onboard

Im sure there is more all in a swanky Sealine document case (resembles a brief case)