Rental moorings????

rain

Featured Posts

Hi

I'm looking at renting my narrowboat out. I've read all the advice on the BW site but still can't work out where to find a suitable mooring. It needs easy access to parking and pump out, water and rubbish disposal. What kind of mooring do I need though? Should it be leisure? Or is there another kind? The BW says they do not let anyone use their moorings for this purpose, so where do I find someone who will let me?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Hi

I'm looking at renting my narrowboat out. I've read all the advice on the BW site but still can't work out where to find a suitable mooring. It needs easy access to parking and pump out, water and rubbish disposal. What kind of mooring do I need though? Should it be leisure? Or is there another kind? The BW says they do not let anyone use their moorings for this purpose, so where do I find someone who will let me?

You have more chance of finding the holy grail.

What kind of mooring is it on at the moment?

Hi

I'm looking at renting my narrowboat out. ..... The BW says they do not let anyone use their moorings for this purpose, so where do I find someone who will let me?

A mooring operator would not be happy. If the occupier gives him grief he has little recourse if the mooring agreement is with someone else, i.e. the boat owner.

The boat owner is also very vulnerable. If you rent out rooms and a tenant refuses to pay or trashes the room, it is again virtually impossible to do anything about it, certainly not in a hurry (unless you have heavy friends in the mafia, perhaps). With a boat the risks are infinitely greater. With a room, at least you do probably get it back at the end of a lengthy and expensive court procedure. Boats can easily be sunk, or even 'disappeared' - ask the owners of Que Sera.

Having re-read the OP, I can't help wondering where you are coming from.

How long have you owned your boat? I ask the question because most owners know the difference between a 'leisure' mooring and the, rare as hens teeth, 'residential' mooring.

Even if you find the holy grail; easy access to water, pumpout, parking and refuse disposal? It will almost certainly entail moving the boat. What about shore power?

A proper 'formal' residential mooring also attracts council tax.

What part of the country are you in?

Every thing is a little ambiguous :lol:

you could do what everyone else does and just rent it out anyway and leave it up to the person that is renting it to solve that problem.

I don't advocate such things either way, but I do have a nice shiney red car which might be clouding my judgement.

There is no need to be suspicious.

I'm based in London and have had my boat for a while. I'm just looking at sharing it because we can't use it as much as we used to. I do know about the types of mooring, I was just after some friendly advice.

I'm happy to find another alternative if this one is as tricky as it sounds.

There is no need to be suspicious.

I'm based in London and have had my boat for a while. I'm just looking at sharing it because we can't use it as much as we used to. I do know about the types of mooring, I was just after some friendly advice.

I'm happy to find another alternative if this one is as tricky as it sounds.

It is.

Hiring out private boats just isn't worth the effort.

Hi

I'm looking at renting my narrowboat out.

Reading the OP, I think rain is really thinking about "hiring" the boat out (i.e. short term for holidays etc) rather than "renting" (permanent occupation). However, that doesn't make it any easier and I'd agree with mayalid that its not worth the effort.

Informal "sharing" schemes are a better bet if you aren't using the boat as much as you'd like and need to share the expense, but from my (thankfully) short experience of sharing "Starcross" they are not without their problems. The big advantage is that no special mooring or licence is required.

Jim

Edited to insert missing word

Edited by Jim

Hi

We do!

We also have a manned barge for pump-out & diesel so you can book us to come to you, not leave your lodger at the helm.

Temporarily sub-letting boats seems to be more and more popular these days and the only things to bear in mind is proper insurance and Boat Safety Certificates.

Paul