Which way home?

Smelly

Featured Posts

Well, T&M and the top of the soar to Loughborough in week one, but heading out of Luff on the Sunday or Monday and I'd quite like to come back to Brum via the Oxford and Coventry, however it looks like the long way round and i wonder whether it's feasible in early September with a couple of long days thrown in, or are we coming straight down the GU and up Lapworth?

Thoughts would be appreciated.

I suspect we'll end up getting to Norton Junction and making our minds up from there but some local ken will always help.

Well, T&M and the top of the soar to Loughborough in week one, but heading out of Luff on the Sunday or Monday and I'd quite like to come back to Brum via the Oxford and Coventry, however it looks like the long way round and i wonder whether it's feasible in early September with a couple of long days thrown in, or are we coming straight down the GU and up Lapworth?

I suspect we'll end up getting to Norton Junction and making our minds up from there but some local ken will always help.

EASY! I KNOW I KNOW!

Come up the whole of the Oxford.. not that I am biased or anything.....!

EASY! I KNOW I KNOW!

Come up the whole of the Oxford.. not that I am biased or anything.....!

Shame but...

:lol: ........... and you really think you will be heading out of Luff on the Sunday.............. or the Monday..................... :lol::lol::lol:

Monday will be compulsory and a good day's croozin is the best cure for last night's boozin on this boat.

Edited by Smelly

Monday will be compulsory and a good day's croozin is the best cure for last night's boozin on this boat.

Thats the best hangover cure for any boater. Up early, shower, bacon butty and hours of cruising in the fresh air. Hasnt failed to provide the cure yet :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Bump!

If we were heading south then we'd be pushed for time in the week we've got Canalplan tells us 6 & 3/4 days and I'd rather have a coupe of short days...

So back down the Soar, up the Erewash for a day or two then back T&M, Cov, B&F and home. We can push up from Fazeley on the Sunday if we're rushed.

But maybe... If we head off on Sunday to get ahead of the national traffic... Hmmm decisions decisions...

Edited by Smelly

Bump!

If we were heading south then we'd be pushed for time in the week we've got Canalplan tells us 6 & 3/4 days and I'd rather have a coupe of short days...

So back down the Soar, up the Erewash for a day or two then back T&M, Cov, B&F and home. We can push up from Fazeley on the Sunday if we're rushed.

forget the erewash and come down the trent and visit us even better,,

Ps have cold beers

Ahh but I was planning on doing post banter breakfast for everyone...

Hmmm More and More i wonder whether I can blag the Monday off.

the erewash looks grey on't map, running down the Trent... Where to? heading South...hmmm. loopy bits with big straight bits where we can get ahead of canalplanner, but it's rush rush rush and one feline adventure could put paid to our good intentions... Methinks we might be tossing coins come Sunday afternoon. Looks easy enough to get to birstall lock with a couple of lunchtime pints to get the head back into action...

OTH, I was imagining running into National traffic but we'll already be ahead of anyone coming our way so with a couple of longish days we could... maybe... get home!

Well Rita, I don't really know!

Well, Nicholson's aside I've done the google earth thang. Is the "basin" in Luff the arm heading south west from the T junction? If so I think we'll let the cats decide. We'll be moored for a couple of days so will let them roam, if they're (well, he; the other two will be in) back in on Monday morn then the ring it will be... As long as BP doesn't complain too loudly about missing the Erewash...

Well, Nicholson's aside I've done the google earth thang. Is the "basin" in Luff the arm heading south west from the T junction? If so I think we'll let the cats decide. We'll be moored for a couple of days so will let them roam, if they're (well, he; the other two will be in) back in on Monday morn then the ring it will be... As long as BP doesn't complain too loudly about missing the Erewash...

Hm I can probably show BP some pics of the Erewash if that helps? :lol:

(Moored up in Whittington to visit the Co Op)

Well -we're actually on our way North and we came South thru Brum...and heading North via the Oxford and Coventry...I'm afraid the Oxford/Coventry wins hands down! Considering it's a roughly parallel journey to the Brum route, it's so much nicer....and you can cruise for hours without seeing a single floating beer bottle or Aldi carrier bag!

(Moored up in Whittington to visit the Co Op)

Well -we're actually on our way North and we came South thru Brum...and heading North via the Oxford and Coventry...I'm afraid the Oxford/Coventry wins hands down! Considering it's a roughly parallel journey to the Brum route, it's so much nicer....and you can cruise for hours without seeing a single floating beer bottle or Aldi carrier bag!

It's about half a day in it comapred to the GU route as well so it'll be a close call. In all fairness what might swing it is trains into work from Lapworth if we get held up anywhere, also I did kinda say I'd meet an old friend at the Cape of Good Hope... We shall see...

Either way we point ourselves downhill for the trek tomorrow..:lol: Looks like barby weather for when we get to Curdworth as well!!

It's about half a day in it comapred to the GU route as well so it'll be a close call. In all fairness what might swing it is trains into work from Lapworth if we get held up anywhere, also I did kinda say I'd meet an old friend at the Cape of Good Hope... We shall see...

Either way we point ourselves downhill for the trek tomorrow..:lol: Looks like barby weather for when we get to Curdworth as well!!

If it's trains into Brum you're after, then they're plentiful during commuter rush-hours - all Chiltern trains too, so 20 mins journey. Out of rush hour, they're every 2 hrs from Lapworth to B'ham.

PC

If it's trains into Brum you're after, then they're plentiful during commuter rush-hours - all Chiltern trains too, so 20 mins journey. Out of rush hour, they're every 2 hrs from Lapworth to B'ham.

PC

Much akin to the lakes/Earlswood then... I'd quite like it at the bluebell if we come in a day short, luvverly walk to the station!

Much akin to the lakes/Earlswood then... I'd quite like it at the bluebell if we come in a day short, luvverly walk to the station!

[/quot

Have a good start to your down hill journey Smelly & BP . I'm looking forward to seeing you both next weekend that's for sure :lol:

Have a good start to your down hill journey Smelly & BP . I'm looking forward to seeing you both next weekend that's for sure :lol:

:lol:

Well well, arrived at Luff and time for the highlights...

Coates butchers at Alrewas is second to none although it seems we have a bit of a sausage issue now, having gone a bit mental. We only eat free range meat so an entire shop full of it; on pay day as well, and we've got a lotta sausages to eat. I think the gym will get a hammering when we get home. The walls and half the punters got hammering from Bp's darts in the Crown on the way home (but they need more beer than just Pedigree).

I discovered the New Inn at Shardlow thanks to Warriorwoman who was yet another highlight :lol: Lovely to meet you both. I'd pictured the Malt Shovel where I'd had a couple of lovely nights a few years back but has now been turned into a country attempt at a trendy wine bar :lol: Food and ale was tops at the New Inn and they had Burton Cottage Stout on for Bagpuss and that provides a good intro to...

The Old Cottage at Burton, about a five minute walk from Shobnall Fields and a truly top pub, ttheir own beers amonst a bar full of good uns and a nice setting. They're leafletting boaters at the minute so please don't think it's spam, pay a visit; ideally on the way from...

The Cooper's in Burton, a very curious pub that we didn't spend enough time in but it looked ace!

I'd be nice about the Trent Navigation at Trent Navigation at Trent Lock if it weren't for their wasp problem.

Finally; the Soar's been a lovely cruise so far; I like rivers and this one's a good 'un.

I wonder which way we'll be going home! Adventures and hopefully more new water to come!

Well, fate has stepped in to make the decision for us... We've rescued a chap with a broken boat and running him up the locks on the Leicester branch has slowed us down so it's deffo the quickest route home now... I'd've hoped to be at the top of Foxton today but having a knackered Springer attached to us all day has stymied our plans. Still we'll drop him off at Debdale Wharf tomorrow morning then flank speed for home!

Still despite the cargo we've managed 31 lock miles today so there's hope of a day off next monday before it's back to w*rk

Well, fate has stepped in to make the decision for us... We've rescued a chap with a broken boat and running him up the locks on the Leicester branch has slowed us down so it's deffo the quickest route home now... I'd've hoped to be at the top of Foxton today but having a knackered Springer attached to us all day has stymied our plans. Still we'll drop him off at Debdale Wharf tomorrow morning then flank speed for home!

Still despite the cargo we've managed 31 lock miles today so there's hope of a day off next monday before it's back to w*rk