Rope types

Mac of Cygnet

Featured Posts

Last week my long centre rope parted while single-handing up a broad (Rochdale) lock, due to repeated lockside abrasion. Of course the boat was all over the place, which was quite scary. This rope (dark blue polypropylene - you'll recognise the type) has only lasted a year, and in fact showed signs of abrasion after only a day's use - I wasn't impressed.

My other centre rope, with two loops for simply dropping over bollards, which has had far more use on other waterways (can't use it on the Rochdale because the bollards are huge), shows little sign of abrasion. It looks like natural hemp, but may be synthetic hemp lookalike.

Which type of rope has most abrasion resistance? Natural hemp, synthetic hemp, stranded, braided, etc? I do most of my boating single-handed through wide locks, so a certain length of the centre rope gets a lot of wear.

Mac

Last week my long centre rope parted while single-handing up a broad (Rochdale) lock, due to repeated lockside abrasion. Of course the boat was all over the place, which was quite scary. This rope (dark blue polypropylene - you'll recognise the type) has only lasted a year, and in fact showed signs of abrasion after only a day's use - I wasn't impressed.

My other centre rope, with two loops for simply dropping over bollards, which has had far more use on other waterways (can't use it on the Rochdale because the bollards are huge), shows little sign of abrasion. It looks like natural hemp, but may be synthetic hemp lookalike.

Which type of rope has most abrasion resistance? Natural hemp, synthetic hemp, stranded, braided, etc? I do most of my boating single-handed through wide locks, so a certain length of the centre rope gets a lot of wear.

Mac

I use 'Dyneema' - the strongest rope money can buy, it also has the best abrasion resistance.

See---- clicky

Its not cheap but it feels great and lasts years. You'll need 5 mtr plus

Alex

I use 'Dyneema' - the strongest rope money can buy, it also has the best abrasion resistance.

See---- clicky

Its not cheap but it feels great and lasts years. You'll need 5 mtr plus

Alex

Both my centre ropes are 16mm. Dyneema claims to have the same strength for a smaller diameter. What diameter do you use?

Mac

Both my centre ropes are 16mm. Dyneema claims to have the same strength for a smaller diameter. What diameter do you use?

Mac

Do you know I cant remember, I only have one and its either 12mm or 14mm but I have been grateful for its strength a time or two.

Nothing worse than seeing your boat loose in a deep double lock or having to save it from careering of down the Trent with only that one rope to stop it.

When I have looked at spec of ropes, Dyneema is always the strongest size for size. It is very poular on racing yachts because they can use thinner, lighter ropes for the same strength.

I have had this one 4 years and although I have had to protect some wear with a couple of binds its still good.

It is also very nice and soft on my hands!

Alex

edited

Actualy it might be 14mm

Edited by steelaway

We bought a set of THESE from Trafalger Marine at the Newark boat jumble. £16 for a set of 4 10m 14mm ropes. They went on the boat last April. Two of them are in near perfect condition the other two (on the side we use the most) have a few nicks here and there but nothing major. We will just swap them around when they get too bad. We will certainly be buying a new set from them next time we need some. They are nice to handle, soft on the hands and have enough give to allow the boat to move freely when necessary.

Locking must be a tough application for any line.

Both nylon and polyester three-strand are the most widely recommended lines for mooring; nylon has a lot of stretch, good UV resistance and abrasion resistance; polyester three-strand has less stretch than nylon and a bit more abrasion resistance - otherwise very similar in those features that we need in boating. I'd be happy with either.

Polypropylene has only two virtues - it is cheap and it floats. Otherwise I wouldn't have it on my boat. It has very low UV resistance (but then, I suppose, we have low UV in this country!), it has low abrasion resistance and it is nasty, shiny stuff that doesn't hold a knot.

Dyneema/Spectra/UHMWPE are all high modulus polyethelene lines. These lines have the highest strength to weight ratio, so you can use a smaller diameter line should you wish, they are not bad to handle but they don't hold knots well. They have virtually no stretch and are particularly suited to control lines and halyards on racing yachts.

Personally, I'd go for nylon or polyester three strand. Perhaps nylon would have the edge for mooring in ocean based marina environments where there is likely to be a lot of movement, so the stretch is important, but I find polyester is less likely to go stiff, and gain less weight, when constantly wet.