Considerate Mooring

journeyperson

Featured Posts

I've been following the London temporary moorings thread and the issues of moving boats to make room and not mooring with consideration for other arrivals. Just some thoughts on this from a 40ft boat owner, not related to London as I have yet to experience the problem (or non-problem depending on your view). When I am going to moor on an empty 48hr mooring I go to the last ring at the far end, partly to maximise the remaining space and partly so I have an unobstructed view out of the bow doors. I can leave the boat, people can come and go and there should be no need for anyone to move my boat. If I moor in the middle of a busy mooring with boats coming and going, unuseable spaces are going to occur simply because boats of different lengths are arriving and departing. Unless I am there all the time and constantly considering whether I could move this way or that to make more space someone is likely to decide I am an inconsiderate moorer hogging space.

I've been following the London temporary moorings thread and the issues of moving boats to make room and not mooring with consideration for other arrivals. Just some thoughts on this from a 40ft boat owner, not related to London as I have yet to experience the problem (or non-problem depending on your view). When I am going to moor on an empty 48hr mooring I go to the last ring at the far end, partly to maximise the remaining space and partly so I have an unobstructed view out of the bow doors. I can leave the boat, people can come and go and there should be no need for anyone to move my boat. If I moor in the middle of a busy mooring with boats coming and going, unuseable spaces are going to occur simply because boats of different lengths are arriving and departing. Unless I am there all the time and constantly considering whether I could move this way or that to make more space someone is likely to decide I am an inconsiderate moorer hogging space.

Yes, some people will think that - that's life.

Don't understand the question?

If you do this already, what's the problem?

It wasn't a question; I was making the point that a boat can be occupying a space that prevents someone mooring as a result of other boat movements, not because they've been selfish or inconsiderate.

Ideally, on popular moorings the most recent arrivals shouldn't leave 20' gaps between their boat and one that was already moored, but some people just don't get it or don't care.

Anyone arriving later who cannot find a mooring shouldn't then assume that it is the boat in the middle with large spaces at either end that is at fault for hogging too much space, even though it may look that way.

Edited by blackrose

Ideally, on popular moorings the most recent arrivals shouldn't leave 20' gaps between their boat and one that was already moored, but some people just don't get it or don't care.

Anyone arriving later who cannot find a mooring shouldn't then assume that it is the boat in the middle with large spaces at either end that is at fault for hogging too much space, even though it may look that way.

It is annoying when people leave too great a gap between moored boats - not just when trying to find somewhere to moor - as an example, on the summit level of the Oxford I often find that I slow down to pass a moored boat and then round the next corner, there will be another - probably not more than a hundred yards away. I can understand people doing this if they want a bit of privacy for an overnight mooring and intend to move on before the canal traffic gets busy the following day but the boats I often see left in open countryside are usually all locked up, and at this time of year, covered in fallen leaves which indicates that this is not the case. Surely, it makes more sense to moor boats close together - especially if planning to leave the boat empty for more than 24 hours . . .

Looks like no-one understands the OP, he was asking if one would assume an inconsiderate moorer if you turned up and there was a boat with 35 foot in front and/or 40 foot behind.

I think it depends on how grumpy you are, i would assume that there was more boats there (or different boats) when the moorer moored.

As for this precious "i wouldn't move someone's boat" and " i would never ever ever breast up who wasn't quite...well you know what i mean"...

tschk.

Also if you arrive at a mooring and there's a space 30ft longer than your boat, it's difficult not to leave a space.

One problem with breasting up to someone, it can be very difficult getting ashore with the dogs.

We'll always ask people to move up, or else move them up if there's nobody on board, if that means we can then fit in the space. I've only once known someone refuse, that was last year when one very grumpy person, all on his own and right in the middle of about 150ft of space and not quite enough room for us to moor either in front or behind him, absolutely refused to let us move him 10ft either way because he'd no longer be able to see the view through the gap in the hedge while he was eating his dinner.

Being the sort who choose the end mooring when the mooring empties I was fascinated to watch the mooring behind me empty and fill over two days and nights.

Shorter boats left, bigger boats could not fit in the gaps, others chose to moor with 20' either side of them. Then, towards evening all the larger, hire and shares, arrived and could only fit in by half obstructing the bridge hole. And as it got dark one man with two large boats arrived and obstructed the hole even more.

A couple of hundred yards on was more 48 hour moorings with not a boat but the herd instinct seemed to have preference over all.

One good thing - none of the herd was a generator man so we had a peaceful evening with only the roar of boat heating so loved of certain hire and share boaters - who seem to want it on even on warm days the moment they moor.

:lol:

Also if you arrive at a mooring and there's a space 30ft longer than your boat, it's difficult not to leave a space.

One problem with breasting up to someone, it can be very difficult getting ashore with the dogs.

We'll always ask people to move up, or else move them up if there's nobody on board, if that means we can then fit in the space. I've only once known someone refuse, that was last year when one very grumpy person, all on his own and right in the middle of about 150ft of space and not quite enough room for us to moor either in front or behind him, absolutely refused to let us move him 10ft either way because he'd no longer be able to see the view through the gap in the hedge while he was eating his dinner.

See, if that was me Allan, I'd moor in one of the gaps with my stern buttyed up to his bow. He'd move quick enough then.

(unless of course he was 6 foot tall and then he can have the whole mooring, that's ok, sorry for disturbing your dinner, is it alright if I go now?)

See, if that was me Allan, I'd moor in one of the gaps with my stern buttyed up to his bow. He'd move quick enough then.

(unless of course he was 6 foot tall and then he can have the whole mooring, that's ok, sorry for disturbing your dinner, is it alright if I go now?)

Well I am six foot tall and I have never found that my height drew any advantages - except when stepping across the mitre gates on narrow locks :lol:

One of the disadvantages is that I need a deep draughted boat to avoid bumping my head . . .

One of the disadvantages is that I need a deep draughted boat to avoid bumping my head . . .

My son is nearer to 6'3", and well clear of the roof-lining in Chalice, (draught about 2 feet). Case not proven, I'm afraid! :lol:

One factor affecting headroom is how far the floor is above the bottom of the boat. Because we have no need for underfloor ballast, the floor is only 1" above the bottom, so there is plenty of headroom even though our roof-line is relatively low

Alan, I would have been very surprised had you not responded . . .

I tend to when an answer is given as if a generic fact, and my experience tells me otherwise!

I hate people being misled. :lol:

Come and visit us on Chalice, and not only will your head be inches from the ceiling, (you are not into high heels, are you? :lol: ), but we'll also take you for an easy cruise down a shallow arm that the deep draughted boys usually choose to avoid!

Come and visit us on Chalice, and not only will your head be inches from the ceiling, (you are not into high heels, are you? :lol: ), but we'll also take you for an easy cruise down a shallow arm that the deep draughted boys usually choose to avoid!

But if you come and visit us on 'Alnwick' your head will be feet from the ceiling . . .