Chimney Flu

anthony

Featured Posts

The trick of installing a flue pipe is to get it parallel with the cabin side, it takes a lot of working out by positioning the stove and the chimney collar.

But it's still squiffy.

A central stove sounds good but is tricky to accomplish without allowing a disproportionate amount of space.

Depends on the stove, but I think I have got it right.

Plus it allows for my other ingenious feature, and is a far better use of space.

Edited by Maffi

If you have a free choice of sides, I'd recommend the left-hand side. If it is on the right-hand side, the chimney can get knocked off in a tunnel when you pull over to pass another boat. On our first boat I lost the chimney 3 times in that way.

I don't have a choice of sides it's going in the middle. :D

I walked through a tunnel on the Langolly watsit with a path down one side. With the path on the left the flue pipe would be OK but going through the other way with the path on the right your flue pipe is vunerable. However mine will be in the middle, best of both worlds. :lol:

Edited by Maffi

WT* is Roffle?

Its a variation on rofl (rol on floor laughing)

But back to topic, and a sensable number of posts at a time.

In terms of flu location, ours is on the left, simply becuase thats what worked out internally.

- Being a dutch barge style, we have vertcial cabin side, to the flu is vertical for the stove stright up, then has a dogleg at the top to come out about 12inchs from the side, just inside of the handrail, verticaly.

- 96% of the time we cruse we have the chimmy off anyway, so location in terms of bridges/tunnels is not huge deal to us.

- Anytime where moving we have a whacking great fire in the engine room, and its often summer anyway!

Daniel

IM thinking about having the fire where the kitchen unit ends and the lounge starts,the lounge is at the back of the boat.

I was going to have it at the back in the corner but John has convinced me otherwise.

How on earth do i get the chimney to run flush with the the shape of the boat?

Thanks.

Edited by anthony

Anthony.

The flu fitting on the stove and the design of the chimney collars allow the pipe to enter at quite an extreme angle, the original method was then to seal them in place with fire cement but there is now a silicone sealant which will withstand 300 deg C which is much better.

As I mentioned on a previous reply try to get the flu pipe parallel with the cabin side, it means a lot of measuring but it can be done.

Anthony.

The flu fitting on the stove and the design of the chimney collars allow the pipe to enter at quite an extreme angle, the original method was then to seal them in place with fire cement but there is now a silicone sealant which will withstand 300 deg C which is much better.

As I mentioned on a previous reply try to get the flu pipe parallel with the cabin side, it means a lot of measuring but it can be done.

32387[/snapback]

my flue will crank over 13degrees to match the cabin side. It will then straighten up before it goes through the chimney collar which is fitted on the roof at an angle of 12degrees (more than the standard slope on a chimney collar). The slope is extreme because it's a widebeam.

Lockgate Stoves do the 13degree bends but the steepest chimney collar is 9degrees.

Is it preferable to use the bends for the cranked section, or is it better to minimise the joints and have the pipe entering at an extreme angle?

I suppose the collar fitting will be OK for the flue, but the chimney will be off vertical unless I pack up the collar by a few degrees. Any suggestions?

Chris.

If I remember the collars are supplied with the top chimney fitting angled such as to anticipate the angle of the roof. My chimney ended up vertical without any kind of adjustment. Perhaps they make different designs but I have never seen any alternatives. Maffi may be in bother after all with his central design.

IM thinking about having the fire where the kitchen unit ends and the lounge starts,the lounge is at the back of the boat.

Thats exactly where ours is, and it works great.

If I remember the collars are supplied with the top chimney fitting angled such as to anticipate the angle of the roof.
Yeah, certainly our coller is set at angle, not a big one, but just about right to end up with a vertial chimmey ontop of your curved roof.

It has just occurred to me that the chimney is far better mounted on the right hand side of the roof, given that you stand on the left when steering.
I guess thats a very valid point. Only ours in sone left, the same same side as our wheel anyway

- Although as i said above we basicaly never cruse with it on.

EmilyAnne%20(0).JPG

Emily%20Anne%20014.jpg

EmilyAnne%20(4).JPG

These are three photos of our stove setup, showing the flu arangments.

- Appologys in addvance for the rather random grandparent! lol!

Daniel

Chris.

If I remember the collars are supplied with the top chimney fitting angled such as to anticipate the angle of the roof.  My chimney ended up vertical without any kind of adjustment.  Perhaps they make different designs but I have never seen any alternatives.  Maffi may be in bother after all with his central design.

32409[/snapback]

you're right. Lockgate do several different angles but 9degrees is the max. I need 12. so I will need to pack it up with a shim with a taper of 1 in 20. Any ideas?

you're right.  Lockgate do several different angles but 9degrees is the max.  I need 12.  so I will need to pack it up with a shim with a taper of 1 in 20.  Any ideas?

32543[/snapback]

Chris.

I think you could just pack it up with a one inch wide brass or aluminium strip of the calculated thickness and use lots of silicone sealant on Assembly. On the other hand would 3 deg. be noticeable anyway.

Chris.

I think you could just pack it up with a one inch wide brass or aluminium strip of the calculated thickness and use lots of silicone sealant on Assembly.  On the other hand would 3 deg. be noticeable anyway.

32555[/snapback]

yeah, just a strip less than 1cm thick under the outside edge would probably do, wouldn't it? Doesn't need to be a full tapered plate. thanks, John O.

So are these fires/stoves hot all over the exterior?

IM wondering as I have a dog and dont want him to cook his tail on it.

32561[/snapback]

Yes, will cause serious burning, fire-guard should be used if children around and animals.

So are these fires/stoves hot all over the exterior?

- IM wondering as I have a dog and dont want him to cook his tail on it.

Yes, theres no insulation on them, so they get hot all over, thats half the point!!

The dog will be fine with the fire and quickly find a warm spot thats just nice, so you wont need a guard up whenevery your there.

- With the said, if your leaving the dog unattended with the fire, i would deffonatly advise the use of a good, fixed, all-encompassing guard, not for the dogs sake, but becuase the dog cold push somthing onto the stove, which may then catch fire.

- When i was very small our greatdane managed to push a polystrene beadbag onto our fire at home. Fortunatly the fire didnt spread, and she (the only one in the house) was fine. But anyone whos burn polystrene would know, it took a while to get the house habitable again!

Daniel

- When i was very small our greatdane managed to push a polystrene beadbag onto our fire at home. Fortunatly the fire didnt spread, and she (the only one in the house) was fine. But anyone whos burn polystrene would know, it took a while to get the house habitable again!

Daniel

32720[/snapback]

I remember a certain pointer that fell asleep with his paws nearly in the fire. I was alarmed when I smelt burning hair. the dog didn't seem to notice or care.

but pointers are pretty stoopid dogs ....