Ashby Canal

Greybeard

Featured Posts

Hi

We're planning a trip along the Ashby in about 2 weeks time and I've been told it can get very weedy.

Does anyone know the situation at the moment please?

Never been along the Ashby and quite looking forward to it.

I've checked some of the other posts and got the pubs and shops to plot along the way and a map from waterscape.

What I can't find yet is anywhere to buy diesel which I'm still working on.

Any info gratefully received.

Mike

edited for spilling mestake

Edited by Greybeard

Hi

We're planning a trip along the Ashby in about 2 weeks time and I've been told it can get very weedy.

I've checked some of the other posts and got the pubs and shops to plot along the way and a map from waterscape.

Mike

I haven't been down the Ashby for a year but it's a very nice stretch of canal and worth the trip. It can be a bit shallow (for deep drafted boats) and narrow in places but I have never had any trouble on the occasions I have been down there. I wouldn't worry about it and go and enjoy yourself.

Hi

Mike

Haven't been up there since April so can't comment on the weed situation, but fuel at Ashby Boat Company (Stoke Golding) was "reasonable" (cheaper than Trinity).

It is shallow in places but not as bad as the Macc when I was up there a few weeks back -- that was crockery-breaking shallow in places :lol:

Mike

I haven't been down the Ashby for a year but it's a very nice stretch of canal and worth the trip. It can be a bit shallow (for deep drafted boats) and narrow in places but I have never had any trouble on the occasions I have been down there. I wouldn't worry about it and go and enjoy yourself.

Haven't been up there since April so can't comment on the weed situation, but fuel at Ashby Boat Company (Stoke Golding) was "reasonable" (cheaper than Trinity).

It is shallow in places but not as bad as the Macc when I was up there a few weeks back -- that was crockery-breaking shallow in places :lol:

Mike

Thanks Guys.

Diesel now sorted as well - marvellous!

Can't wait to get there.

Mike

Thanks Guys.

Diesel now sorted as well - marvellous!

Can't wait to get there.

Mike

i was on the Ashby 2 months ago beautiful, as above can be shallow but if careful not a problem stay to the center and try not to cut the corners and all should be OK if you do need to move to the side to let a boat pass then slow right down so as not to get stuck.

a fantastic canal.

i was on the Ashby 2 months ago beautiful, as above can be shallow but if careful not a problem stay to the center and try not to cut the corners and all should be OK if you do need to move to the side to let a boat pass then slow right down so as not to get stuck.

a fantastic canal.

That 'shallow - stay in the middle' should be double underlined. We were up there in the spring and met a boat that slightly cut a corner but was still a third of the canal width out when he ran aground and then proceeded to start to roll over.

We, still approaching, could hear stuff smashing as it fell off shelves and out of cupboards. One chap, snoozing in the front had a whole upper locker empty over him. We had never seen anything like it. Finally the boat, not going quick in the first place stopped and we crept past. I wonder if all the vole holes in the banks and the eco linear garden pond weeds are shallowing the canal a little too much. No wonder the locals drive down the middle.

Edited by Tiny

That 'shallow - stay in the middle' should be double underlined. We were up there in the spring and met a boat that slightly cut a corner but was still a third of the canal width out when he ran aground and then proceeded to start to roll over.

We, still approaching, could hear stuff smashing as it fell off shelves and out of cupboards. One chap, snoozing in the front had a whole upper locker empty over him. We had never seen anything like it. Finally the boat, not going quick in the first place stopped and we crept past. I wonder if all the vole holes in the banks and the eco linear garden pond weeds are shallowing the canal a little too much. No wonder the locals drive down the middle.

:lol: What hairpin bend was this on :lol:

Mike

There is a lot of misconception about the Macc. There is a good deep channel along the whole length, but the sides are very shallow. It was built that way. A lot of people don't realise how narrow the deep channel is.

I've not really dealt with too much shallow water before so what is the best technique(s) for making sure I don't end up heavily grounded?

What's the best thing to do when meeting a boat coming the other way? (apart from running around shouting don't panic!)

I've plotted the daily mileage etc and I'm really up for it - didn't think I'd get so caught up in the arrangements! :lol:

What's the best thing to do when meeting a boat coming the other way? (apart from running around shouting don't panic!)

You can clamp your teeth firmly on your pipe, adopt a resolute expression and steer straight ahead

You can turn your cap backwards and open up the throttle

You can go into reverse and get involved in the boating equivalent of a Mexican Stand off

You can dive into the bushes on the off side

There's loads of possibilities, and I have seen all of them and done some myself!

Richard

You can clamp your teeth firmly on your pipe, adopt a resolute expression and steer straight ahead

You can turn your cap backwards and open up the throttle

You can go into reverse and get involved in the boating equivalent of a Mexican Stand off

You can dive into the bushes on the off side

There's loads of possibilities, and I have seen all of them and done some myself!

Richard

:lol::lol::lol:

Aha! Clenched buttocks and the steely stare....................

Extreme boating eh?

I'd draw the line at wearing my undies on the outside and calling everyone 'dude' but if that's what it takes...............I'll stay at home :lol:

Mike

:lol: What hairpin bend was this on :lol:

No hairpin - it was on a near straight chunk above Stoke Golding.

I've not really dealt with too much shallow water before so what is the best technique(s) for making sure I don't end up heavily grounded?

I've plotted the daily mileage etc and I'm really up for it - didn't think I'd get so caught up in the arrangements! :lol:

Stay close to the middle at a reasonable (but not too fast) speed.

Adjust your aim to pass close to the other boat if needed. If he decides to move away rather than pass close - so much the better.

After passing get your tiller across to straighten up if you are sucked round his stern - which often happens if he is deep drafted or going quick.

Edited by Tiny

If you are not absolutely certain what the other boat will do SLOW DOWN to a fast idle speed. Then if you are forced

too far towards the side you won't run hard aground.

In an ideal world both boats should steer about 4 or 5 feet to starboard when they are about 100 feet apart. However, it

is usually best to move a bit sooner than that so that your intentions are clear to the other steerer, but don't be bulleyed

into moving too close to the bank.

Frequently the other steerer will panic and run aground. But if you meet an experienced local boater you will pass

within 2 or 3 feet of each other in a satisfyingly smooth operation without losing much speed.

You are thinking of coming up the Macc? - I'm sure you won't regret it. It is a lovely canal but bring a landing plank in case

you want/need to moor in a rural location.

Phil

Edited by PhilR

There is a lot of misconception about the Macc. There is a good deep channel along the whole length, but the sides are very shallow. It was built that way. A lot of people don't realise how narrow the deep channel is.

Although that may well be true, and it's without doubt a beautiful canal as is the Peak Forest, the point I was making was that I go up the Ashby at least once a year had I more problems on the Macc than ever get on Ashby, thereby trying to give some reassurance that the Ashby was not too bad.

I think the shallow edges on the Macc was confirmed one morning when I saw a Collie dog about 6 foot out from the tow-path and the water was barely covering his knees :lol:

Mike