What Does The Team Think?

Tootles

Featured Posts

Just 'came across' a very nice Onan Microlite 3600 (3.6KVA) genny, (legally), in it's own silent casing.........BUT it's a petrol model. So, here is my idea. I mount it on the back of the boat, level with the combing (we have a cruiser style, dont laugh, they will come back into fashion one day), in a leak proof metal tray. The genny itself was designed for a Yankee RV, and has all the auto fuel safety cut off features. I can then mount a fuel overflow pipe from the tray overboard. The fuel supply container, (ex cruiser outboard tank), is then fitted into a metal box that is bolted onto the rear fender steel mounting bars, but of coarse within the fender. The genny has a full remote unit, which can then be fitted into the galley.

Does this sound OK, from both a safety point of view, and from the BSS angle??

Dave.

Just 'came across' a very nice Onan Microlite 3600 (3.6KVA) genny, (legally), in it's own silent casing.........BUT it's a petrol model. So, here is my idea. I mount it on the back of the boat, level with the combing (we have a cruiser style, dont laugh, they will come back into fashion one day), in a leak proof metal tray. The genny itself was designed for a Yankee RV, and has all the auto fuel safety cut off features. I can then mount a fuel overflow pipe from the tray overboard. The fuel supply container, (ex cruiser outboard tank), is then fitted into a metal box that is bolted onto the rear fender steel mounting bars, but of coarse within the fender. The genny has a full remote unit, which can then be fitted into the galley.

Dave.

From a BSS point of view the best bet with a genny is to put it in the boot of the car or on someone else's boat during the 'inspection' :lol:

Dave.

Can't see a problem with that, as long as any fuel spillage/fumes vent overboard and any oil is contained.

Just to ask the question - is it total insanity to run a generator on the back step of a trad narrowboat, tucked right inside under the hatch cover?

I hope there is not a narrowboat full of dead bodies moored on the landing stage and in the winding hole below Clitheroes Lock on the GU! Perhaps that is why their continuous cruising involves never moving, they are so lethargic from carbon monoxide poisoning!

From a BSS point of view the best bet with a genny is to put it in the boot of the car or on someone else's boat during the 'inspection'

Best idea yet. My BSS is on the 14th September 2010, so could you pop around and lift it into the boot for me?? A snip at 180kg!!

Thanks guys. I will go ahead and fit this. As for the point about enclosed generators in boats, I remember seeing one fitted into the engine room of a boat on the Macc many years ago. I commented to the owner about the carbon monoxide question, to which he replied, "Oh, I don't bother with that, because this is a diesel engine.........." :lol: