Kennet and Avon

Russell and Sue Powis

Featured Posts

We live on the A, but there are also moorings on the K. Just local knowledge really. Best to get down there and ask around - that's what we did. It is very crowded on the canal though. We're moored up in Bath at the moment, but heading back to the river at the weekend - it's much quieter down there!

Edited by tomandsophie

Since we got our boat down to the K+A in early July we have been out every weekend bar one on the eastern part of the navigation and bloody marvellous it has been as well! We have a limited amount of time available and only one direction to travel in (the other way is the Thames and I don't have a licence). This means we have travelled the same route and moored roughly in the same places virtually every weekend (moorings on this part are not as commonplace as most canals as it is mostly river!) and do you know it hasn't made a blind bit of difference, in fact we have loved every minute of it! My house and garden are looking like a tip, as all I do is work and cruise and from this weekend we actually have a whole week off to enjoy it even more. Won't be doing too much as we intend to use some of the time to do a bit of winter maintenance and painting but will probably go to Kintbury and back - can't wait and we will probably light our solid fuel stove for the first time - do you know I have never used one!! I am enjoying it so much that yesterday I handed in my notice at work - I am taking early retirement to enjoy it even more. Can't wait for that either!

As regards your query about the end of October then I have no reason to believe we wont be out then as well, in fact from the 29th I have about 6 days off so we may be on another extended cruise and I'll certainly look out for you. In the meantime if you want any info on the eastern part of the K+A I could probably help.

Re the conversation about moorings on the K+A I was amazed to talk to 3 boaters just recently while sharing locks(seperately, they weren't together or anything) all of whom were moving their boats to new moorings on the K+A. 2 were moving to Bath and one to Kintbury, the two moving to Bath were both liveaboards who said, and I quote, that they had been offered residential moorings which is even more surprising. I thought it was supposed to be full to bursting down there but obviously not.

Anyway Russel and Sue you wont need to worry about crowds on 'my' end of the waterway, we were out last weekend and it was practically empty - marvellous!

Graham and Marie,

NB. Dunwuryin

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a bit fed up at the minute ..... I've been offered two residential moorings on the K&A at two different marinas near Bath only to have the offers rescinded at take-up because I have a daughter under 18. I've been told that it's because the marinas don't have the correct permission to allow residential moorings officially but turn a blind eye except where there are under-18s involved. I asked the first marina whether she would be allowed into the marina if we were to have a non-residential berth and was told that no children were permitted quayside. She would need to be picked up from outside of the premises of the marina (a choice between a weirside towpath or a riverbank). This is patently dangerous - has anybody else come across this elsewhere?

Yours in total frustration ('cos we can't buy a boat yet) but happy the moorings are being taken up....

W