A Good Morning out

David Schweizer

Featured Posts

I have not been to a Boot Sale for more than a year, but I woke early this morning and the weather was fine, so I decided to visit a couple of local sales.

I managed to purchase five 1970's IWA Bulletins, including one with a photo of my friend Ron Hough on the cover; an Edwardian " A Present from Bournemouth" Lace Edged Plate in perfect condition; three Victorian Brass Fire Irons, which will convert into Boatman's brass Tiller Pins; and two 5/16" BSW spanners for the stern gland adjuster on our boat. Plus two brand new batteries for my camera, and an excellent 12" steel rule for the workshop, all for a tad over £8.

I may well be persuaded to make another trip in a few weeks time.

I don't suppose they had a "Boater's Bowler" in my size, did they David ? :lol:

You'll be pleased to here that Cath is already wearing hers to various canalside hostelries. She'll be singing the "traditional working botman's" songs next. :lol:

Well done!

However ..................

Last weekend Dave, my daughter Keli, son in law and I had to do a car boot sale to get rid of the last bits and pieces that no family members wanted when clearing Dad's bungalow. I used to do 2 a week without fail but rarely get to them these days.

Keli and I left the guys in charge and I stumbled upon a rather lovely contemporary oak sideboard which at first glance looked remarkably similar to the suite of solid oak "Morris Furniture" I purchased at great expense a couple of years ago. I had bought two pieces originally - a tall display cabinet and a TV unitbrand new off eBay from someone locally who had bought too many pieces for their home. I then bought a table, chairs, coffee table and wall mirror from the same range in the January sales. Once the various bits all arrived and were unwarpped I realised I had room for a sideboard and as time has gone on I wished so much that I had bought one but I cannot afford furniture at that price right now and had for some time been looking at various inferior sideboards wondering if I should get one.

While inspecting my "find" at the car boot I was amazed to see it really looked a high quality piece and was starting to wonder if it really could possibly be Morris after all - the stall holder then looked at me and asked if I had been the woman who bought two pieces of the range from them on eBay 2 years before!

Amazing! a deal was soon struck, I handed over £40 for an item which originally cost £350 and loaded on our trailer to bring home. :lol:

Wow!!!