Built Nice House by Canal

cotswoldsman

Featured Posts

well mr thread closed its now 6 pages HaHa!

anyway as previously said there are laws in this country 1 of which is section 4 public order so next time you feel like tying up have a video recorder going record the homeowner being abusive and make sure you are polite then go and demand the rozzers do them under this act. if they refuse take it to the chief constable he/she will go balistic about having to deal with it.

well mr thread closed its now 6 pages HaHa!

anyway as previously said there are laws in this country 1 of which is section 4 public order so next time you feel like tying up have a video recorder going record the homeowner being abusive and make sure you are polite then go and demand the rozzers do them under this act. if they refuse take it to the chief constable he/she will go balistic about having to deal with it.

Dont you start with that. We have enough with one :lol:

who said this home owner had been abusive? Had a quick scoot through the thread, I'm reasonably sure no one has said this.

I said i'd found them polite and helpful in the past?

Might have a drive up to the house at weekend with the laptop, ask them if they're interested in commenting.

I'd be interested to know if it was an individual event or just a general anti - canal / boating thing they have going on.

I'd kinda like to know both sides of the story before condemning them as the anti-christ

who said this home owner had been abusive? Had a quick scoot through the thread, I'm reasonably sure no one has said this.

I said i'd found them polite and helpful in the past?

Might have a drive up to the house at weekend with the laptop, ask them if they're interested in commenting.

I'd be interested to know if it was an individual event or just a general anti - canal / boating thing they have going on.

I'd kinda like to know both sides of the story before condemning them as the anti-christ

I don't particularly care whether there is somesingle event that makes them want boaters not to moor there, or just a generalised wish to not have the view spoiled.

They have no right to stop people mooring there, and erecting signs such as these to "discourage" mooring may well lead some people to believe that they ought not to moor there.

BW have clearly written to them and advised them that people are entitled to moor opposite, yet the signs remain. They are trying it on, to see how much they can "win". I don't like that attitude, and would habitually respond by ensuring that they lose to the maximum possible extent.

BW should erect signs opposite reminding boaters that they are only allowed to moor for 14 days, and that generators should not be run between 8pm and 8am.

They are trying it on, to see how much they can "win". I don't like that attitude

you have absolutely no way of knowing that Dave

I don't particularly care whether there is somesingle event that makes them want boaters not to moor there, or just a generalised wish to not have the view spoiled.

and that line sums up how valid YOUR opinion is. (sarcastic smiley here)

bloody hell Dave, wind your neck in

No.

There are various spots around the network where people with canalside property are seeking to regulate what those using the canal can and cannot do, and it is on the increase.

Unless boaters take a firm stance against such attempts, they will become entrenched, and others will try to copy them.

For example, consider;

Dscn2975.jpg

This is Thurlwood Lock on the T&M.

The towpath side lock was demolished in the 1950's and replaced with Thurlwood Steel lock, which was itself demolished in the 1980s. It used to lie immediately to the right of the BW sign in the picture.

Only the off-side lock remains.

Towards the centre of the picture, on the right bank is a disused balance beam, now ornamental.

On top of the beam, is a sign instructing boaters not to alight on this side, but to use the other side. If you don't know that the people there are arsey about boaters disembarking there, you will have long passed the point where you can easily disembark on the left before you see the sign.

BW confirm that this area is not private property.

you have absolutely no way of knowing that Dave

and that line sums up how valid YOUR opinion is. (sarcastic smiley here)

BW have told him that boaters have a perfect right to moor there, yet he keeps the signs up.

Can you suggest some alternative reason for this?

As to not caring why he has put the signs up, then I stand by it. He is not allowed to stop people mooring, and erecting signs like this is a blatant attempt to keep people away. No matter what his reason, he is wrong to have done so.

Edited by mayalld

it's looking good for 7 pages

I'll help it on a bit then :lol:

I see little difference between the unreasonable request of land owners to ask for 'no mooring opposite their properties', and the unreasonable request of boaters for 'anglers not to fish opposite their moorings' NIMBY's in each case.

It is rumored that on the K&A in the 'longpound' an owner of a house beside the canal buys a few winter moorings around his house just so he has a quiet winter, mad IMO

Paul

I'll help it on a bit then :lol:

I see little difference between the unreasonable request of land owners to ask for 'no mooring opposite their properties', and the unreasonable request of boaters for 'anglers not to fish opposite their moorings' NIMBY's in each case.

