12V laptop adapters

smileypete

Featured Posts

Its amazing that with so many electrical experts on this forum, that you should get such a poor response to the question.

I put a meter on mine and get 40mA quiescent current, but there is an initial and momentary surge of several Amps.

Theres lots about.

- I read some reveiws which all said the iGo juice was the best, so picked on off ebay for £15 and have been very happy when using it in the car etc. Also can be used with mains. So the oem addapter can stay at home 24/7.

Daniel

Yes, we have a Maplin one. It draws 0.2Amps with no load.

Thanks for that.

Its amazing that with so many electrical experts on this forum, that you should get such a poor response to the question.

I put a meter on mine and get 40mA quiescent current, but there is an initial and momentary surge of several Amps.

Sounds good! Is that one of those 'D' shaped ones?

I was thinking about using one as the basis for a battery to battery trickle/constant current charger. :lol:

cheers,

Pete.

Thanks for that.

Sounds good! Is that one of those 'D' shaped ones?

I was thinking about using one as the basis for a battery to battery trickle/constant current charger. :lol:

cheers,

Pete.

ooooo... that is a little risque isn't it? especially with all this talk about the heathen perpetual motion brigade flying about? :lol:

haha - GOOD LUCK to you and your experiments sir - I look forward to hearing how you get on!

(PS - I tried to measure the current on my laptop charger but the clamp meter not sensitive enough and didn't have time to unwire things to put a multimeter inline just yet - will let you know if manage to get round to it!)

No its a Maplin DC-DC 120W converter with 12-16V input range and 15-24V output, so suspect that the output voltage will be too high for your application.

That's fine, I'd use the 15V output and regulate the charge current with a filament lamp.

There are better ways of doing it but using a lappy adapter is cheap/easy to get hold of/straightforward.

cheers,

Pete.

Gibbo's big ego is taking over.... :lol:

Nothing egotistical about it. You clearly didn't spot the mistake.

Captain Bentine obviously wrapped his clamp meter round the entire cable from the PSU to the laptop then had a puzzled look on his face when it displayed nothing.