Can't Engage Neutral

Featured Posts

Hello

I have a problem with my hand throttle/gear control: when I pull it out, to engage neutral, nowt happens. I can spin it freely around and around and neutral will not engage: although forward and reverse gears seem to engage ok.

I've a BMC 1800 engine and the control, a single handle jobby, has MM Marine printed on it.

It looks to me that all the cables are connected correctly, to the control and the engine, and I'm at a loss as what to do.

It's particularly galling as it happened after I had an engineer who was sorting out a smoky engine (now diagnosed as a leak in the return pipe).

I don't know if he was over heavyhanded in pulling the control in and out of gear (without using the release button of course).

Anyway, if anybody has any idea what the problem might be I would be grateful for any replies.

can you disconnect the cable at the gear box and try forwards neutral and reverse with no cables connected if you can its likely that the cable/s need adjusting,

if it doesnt work there maybe something wrong with gearbox but unlikely

can you get any gears?

it is possible that the screw that holds the lever on has come undone. On the front of the lever at the base, is a cover. Pull it off (or flip it off using a screw driver) then tighten up the screw....

Edited by Bones

can you get any gears?

it is possible that the screw that holds the lever on has come undone. On the front of the lever at the base, is a cover. Pull it off (or flip it off using a screw driver) then tighten up the screw....

:lol: THANK YOU.

Yes it was the screw under the cover that needed tightening: it had come loose.

Many many thanks for everybody's help.

I have a problem with my hand throttle/gear control: when I pull it out, to engage neutral, nowt happens. I can spin it freely around and around and neutral will not engage: although forward and reverse gears seem to engage ok.

I've a BMC 1800 engine and the control, a single handle jobby, has MM Marine printed on it.

It looks to me that all the cables are connected correctly, to the control and the engine, and I'm at a loss as what to do.

It could be Mercury Marine?

There are basically three types, those with a lever (normally up to release), those where the whole lever pulls out and those with a separate button that pulls out. In all cases this simply releases the gear selection cable so it does not operate.

If you are having a problem releasing the gear selection so you can rev. up the engine out of gear, then this will normally relate to the adjustment. It needs to be in neutral at the mid postion. Check the cable clamps at both ends (with the mechanic if any has been disturbed it is likely at the gearbox end). If they are sound check all the adjustments (see if any locknuts have worked loose etc.)

can you get any gears?

Looks like you're a hero(ine) too Bones :lol: