6 year old survey?

niloc

Featured Posts

rolleyes: Well i have managed to sell my boat. I have also found a nice little 40 footer as a replacement. There is a questionmark as to whether she is a Springer or not? I am told she has a slight v bottom? The last survey was completed 6 years ago, it was good. It stated some wear but only to a maximum of .2 of a mm.[ my memory aint to good] I beleive the bottom plate to be 5 or 6 mm and she was built 1989. Bear in mind i have only had the one quickish look. My ? is if she had so little wear after some 14 years , what will she be like 6 years later? Not blacked for 6 years either,so anodes possibly worn. Im trying to avoid a survey but im slowly talking myself out of it.Funds are tight as usual and i cant see the seller helping out . Main point is i like the boat. Looked at several and this one really stands out as just right for me.Sort of a gut feeling i suppose.

rolleyes: Well i have managed to sell my boat. I have also found a nice little 40 footer as a replacement. There is a questionmark as to whether she is a Springer or not? I am told she has a slight v bottom? The last survey was completed 6 years ago, it was good. It stated some wear but only to a maximum of .2 of a mm.[ my memory aint to good] I beleive the bottom plate to be 5 or 6 mm and she was built 1989. Bear in mind i have only had the one quickish look. My ? is if she had so little wear after some 14 years , what will she be like 6 years later? Not blacked for 6 years either,so anodes possibly worn. Im trying to avoid a survey but im slowly talking myself out of it.Funds are tight as usual and i cant see the seller helping out . Main point is i like the boat. Looked at several and this one really stands out as just right for me.Sort of a gut feeling i suppose.

If you are confident with other areas, maybe you could cut costs by just having a hull survey and getting an ultrasound thickness test? If it were me, that is the very minimum I would consider.

I am told Springers were built from good stuff hence the amount still floating.

Edited by Guest

Thanks Cat, does that mean the boat still to be lifted out?

Certainly boats I have had hull-surveyed were lifted out. Not sure if hull thickness can be measured afloat.

Any pictures? Mike Heywood boats were also built with a slight v bottom

It's possible some were I suppose.

Those I have seen slipped were not though - they are completely flat bottomed usually.

EDITED:

To add - The various Springer styles are usually fairly easy to spot, so a picture should let somebody confirm it.

Faulkners at Cosgrove are sometimes credited with building Springer clones, but they apparently ceased production much earlier, (the 1970s ?).

Edited by alan_fincher

Niloc

Phylis is right. Get it surveyed.

if it hasn't been blacked for 6 years (because the previous owner didn't believe in blacking), its a fair chance that the anodes where replaced 6 years ago. Prior to the six years the hull may have been looked after by a very conscientious owner who regularly blacked the boat and changed the anodes.

The anodes could have given up a few years ago and the hull may have deteriorated quite considerably over the last few years.

a 20 year old boat - get it surveyed

The last survey tells you what the boat was like six years ago. It tells you nothing about the current state of the hull.

When it comes down to it, you are talking about taking a punt of several thousand squid with a possible gain of a few hundred (the saving on the survey). That doesn't sound like much of a deal, does it?