Long term rental wanted

heyjude999

Featured Posts

I am looking for help.

Our new boat build looks like it might take longer than anticipated, we have been told that renting our house would be good now whilst things are buoyant (ha ha). Waiting till Xmas would take longer to rent it out and produce less income.

We have a mooring ready for our boat so wondered if there were any long term rental companies out there ( I have not been able to find any on the internet) or if anyone was looking for some income over the next few weeks up to Xmas.

The boat once in situ would not be moved, we would be perfect tenants, we would be prepared to enter in to a legal contract and pay a bond.

This sounds like the other side of what is being asked in another thread,

As I understand it a private boater cannot let their boat out for reward unless.....

1) It has the more stringent BSS certificate required.

2) It has an appropriate licence.

and I think in most cases.....

3) Additional insurance cover would be required.

Although many people might relish a few months income from a boat they are not actively using, for most trying to make such a thing fully legal would not be worth the bother.

Unless I'm missing something too, anybody in this position is not using their boat, so cannot be continuously cruising. So it should already be on a permanent mooring which will need paying for. As the permanent mooring is usually by far the single biggest boating cost, if they had to continue to pay it whilst you had their boat elsewhere, it would eat into anything they might make out of the deal.

If I have misunderstood the question though, please put me right.......

The thought was there, well it seemed good at the time.

I know it's a bit pie in the sky but you have to ask.

Maybe someone will come up with a long term rental company I can try.There is liitle or nothing I can find on the web.

Thank you.

This sounds like the other side of what is being asked in another thread,

As I understand it a private boater cannot let their boat out for reward unless.....

1) It has the more stringent BSS certificate required.

2) It has an appropriate licence.

and I think in most cases.....

3) Additional insurance cover would be required.

Although many people might relish a few months income from a boat they are not actively using, for most trying to make such a thing fully legal would not be worth the bother.

Unless I'm missing something too, anybody in this position is not using their boat, so cannot be continuously cruising. So it should already be on a permanent mooring which will need paying for. As the permanent mooring is usually by far the single biggest boating cost, if they had to continue to pay it whilst you had their boat elsewhere, it would eat into anything they might make out of the deal.

If I have misunderstood the question though, please put me right.......

The thought was there, well it seemed good at the time.

I know it's a bit pie in the sky but you have to ask.

Maybe someone will come up with a long term rental company I can try.There is liitle or nothing I can find on the web.

Thank you.

There are some, but the good ones usually have all their boats spoken for, if you are looking for something quickly, I believe. (Even something like "ETRR" - "Escape the Rat Race").

At least one person who has a web-site offering such a service, (and who has posted on here), is apparently a "wrong-un" to be avoided at all costs, so if you are offered anything, it's worth making another post saying "does anybody know anything good or bad about this outfit).

Obviously I'm not going to name names, but it's an area you need to exercise great caution when getting in to. Clearly some boats let out under such arrangements legally should not be, I'm afraid. If you name somebody, I'm sure you'll get PMs if people know things about them.

Good luck, anyway.

A.

I am looking for help.

Our new boat build looks like it might take longer than anticipated, we have been told that renting our house would be good now whilst things are buoyant (ha ha). Waiting till Xmas would take longer to rent it out and produce less income.

We have a mooring ready for our boat so wondered if there were any long term rental companies out there ( I have not been able to find any on the internet) or if anyone was looking for some income over the next few weeks up to Xmas.

The boat once in situ would not be moved, we would be perfect tenants, we would be prepared to enter in to a legal contract and pay a bond.

Can't comment on long term rental. Can comment on property rental as I have a number of rental properties and have had for over 15 years. After Xmas is a good time for rental property. Xmas causes more family splits than any other time of year and early January there is always a big demand for rental property.

Can't comment on long term rental. Can comment on property rental as I have a number of rental properties and have had for over 15 years. After Xmas is a good time for rental property. Xmas causes more family splits than any other time of year and early January there is always a big demand for rental property.

If you are stuck give me a call !

Always a deal to be done

Excellent news there, thank you.

I can only keep my finges crossed.

Thank you, I will get back to you when I have more specifics time wise.

Can you give me an idea of what maybe for hire?

Cheers

If you are stuck give me a call !

Always a deal to be done

You don't say where you are, but in case it is of use I think that 'saisons' at whilton will sometimes do long-term hire

You don't say where you are, but in case it is of use I think that 'saisons' at whilton will sometimes do long-term hire

What on earth have I been drinking??

I seem to be seeing double.

Yes - there is a chance we (Saisons) might be able to do something. PM me when you have a clearer picture of what you are after and the timescales.

Ask Martyn on Sheffield Narrowboats. Their boat is currently in Sheffield Basin(I think, unless they've got an autumn hire) and will be for the winter. They do long term hire as standard - and may be quite happy to have it at your mooring rather than in the centre. Worth a chat, anyway. PM me if you want contact details, or see the website

Hi,

I will be based in Sheffield.

Cheers

Hi,

His website gives no availability till next year, but it might be worth speaking to him still. I can find him again on the web.

Thanks

Ask Martyn on Sheffield Narrowboats. Their boat is currently in Sheffield Basin(I think, unless they've got an autumn hire) and will be for the winter. They do long term hire as standard - and may be quite happy to have it at your mooring rather than in the centre. Worth a chat, anyway. PM me if you want contact details, or see the website