Microvent odour filter element.

blackrose

Featured Posts

My chandler sells the Microvent odour filter element for a staggering £34 and since they seem susceptible to moisture damage and don't last very long I had the idea to buy a big bag of activated charcoal chips and make my own element.

My plan is to push a 1 foot square sheet of fine plastic netting inside the filter housing to form a cup shape leaving the excess mesh sticking out; pour in a load of chips almost up to the top and then cable tie or twist tie the mesh closed, so that you have a bag of chips inside the housing. Then I'd put a circular piece of 1cm foam on to to reduce the air gap around the chips and screw the lid of the housing back on.

Before I go searching for activated charcoal chips, does anyone know if this would work?

Edited by blackrose

Sounds like a reasonable plan! I'd be tempted to use cooker ovenhood grease filter material inside the plastic mesh.

I would also try and get very fine carbon granules.

I asked Lee San' at show when should I replace the Microvent Filter and they said when you start to get odours escaping. Not noticed any problems so far! :lol:

Probably being a bit dim here, but here goes, how do these work if they are fitted to the holding tank vent, surely the holding tank vent should go straight to the outside allowing oxygen in and smell out. By putting this vent in line you are creating vent inside, therefore when the charcoal is used up the smell ends up inside the boat!

Probably being a bit dim here, but here goes, how do these work if they are fitted to the holding tank vent, surely the holding tank vent should go straight to the outside allowing oxygen in and smell out. By putting this vent in line you are creating vent inside, therefore when the charcoal is used up the smell ends up inside the boat!

Filter is fitted inline with vent i.e. smell is filtered out and clean air carries on to the outside, when charcoal is used up air still vents, unfiltered and smelly, to outside :lol:

Edited by nb Innisfree

Ours lasts about 3 months (liveaboard) waste of money. I think carbon can be reactivated by heating up? Don't know what temp is req. I think oven hood filter is activated carbon anyway

Mine got saturated with moist gas from the tank (definitely not dampness from outside), and once it's wet the filter is useless. So I'm just thinking about how to replace it more cheaply.

Filter is fitted inline with vent i.e. smell is filtered out and clean air carries on to the outside, when charcoal is used up air still vents, unfiltered and smelly, to outside :lol:

Yes that's right, but if the windows are open the smell can often whaft back in, and it's not too pleasant for one's neighbours either.

Sounds like a reasonable plan! I'd be tempted to use cooker ovenhood grease filter material inside the plastic mesh.

I would also try and get very fine carbon granules.

I don't know what cooker ovenhood grease filter material is exactly. Do you mean I should use this in addition to or instead of the charcoal chips?

Just a thought, if you use cooker hood filters and they get wet will this restrict the airflow to the tank, then when you do a pump out it, would it cause a vacuum and damage your tank? :lol:

We removed our filter after about 3 months after it began to disintergrate. Luckily we don't have many nearby liveaboards, so we don't offend!

How about some tights material filled with charcoal chips? These could easily be replaced, as long as you don't use the wife's best fishnets!

Just a thought, if you use cooker hood filters and they get wet will this restrict the airflow to the tank, then when you do a pump out it, would it cause a vacuum and damage your tank? :lol:

We removed our filter after about 3 months after it began to disintergrate. Luckily we don't have many nearby liveaboards, so we don't offend!

How about some tights material filled with charcoal chips? These could easily be replaced, as long as you don't use the wife's best fishnets!

When I installed our P/O I put in another 1.5" vent/rinse out just in case filtered vent blocked, having a polypropylene tank it is more likely to implode :lol: tho I think with loose carbon chippings this is unlikely?

We have a Vetus no-smell filter. The spare filter element for the large model is GBP 17.25 and GBP 10.35 for the small model.

Over thirty quid seems a bit excessive. Have you checked around to see if its not the chandler ??

Edited to read - I have just checked the Tek Tanks site and the filter for the microvent is GBP 29.95+VAT - the whole microvent is only GBP 65.10+VAT

The Vetus 38mm vent is GBP91.14 incl.VAT.

Interesting !!

Edited by NB Willawaw