Incralac removal

The Hunky Dory

Featured Posts

About 4 years ago I (foolishly) covered most of my external brassware (nav lights, cleats etc) with Incralac, thinking it would forever be shiny and labour-free. I now realise there's no such thing on a narrowboat, as its gone very patchy. The tin says it can be removed with cellulose thinners, which I've tried without success. Has anyone got a magic ingredient to get me back to base brass, so I can start to use Brasso every 2 weeks.

About 4 years ago I (foolishly) covered most of my external brassware (nav lights, cleats etc) with Incralac, thinking it would forever be shiny and labour-free. I now realise there's no such thing on a narrowboat, as its gone very patchy. The tin says it can be removed with cellulose thinners, which I've tried without success. Has anyone got a magic ingredient to get me back to base brass, so I can start to use Brasso every 2 weeks.

You have to be very generous with the cellulose thinners as it evaporates very quickly. Paint it on repeatedly until the surface starts to soften, then rub vigorously with a cloth soaked in thinners. Please remember to wear thick rubber gloves, otherwise the thinners will remove all the oils from your skin.

Alternatively you could try rubbing the laquer off with Astonish on a medium grade Scotchbrite pad. (That's what the traction engine people use). It will also revive the surface of the domes ready for polishing with Brasso.

Go to your local car accessory shop & buy a minimum of a gallon of cellulose thinners. It should only cost you about £12. Pour the thinners into a metal or glass receptacle & immerse all removable items in it for about 10 minuets. It should be completely dissolved after this time. Don't forget to re-apply Incralac after you've polished your brass, coz its wonderful stuff that I wouldn't be without.

Incralac is xylene based (as far as i know from using it, cant be anything else) and certainly i find xylene takes it off well (think hammerite thinners) otherwise i usually just polish the bits that have gone through, give it a quick wipe with carb/brake cleaner and touch it up with more incralac.

- All our external brass is done with it where not painted (mushroom bases) or left to it natural colour (rooflights) and although its not the same effect as a daily polish with the brasso i remain pretty impressed with the finish and as i dont have the time or inclination to polish daily im very happy.

Daniel

I think Hammerite have changed their formulation and may not now be xylene -based. The last stuff I had said it could be thinned with white spirit. Xylene is considered a dangerous chemical (carcinogenic) so that may be why they have changed it.

You could also try ordinary brake fluid. It is pretty good at dissolving paint and can be easily removed by cleaning with diluted washing-up liquid.

As with the Nitromors, keep it under strict control - don't let it go wandering around onto your paintwork or varnished woodwork, it will blister like b*gg**y. :lol: :lol: