Where to start .....

maggiesfarm

Featured Posts

Hello

I'm very new to all this so please bear with me as this is a bit of a long one....

I'm really interested in living on a boat and all that life seems to entail living afloat.

Do any of you know of any societies or marina based organisations that I could go along to to get to know people and sort of join in and get to know more about life on a boat. Ideally I think I'd like to get to know a few people and practicalities before making any long term decisions.

If there isn't anything along these lines, is it acceptable to pitch up at a lock / marina and just go along and talk to folks. Not sure if there is any etiquette to this.

I know I could take a holiday but this is only 2 weeks and I feel that getting to know life along the waterway would be a bit more realistic.

I'm based in Sheffield so have easy access to a number of areas.

Sorry if this is a bit "rambling" and thanks for taking the time to read and hopefully respond.

Hello

I'm very new to all this so please bear with me as this is a bit of a long one....

I'm really interested in living on a boat and all that life seems to entail living afloat.

Do any of you know of any societies or marina based organisations that I could go along to to get to know people and sort of join in and get to know more about life on a boat. Ideally I think I'd like to get to know a few people and practicalities before making any long term decisions.

If there isn't anything along these lines, is it acceptable to pitch up at a lock / marina and just go along and talk to folks. Not sure if there is any etiquette to this.

I know I could take a holiday but this is only 2 weeks and I feel that getting to know life along the waterway would be a bit more realistic.

Sorry if this is a bit "rambling" and thanks for taking the time to read and hopefully respond.

As long as you don't ask 'is it cold in winter', pitching up at a lockside and chatting is usually welcome.

As for getting to know boaters, joining the forum is a good start, you could go along to one of the banters if you want to meet people in the flesh (we are not ALL axe murderers) there are at least to banters planned for August as far as I am aware.

BTW welcome to the forum!

Hello

There are a lot of cruising clubs that have premises - perhaps you could ask to attend one of their club nights, most boat clubs belong to the AWCC, their web site is:

http://awcc.org.uk/

Tim

.... is it acceptable to pitch up at a lock / marina and just go along and talk to folks. YES Not sure if there is any etiquette to this. YES.. Bring the Biscuits

Hi and welcome.

Have a walk along the towpath and if you find someone on a moored boat stop and have a chat. Most of us don't bite. How about a boat festival/show. Have a look online at the BW or the IWA sites to see if there is one near you. The IWA National is at Redhill near Kegworth on the August Bank Holiday that could be a good place to start.

Good Luck

John

You will find that the majority of boaters are only too pleased to show you their pride and joy. Go out and talk to some. They wont bite, usually

we have even been known to invite people aboard for a nose, although I don't tend to do that if I'm home alone - so don't be offended if you aren't asked in! Last time I found OH showing off it was to a couple of Police Community Support Officers - I walked in half way through and thought we were in trouble :lol: Must be my guilty conscience.

Thanks very much folks for your really helpful suggestions and warm welcome to this forum, I especially like the idea of pitching up and just chatting but didn't want to look like a weirdo !

Again, sorry to sound like a numpty but what and where is a banter ( I know it involves talking and probably taking the m1ck)

Denboy - Whereabouts in Nottingham and what times.

Any other suggestions gratefully received, will keep in touch.

Edited by maggiesfarm

Again, sorry to sound like a numpty but what and where is a banter ( I know it involves talking and probably taking the m1ck)

Normally involve large amounts of alcoholic beverage and groups of boat owners becoming increasingly merry (or sleepy)

I hate the use of the word beverage... whats wrong with drink? beverage is just... oooh, i dont know... up itself, if a word can be up itself.. then this one is.

back on topic, id recommend walking around various towpaths and talking to people from boats.

dont ask is it cold/damp/wet in winter

or, do you have hot water... or where do you get your electricity from.

these kind of questions can be answered from the comfort of your home with a simple search of this site.

i found chatting to people before living on my boat helped to ease my mind that it would be a simple thing to do and not in the slightest bit a worry.