Sound proofing our boatman's cabin

Featured Posts

Can anyone offer advice on how to sound proof our boatman's cabin. The engine sits directly beneath the cabin and the floor has only been partially laid.

I am intending to lay a completely new floor made up of a series of ply panels to allow easy removal for engine/weed hatch access but don't know what the best approach to sound proofing is?

Thanks for your advice!

Can anyone offer advice on how to sound proof our boatman's cabin. The engine sits directly beneath the cabin and the floor has only been partially laid.

I am intending to lay a completely new floor made up of a series of ply panels to allow easy removal for engine/weed hatch access but don't know what the best approach to sound proofing is?

Thanks for your advice!

As you are unlikely to have your engine running when you are asleep in the cabin, why does it matter?

As you are unlikely to have your engine running when you are asleep in the cabin, why does it matter?

Well, mainly because when we are running along I can't hear a word anyone else is saying to me. Accepting the fact that at the moment the engine is partly exposed, we seem to be the noisiest boat on the waterway! I'd like the engine noise to limited as much as possible to create a more pleasant cruising experience.

Well, mainly because when we are running along I can't hear a word anyone else is saying to me.

Yes, great isn't it! Our last boat had a Rigas Dizelis mounted in a rear engine room (which I suspect is what you have, not a back cabin) and I couldn't hear a word Mrs. Athy down at the pointy end said.

What type of engine have you got?

slightly confused.

do you mean you have a trad stern NB with the engine mounted at the rear just inside the doors?

If so the only way to do it is to box it in

Yes, sorry let me explain it a little better. It is probably not really a boatman's cabin since I believe that boatman's cabins are normally full-height rooms behind the engine room. We have a trad stern which opens onto a very small cabin which is directly above the engine. Since the floor of this room is only partially laid (and therefore only partially convering the engine) it is very noisy when I'm standing in there and cruising along.

I intend to finish flooring this cabin to completely cover the engine but wondered if there is a particular method used for this type of job to keep the engine noise escaping through the floor panels to a minimum?

Hope that makes a bit more sense :lol:

Yes, great isn't it! Our last boat had a Rigas Dizelis mounted in a rear engine room (which I suspect is what you have, not a back cabin) and I couldn't hear a word Mrs. Athy down at the pointy end said.

What type of engine have you got?

Yes, that sounds similar. The engine room has been partially decked above the engine (a BMC 1.5) to create a small cabin area.

If it's a rear engine, in a "trad" stern, but should be under boards, then the first thing is to supply the boards !

You need to bear in mind that some air must be allowed in, or the engine will be starved of the air it needs to run, (unfortunately holes to let air in also let noise out, though, so some kind of baffled arrangement is often preferred).

After that by a mile the best way of providing sound deadening is to use the specially made stick on sheets based on dense foams, but with a noise killing "lead like" layer in.

In my view TW Marine make the best. It is higher quality than much on the market, but a bit more expensive in consequence.

TW Marine Noise Killing Link

You can use other acoustic foams, or products designed for the automotive rather than marine industry. They will certainly help, probably be cheaper, but will no doubt deaden less noise than the product designed for this specific job.

The next stage is sound insulating tape around any removable floors or other boards, as some noise escapes even through these small gaps.

If your noise is being transmitted through the shell due to a poorly balanced engine, poor or damaged engine mounts, or an insufficiently solid engine bed, then the measures I have described will help far less.

You are then into welding to firm things up, or engineering to make the engine transmit less noise in the first place.

Finally if you have an air cooled SR or ST Lister, simply give up now, and accept that communication at normal voice levels will never be possible! :lol: