The start of a long fit-out

Featured Posts

The PVC reacts with the polystyrene, goes brittle, falls of, wires touch, fire starts, polystyrene burns with associated toxic gasses, occupants dead, boat burned out.

Otherwise it's not a problem at all.

Not sure what cables you are refering to but i've not come across a boat where this has been a problem and it doesn't fail the BSS to not have 12 volt cable in conduit. I've seen boats over 30 years old like this and still no problem. We've had several boats and all like this, no problem. What am I missing?

Not sure what cables you are refering to but i've not come across a boat where this has been a problem and it doesn't fail the BSS to not have 12 volt cable in conduit. I've seen boats over 30 years old like this and still no problem. We've had several boats and all like this, no problem. What am I missing?

Correct me if I am wrong but I seem to recall it was a problem which was overstated and was with old wiring which is probably obsolete now?

Quote from post 8

"So finally, after removing tons of gravel, rockwool and chipboard.. I have a nice thick ply floor, and dry ventilated bilges below!"

I am assuming you have put the ballasting slabs back after the big clean up.

Sorry if this appears a dumb statement but if it`s a new boater it might be an easy made error.

Correct me if I am wrong but I seem to recall it was a problem which was overstated and was with old wiring which is probably obsolete now?

Rather than repeat what's already been said over the weekend, I'll point you to this thread: http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php...=26826&st=0

Tony

Edit to say that there are numerous official warnings about this from professional bodies. Here's one such:

http://www.voltimum.co.uk/news/6419/s/ETCI...ng-systems.html

Edited by WotEver

The PVC reacts with the polystyrene, goes brittle, falls of, wires touch, fire starts, polystyrene burns with associated toxic gasses, occupants dead, boat burned out.

Otherwise it's not a problem at all.

While I was taking down my lining 2 12 volt wires did touch as I took a socket off the wall. No fire, just the fuse tripped as it should.