Broken shower

BeninReading

Featured Posts

Afternoon all,

I have an ageing Mira 88 (original) shower for which I have the manual. The shower temperature adjustor is broken and upon inspection, it appears that I can't fix the problem myself.

According to Mira, they have engineers who charge 70 quid + parts for fixing showers (seems reasonable on the face of it), but it is ageing (installed 1994) and is likely I will need a new one soon anyhow.

Have any other people had similar experience? - what is the best way to go? - fix it or just get a new one installed? I am on the K & A near Reading - anyone know of any good plumbers?

Thanks in advance,

Ben

Afternoon all,

I have an ageing Mira 88 (original) shower for which I have the manual. The shower temperature adjustor is broken and upon inspection, it appears that I can't fix the problem myself.

According to Mira, they have engineers who charge 70 quid + parts for fixing showers (seems reasonable on the face of it), but it is ageing (installed 1994) and is likely I will need a new one soon anyhow.

Have any other people had similar experience? - what is the best way to go? - fix it or just get a new one installed? I am on the K & A near Reading - anyone know of any good plumbers?

Thanks in advance,

Ben

I had a Mira and recently it packed up. I replaced it with a Wickes 'chrome bar' shaped unit.

I find this better than the Mira as it only takes a small twist to turn it on..has a nice bump on the controls which makes it easier when you have soapy hands.. and we save a lot of water...rather than the Mira which was a very large knob and took a lot of turning. THe Wickes unit was standard same size as the Mira and just fitted onto the same pipe ends.

Cost was about £90

Bob

Bob

Afternoon all,

Thanks in advance,

Ben

You can buy rebuild kits and all broken knobs for Mira 88 showers. They come with comprehensive instructions and all you need extra is some descaling fluid to soak all the parts in, and maybe some silicone grease although they do supply a small sachet.

http://www.shower-spares.co.uk/mira_shower...ira/mira-88.htm

or http://www.showerdoc.co.uk/shower-spares/mira/mira-88.htm

Its a lot cheaper than a new shower and your old Mira is probably going to last longer than something from Wickes.

Mike

You can buy rebuild kits and all broken knobs for Mira 88 showers. They come with comprehensive instructions and all you need extra is some descaling fluid to soak all the parts in, and maybe some silicone grease although they do supply a small sachet.

http://www.shower-spares.co.uk/mira_shower...ira/mira-88.htm

or http://www.showerdoc.co.uk/shower-spares/mira/mira-88.htm

Its a lot cheaper than a new shower and your old Mira is probably going to last longer than something from Wickes.

Mike

Hear, hear! Quite an easy job AFAIR.

If you really don't want to fiddle, have a look at Screwfix item 71546 @ £51.29 - You may even beat that price on eBay!

if your shower is anything like mine, the pipe connections come through the bulkead from the back and it will be a proper b*st*rd to fit a new one. (my fault, I designed it that way :lol: )

if you can just fit service replacement parts it will be much easier.