Braunston

purplehaze

Featured Posts

Hi everyone

As an aside when I posted a request for information in regard to places to eat in Braunston I mentioned that we had noticed a remarkable loss of local services for this village. We were there a couple of years ago and so many shops had been closed. Why? This village is so important to the canal network and was a very busy and vibrant place what has happened to such an important village on the canals?

Julie

Hi everyone

As an aside when I posted a request for information in regard to places to eat in Braunston I mentioned that we had noticed a remarkable loss of local services for this village. We were there a couple of years ago and so many shops had been closed. Why? This village is so important to the canal network and was a very busy and vibrant place what has happened to such an important village on the canals?

Julie

What services have been lost in the past few years? The butcher is there, the Londis is there, the pubs are all still there. I'd like to know what you think has gone missing, but whatever has gone is for the reason that both local people and boaters go to Tesco or wherever instead. You can't have your cake and eat it.

I am not so sure there is a great deal missing but I don't know why we would consider Braunston immune from the trend of local shops giving way to out of town big boys in the retail trade or in major centres.

I am not so sure there is a great deal missing but I don't know why we would consider Braunston immune from the trend of local shops giving way to out of town big boys in the retail trade or in major centres.

I have known Braunston for over 40 years, and the biggest change is in the canalside pubs, The Rose and Castle has changed out of all recognition, and the Nelson has smartened up considerably.

I have known Braunston for over 40 years, and the biggest change is in the canalside pubs, The Rose and Castle has changed out of all recognition, and the Nelson has smartened up considerably.

That is very true but they are not missing though just changed some may say not for the better but they are still there.

So have his prices!

Chris G

What does he charge these days. When He decorated my side panels and Deck Board ten years ago, I thought his prices were very reasonable

I payed him for two full days even though he had finished by lunchtime on the second day. It was still a bargain compared with others in the area. And much better (In my opinion).

Edited by David Schweizer

What does he charge these days. When He decorated my side panels and Deck Board ten years ago, I thought his prices were very reasonable

I payed him for two full days even though he had finished by lunchtime on the second day. It was still a bargain compared with others in the area. And much better (In my opinion).

Still very reasonable - he has just done 5 pairs of replacement doors for Daedalus, but I think that was at the upper end of the size of job he does these days ( I can see why - just making the doors and doing the priming and undercoating was enough for me!).

He did say that when he painted boats for Hancock and Lane in the 70s, he was paid something like £120 for the painting and signwriting - times change!

Chris G