I have no objection to anglers drowning maggot opposite my mooring.

I do have an objection to them using the boat to bounce bait off, or tapping on the boat with the end of their penis substitute, because they are trying to get at the fish that are hiding underneath it.

Can you suggest some alternative reason for this?

because maybe they would like us mature free thinking adults that we all are to respect their privacy just a tiny bit and moor a few yards further along.

I can't see how you get from posting a polite sign (the key words being 'please' 'respect' and 'thank you') to them wanting to ruin the entire canal network which you clearly have sole rights to for your enjoyment. How dare they enjoy a little piece of it peacefully. Sheesh, these people . . .

I have no objection to anglers drowning maggot opposite my mooring.

I do have an objection to them using the boat to bounce bait off, or tapping on the boat with the end of their penis substitute, because they are trying to get at the fish that are hiding underneath it.

ahhh, so now I see. Interesting :lol: Ever spoken to the fishermen directly or just talked about it on the net?

Some years ago a lovely elderly couple lived on a lovely NB at Parbold on the Leeds Liverpool. They tied up opposite some yuppi flats that were fairly new at the time (other side of canal.) Some idiot came out of one flat and asked them to move, saying, "I didn't pay all this money to look out of my window at your bloody boat!" The old boy moved because he didn't want trouble, but curiously a lot more boats seemed to moor there regularly after the story got out. I have never worked out why :lol:

Funnily enough i worked with the mother of another resident in those flats. They paid a fee for the moorings on the flats side as part of their service charge so as to prevent people mooring there; assuming they are on the site of the old mill

I broke down there and stayed on the towpath side for a few days many moons ago and the son of my colleague, who was a very nice chap, explained to certain residents who were moaning exactly how many legs they didn't have too stand on. Apparently it was a matter of tremendous ire between the residents as to whether the boats were boon or burden.

because maybe they would like us mature free thinking adults that we all are to respect their privacy just a tiny bit and moor a few yards further along.

I can't see how you get from posting a polite sign (the key words being 'please' 'respect' and 'thank you') to them wanting to ruin the entire canal network which you clearly have sole rights to for your enjoyment. How dare they enjoy a little piece of it peacefully. Sheesh, these people . . .

They bought a house at the side of a canal. They don't have any reasonable grounds to expect that the canal will be devoid of boats or that boats will avoid mooring near their house.

Yes, they use the word "respect", but what of it. What respect are they showing for the boaters? None, they are trying to shoo them away.

They are no different from the idiots who put traffic cones outside their houses to reserve "their" bit of road, or the celebrities who erect signs trying to keep people off public rights of way near their homes.

If these people want a water feature at the bottom of their garden, but not boats moored there, they need to buy a house elsewhere, and build their own water feature.

You do seem to be carrying a torch for these people. Are you sure you don't know them?

ahhh, so now I see. Interesting :lol: Ever spoken to the fishermen directly or just talked about it on the net?

I have spoken to fishermen directly.

They bought a house at the side of a canal. They don't have any reasonable grounds to expect that the canal will be devoid of boats or that boats will avoid mooring near their house.

Yes, they use the word "respect", but what of it. What respect are they showing for the boaters? None, they are trying to shoo them away.

They are no different from the idiots who put traffic cones outside their houses to reserve "their" bit of road, or the celebrities who erect signs trying to keep people off public rights of way near their homes.

If these people want a water feature at the bottom of their garden, but not boats moored there, they need to buy a house elsewhere, and build their own water feature.

You do seem to be carrying a torch for these people. Are you sure you don't know them?

I'm with you on this one Dave. Don't see how it constitutes sticking your neck out at all - seems absolutely obvious.

Anyway, how is having a boat moored at (or is it opposite, even?) the end of their garden any kind of threat to their privacy? It's not like anyone's going to go up and peer in their windows.

i agree with some of his argument, in fact some parts of the entire argument. I just don't agree with the way some of the posters on this thread feel these people need to be made to feel more miserable for what seems such a minor 'offence'

They have asked people to not moor there. They haven't demanded. They haven't abused or injured anyone or damaged any property.

You'd think they'd eaten someone's first born or something