Previously owned. Hire boats

bottle

Featured Posts

Disclaimer first: I have no connection whatsoever with any of this but put it in for those interested.

Have just received a 'flyer' with my latest boat mag.

Evesham Marina are selling 29 ex-hire/shared ownership boats on a first come basis on November 11 & 12 2005..

Price from £29,000 to £49,950 lengths 56ft to 62ft. Aged 1991 to 2001

Black Prince also do a similar thing when they are renewing their fleet, Most hire companies do a same but use a broker instead of doing the sales themselves.

Just remembered this ad in "Waterways World" September issue.

Again I have no connection whatsoever.

Black Prince Holidays;

Built 2002/3. Hull: Reeves or Pinder. Engine: Isuzu 4LC. Erberspacher. Full Inventory.

4 year BSC. lengths 52ft to 70ft Price £45,000 to £52,000 (Inc VAT)

Choose now collect October

Just like buses none then they all come at once 11.gif11.gif

I think they will be/are very keen to sell as they need the capital. Evesham are part of the Stratford based time share scheme. They have just levied their members for an additional £300 (additional that is to the annual circa £500 Maintenance fee) If the members refuse to pay, they lose their time share. For which, in some cases they have paid £5000. So it would appear that they are short of funds for whatever reason. Webchem is right, the sale ads for the boats have been running for some time. If you're interested, I should try going along and haggling.

Tony

Hire boat companies regularly sell off part of their fleet, and give the impression that these are superb bargains that will be snapped up in no time.

The reality is that the boats normally need an extensive amount of refitting to make them suitable for the average owner, the engines are frequently abused and need attention, and the wear on the hull is considerable regarding their age.

You may pick up a bargain, but add about ten yoears to the actual age when comparing to other boats available.

Nothing wrong with ex hire boats as long as the buyer goes into the deal with his eyes open, the boat will have had a short and very hard life. Most are of robust construction with a fairly high specification, they will have been quite well maintained but obviously in anticipation of their life-span as a hire boat.

The average boat will have had thirty arduous weeks use each year of it's life where a private boat will have had no more than four somewhat pampered weeks.

So two boats 10 years old one ex-hire and one private the first will have had 20,000 hours of use by hirers who logically will have striven to get their moneys-worth. The other say 2,000 hours with private owners.

Remember it is not just the engine and transmission, there is hull wear and all the domestic equipment, those prices don't look cheap to me.

Hire boat companies regularly sell off part of their fleet, and give the impression that these are superb bargains that will be snapped up in no time.

30523[/snapback]

Maybe some, but not all companies give that impression.

I would imagine for a lot of people who cannot afford a new boat it might appeal as long as the engines and boats were well maintained. In the lifespan of the hireboats I'm aware of, many of them have been so well maintained that they will have probably had virtually a new engine built during their life.

And if the insides had not been knocked around too much you might only have to refit one or two areas for private use rather than the whole boat.

Depends on your taste I suppose and personal choice. I met a family last year who had bought an ex Viking Afloat boat and they were over the moon with it. They were just really thrilled to have their own boat, no matter what it was.

Depends on your taste I suppose and personal choice. I met a family last year who had bought an ex Viking Afloat boat and they were over the moon with it. They were just really thrilled to have their own boat, no matter what it was.

Yeah, we met a fellow with a ex-hirer on the river soar with his two sons (aged 4 and 24) and he was also 'over the moon' with the boat and had apprently spent every few day on it since he bought the prevous autumn.

Daniel