springer identity

kendo50

Featured Posts

Once the clever smart @rse comments stop we might get a proper response, the answer to which I would be interested in too.

Edited by MJG

Once the clever smart @rse comments stop we might get a proper response, the answer to which I would be interested too.

Athy's answer is pretty accurate though I would have said "visible welds that haven't been ground back" rather than "crap".

The moustache is the most obvious pointer, though.

Once the clever smart @rse comments stop we might get a proper response, the answer to which I would be interested in too.

I am sorry that you felt my comments to be "smart-arse", as I have always liked Springers and my comments were sincere. I note that you added nothing positive to help the enquirer to identify Springers. What was the purpose and value of your post?

Errrr......It has a moustache:

Great when you know stuff isn't it,

Truly hope I don't come across so patronising when I share stuff I know about.

But thanks before I asked I'd googled 'springer canal boat moustache' and brought up similar images... just didn't get that what was a ridge of shaped steel grafted on top of the bow was being referred to as a 'moustache'.

Thanks, I'll try not to ask such a stupid question again.

Sorry but I reacted to this patronising comment.

If you can't take it, don't dish it out.

Thanks, I'll try not to ask such a stupid question again.

Stupid questions are fine, over reactions to someone attempting to help aren't.

I am sorry that you felt my comments to be "smart-arse", as I have always liked Springers and my comments were sincere. I note that you added nothing positive to help the enquirer to identify Springers. What was the purpose and value of your post?

Hi Athy - thanks - I couldn't add any thing to help the OP because I know nowt about Springers - just know they are an interesting type of boat.

I just thought your description could apply to many makes of boat to be honest and didn't help the OP in any way. The only distinguishing factor was the reference to the moustache which after subsequent posts I'm now aware of.

Sorry but I reacted to this patronising comment.

If you can't take it, don't dish it out.

Stupid questions are fine, over reactions to someone attempting to help aren't.

You just don't get it do you.....

You just don't get it do you.....

No I don't.

You obviously took exception to someone who gave a description you didn't understand so decided to make a patronising, superior comment.

I pointed out that that person's description was accurate and, because of your unfriendliness, decided to match the patronising tone of your posts.

I don't get why you've turned this thread into an argument, no.

I think it was unnecessary.

thank you i had often seen posts that mentioned said boat but couldnt identify,cheers.

You're welcome.

Springers went through various stages of quality and design, usually dependant on how full their order books were.

Many of the ones built to order resembled the more usual "clonecraft" shape of more expensive boats but the visible welds and the moustache are always present.

As you can see, this one has smoother lines and looks more "finished" but the moustache remains:

bluevelvet001.jpg

Edited because original pic didn't work

Edited by carlt

No I don't.

You obviously took exception to someone who gave a description you didn't understand so decided to make a patronising, superior comment.

I pointed out that that person's description was accurate and, because of your unfriendliness, decided to match the patronising tone of your posts.

I don't get why you've turned this thread into an argument, no.

I think it was unnecessary.

Well let me try to explain..

I saw a post about a type of boat I was interested in and how to identify it.

There was then I agree a post I didn't fully understand and some further posts about relating the type of boat to the type of person you might find aboard, clearly nothing to do with boat recognition.

The comment regarding the smart @rse comments related to the latter.

Your response post referred to the moustache always being present and my response to that was 'and to the uninitiated??' - meaning 'I have no idea what you were referring to but to someone in the know it would be obvious'

Your response was-

Errrr......It has a moustache: with a photo of a springer bow at which point I twig the bit of shaped metal on the bow is known as a moustache.

So the bit that I responded to was the Errrrr which I took to mean, "for goodness sake it has a moustache" - which would have been great if I'd known at that point what a moustache in springer boat terms was.

As you will now see I didn't.

Nope, still don't get it.

Then again, I don't really care either.

Errrrrrrrrr Then there is no hope sorry....

Errrrrrrrrr I really couldn't have made it any simpler.

PS Care?????

neither do I.

Pig ignorant in what sense?

The springer owner at Hack Green I was referring to, Was going south was

so rude and ignorant if I'd not had friends on board I'd have floored him!!

We were going north, Our people were working the lock for his boat no

sign of any of his crew (2 people seen ) helping , and all he did was shout orders

about what paddle should be moved or what gate should be pushed

Not what the cut needs ,I like consideration and politeness

Ian

Sam Springer probably did more than any other person in the development of pleasure boating in the early 1960's

Until then the choices were: a 70ft former working boat (and not many people wanted 70 footers then); a cut down boat (cutting 70 footers in half was commonplace); a converted lifeboat; a converted army pontoon; or a wooden/plywood cruiser. If I remember correctly GRP narrowbeam boats didn't really hit the market until the late 1960's.

Springers were cheap and cheerful, but they filled a demand in the market. And the fact that you still see so many of them on the canals today says something about the quality of materials (gasometer plate in many cases).

I wonder who will be remembered as the person who invented the floating cottage? Or the floating garden? :lol:

Phil

just adding to the original question about springers they have a V hull which means they rock around a lot and a bugger to dock.

Most are V hulled - but they are a shallow V and don't present much of a problem docking. It is easy to shove in a few wedges to hold them upright.

However, there were quite a few later boats with flat bottoms.

Phil