Imminent Meteor showers

johnjo

Featured Posts

I've been told that there are two meteor showers expected.

Leonids peaks on the 17th November, so visible for a few days either side, starts tonight I think.

Apparently in the 1830's it was reckoned 100,000 meteors hit the Earth's atmosphere every hr, not likely this year, though it should be pretty spectacular.

The second meteor shower, is in December about the 12th IIRC. That should also be visible a few days either side as well.

Maybe someone else has more detailed info?

Edited by johnjo

I've been told that there are two meteor showers expected.

Leonids peaks on the 17th November, so visible for a few days either side, starts tonight I think.

Apparently in the 1830's it was reckoned 100,000 meteors hit the Earth's atmosphere every hr, not likely this year, though it should be pretty spectacular.

The second meteor shower, is in December about the 12th IIRC. That should also be visible a few days either side as well.

Maybe someone else has more detailed info?

For details, try here http://britastro.org/baa/content/view/428/119

Our shower is pretty crap -but can be seen any night of the year. I don't remember the manufacturer - but not meteor. :lol:

stickleback

I think the Leonids must have arrived early, the shower is banging onto my roof so loudly that I had to turn the telly up ;)

Roger

Oi! stop it you lot, this is supposed to be topical serious boring OK, I give in, :lol::lol::lol:

The Leonids can be very good. One recent show (not at the predicted time as is thats what often happens) had a lady near us thinking she had gone deaf with non-stop lightning and no thunder (from 3am on to dawn). Other years we see nowt. According to experts this year on the evening of the 17th 9 to about 11pm gmt should be good but they have been wrong before and it might rain. If you do get a clear sky and the things are in action the show can be good but it can be localised so someone a few miles away might see nothing while you might see lots. Still it is worth a look - just in case - and those meteors burn up 70 miles up so don't worry about a tin helmet.

Having said that the chance of dieing due to a large rock from space or a comet (and not a grain sized meteor) is better than being killed in a plane crash.

:lol:

The Leonids can be very good. One recent show (not at the predicted time as is thats what often happens) had a lady near us thinking she had gone deaf with non-stop lightning and no thunder (from 3am on to dawn). Other years we see nowt. According to experts this year on the evening of the 17th 9 to about 11pm gmt should be good but they have been wrong before and it might rain. If you do get a clear sky and the things are in action the show can be good but it can be localised so someone a few miles away might see nothing while you might see lots. Still it is worth a look - just in case - and those meteors burn up 70 miles up so don't worry about a tin helmet.

Having said that the chance of dieing due to a large rock from space or a comet (and not a grain sized meteor) is better than being killed in a plane crash.

Last year at this time I was lucky enough to see a fireball from the Leonids. It was spectacular, like a bright orange burning tennis ball, shooting across the sky leaving a trail of burning debris as it went, before disappearing. Apparently it was likely to be a football sized lump of rock travelling at 30,000kph.

Last year at this time I was lucky enough to see a fireball from the Leonids. It was spectacular, like a bright orange burning tennis ball, shooting across the sky leaving a trail of burning debris as it went, before disappearing. Apparently it was likely to be a football sized lump of rock travelling at 30,000kph.

A grain sized bit is enough to give a fireball. Yours might be the one that was over Worcester but seen from Crewe down to Bristol.

A lot of people were looking up at the time as the extremely bright International Space Station was passing over.

The ISS is due over all the next 10 nights in the early evening. You can get the timing and brightness/direction to look for it and a lot more stuff in orbit on the www.heavens-above.com site.

Incidentally many view the meteors without getting a crick in the neck by sitting out in a deckchair, though more than one doing this in the front garden has caused the odd police car to go slowly past observing the nut dressed for the arctic thus seated.

Edited by Tiny

A grain sized bit is enough to give a fireball. Yours might be the one that was over Worcester but seen from Crewe down to Bristol.

A lot of people were looking up at the time as the extremely bright International Space Station was passing over.

The ISS is due over all the next 10 nights in the early evening. You can get the timing and brightness/direction to look for it and a lot more stuff in orbit on the www.heavens-above.com site.

Incidentally many view the meteors without getting a crick in the neck by sitting out in a deckchair, though more than one doing this in the front garden has caused the odd police car to go slowly past observing the nut dressed for the arctic thus seated.

Watched them a couple of years ago lying on my back in my sister-in-laws field

Richard