PMQs

Guest User

Featured Posts

In case anyone's interested (The House of Common's clearly wasn't too bothered) ... during PMQs today, Alan Michael asked the Prime Minister if he could provide an assurance that BW was not to be treated as an asset to be sold off but rather as an asset to be treasured and used for public benefit as well as for local regeneration. To which Gordon Brown replied "... we've just got to look at how we can get further new investment into BW for the future." .... and that was that.

Pretty much a standard political non-answer ... but I do wonder quite what he intended by the use of the words "just" and "further" ?

What annoyed me was all the jerring and cat calling while the question been asked.

But is'nt that exactly what to expect from the sorry shower that make up our ruling classes who are supposed to be looking out for the best interests of the populace

Edited by Phil Ambrose

What annoyed me was all the jerring and cat calling while the question been asked.

Yes, it was as if the entire "House" thought the whole issue a joke and not worthy of their time. They seemed to enjoy far too much the pun of the canals being described as a "drain" on resources.

It's available to view/listen to from the No. 10 website clicky, at 17mins40secs in (to save listening to all the rest)

But is'nt that exactly what to expect from the sorry shower that make up our ruling classes who are supposed to be looking out for the best interests of the populace

The House of Lords is a much more civilised place.....

Taken from Hansard via number10.gov.uk

Alun Michael (Cardiff, South and Penarth) (Lab/Co-op): My right hon. Friend will be aware that during his period as Chancellor and Prime Minister, British canals have been turned around from being a drain on our nation’s resources to being a national asset. Will he ensure that British Waterways is seen not as an asset to be sold off, but as an asset to be treasured—like our national parks and areas of outstanding natural beauty—and used for public benefit as well as local regeneration?

The Prime Minister: I think my right hon. Friend will agree that new investment in British Waterways has been very important to guaranteeing its future. We must consider how we can get further new investment into British Waterways for the future: that is our principal aim.