I might be mad

John T C

Featured Posts

But it helps

Hello All

My name is John. I am retiring in 2 years time, I have allways had a dream to aquire a narrow boat to tour the country in. I am an engineer by trade and a fair carpenter, so good at DIY. I would love to spend my time (and money) restoring an historic workboat. So would like to here from anyone that might have a craft or know of one to contact me. I have spent many hrs reading these forums, what an education

But it helps

Hello All

My name is John. I am retiring in 2 years time, I have allways had a dream to aquire a narrow boat to tour the country in. I am an engineer by trade and a fair carpenter, so good at DIY. I would love to spend my time (and money) restoring an historic workboat. So would like to here from anyone that might have a craft or know of one to contact me. I have spent many hrs reading these forums, what an education

Welcome John you seem to have aquired an incurable disease good luck, there are better qualified folk than me on here to advise and they will be along shortly :lol:

. . And I might sound like the Devil's advocate, but stay away from seventy footers. Not that I doubt you might not be able to handle one - anyone can learn (though some have trouble after many years!) - but if you truly want to explore the canals in something historical, and want some practical vessel in which to do it, I would suggest looking for something 55' or less. Ex-tug or previously shortened something with accommodation - which means a bath/shower sink, and somewhere to work. Back cabins alone are for the seriously afflicted in today's fully equipped age. Though there is much value in going back to basics, after a days filthy weather a back cabin can be a soul destroying place if your used to somewhere to hang stuff, and a hot bath.

Apart from Waterways World, and BW's 'heritage' fleet :lol: take a look at the HNBOC website, maybe join and get a wider feel. As you may have become aware, there is much concern over the 'converting' of former historic vessels away from their original format, though in the end, whilst it would be necessary to retain many in their original form, practicalities may determine otherwise amongst craft already converted, and still be a worthy vessel of historic note.

I have no leads for you though. Can't help there. Ear to the grape-vine, and personal approaches to yards and owners.

If you think you are mad - you probably are. But if you want to work on and live in a back cabin - you will just get on and do it.

Derek

Can't find it now, but there was a post a couple of days ago about a boat for free somewhere in Suffolk I believe.

The current owner is happy that it goes for free on condition it is restored properly by someone competent, perhaps someone will be able to point you to the post, if you're interested that is?

John

edited to add. found it!

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php...mp;hl=free+boat

Edited by johnjo

Thanks for all your usefull coments.

I live on Jersey one of the Channel Islands, so boats and lumpy water are a part of everyday life.

I would like a little more room than just the back cabin but an under tarp part conversion would be great, would be better for when friends and family visit.

I agree going for a tug type or shorted motor would be a good idea, I had thought under 60' would work for me.

Steve I could not find any information on what BW are selling, have you a link?

Does anyone have any further history on this boat workboat If you owned her what would you do with it?

regards John