broadband on the canal

jack.allen54

Featured Posts

Well - my dongle arrived in today's post - very impressed!

Plugged it into the lappy and 2cvbloke was spot on - it was dead easy to install.

However - the next bit is to buy a top-up. Then the top-up has to be converted to an add-on - £10 for 1Gb, £15 for 3Gb, £25 for 7 Gb. I knew these prices - they were posted earlier - but they expire one month after purchase. If you don't convert to the add-on after you top-up you'll pay £1 per mb. My son informs me there are 1000 mb in a Gb - £1000 per Gb! :lol: I was hoping for a pay as you go option where the unused stuff doesn't disappear - we're only on the boat weekends at the mo so may not use it all up in a month.

Not feeling too hard done by in this instance - paid £4.95 postage for the dongle (thanks MikeV) and will pay £10 for 1Gb just to see how much we use - cos we have no idea how much of this strange currency our normal surfing uses. But are there any proper pay as you go deals around where you can pay for so many Gb and then buy some more when you've used them up that don't charge the earth?

Also, if I find one can I still use my 3 dongle or do I have to buy a new one?

You really don't have to buy £10 worth!

Just go into top up and buy Internet monthly for £5, if you want a months worth.

Or if your like me, don't want mobile broadband continually, just buy £2.50's worth, or even a 50 pence worth, like I did at the weekend whilst down the boat. :lol:

I can honestly say that I have never run out.

Don't forget to que up another month/week if you so wish.

Nipper

Nipper

I am being really dumb here.

Can you tell me in simpler terms what you mean.

My dongle arrived yesterday (impressed) but I have not registered it yet. I don't intend to do so for sometime, would this be a problem?

If I register and put up £10, but don't use it at all within a month, then all I have to do is put, say, a couple of pounds on and that "credit" will remain for another month and then do it all over again and so on? The credits carryon from month to month?

Martyn

Nipper

I am being really dumb here.

Can you tell me in simpler terms what you mean.

My dongle arrived yesterday (impressed) but I have not registered it yet. I don't intend to do so for sometime, would this be a problem?

If I register and put up £10, but don't use it at all within a month, then all I have to do is put, say, a couple of pounds on and that "credit" will remain for another month and then do it all over again and so on? The credits carryon from month to month?

Martyn

Hi

You put money into your 3 account. It is your account, you have not done anything with it yet, it just stays there until you decide what you want to buy with it.

I have just looked at my 3 account and found that I have £6.08 left in it. That money is the remainder of £20 I put in last June!

I bought £0.50 pence worth of "internet" from the add on section at the weekend, to give me access to the net whilst on board my sailing boat at the weekend.

So you see, putting money into your account doesn't mean you have to spend it all in one go!

Hope this explains it a bit better. :lol:

Nipper

Edited by nipper

I hope this is true.

The small print talks about the 1st £10 being a registration fee for your credit card, but I was able to convert this to a credit (£10.22 worth, don't know where the extra 22p came from!) and then use it.

I couldn't see provision for buying broadband units in less than £10 lumps.

All worked Ok though, will be ideal for our holidays only useage.

David

Hi

You put money into your 3 account. It is your account, you have not done anything with it yet, it just stays there until you decide what you want to buy with it.

I have just looked at my 3 account and found that I have £6.08 left in it. That money is the remainder of £20 I put in last June!

I bought £0.50 pence worth of "internet" from the add on section at the weekend, to give me access to the net whilst on board my sailing boat at the weekend.

So you see, putting money into your account doesn't mean you have to spend it all in one go!

Nipper

So, what the 3 website says is that the £10 you spend on a top up lasts for one month only, but you have found that if you make add-ons with a credit card, they never expire. Have I got that right?

Richard

Hi

Nipper

Nipper,

I'm being dense, I guess.....

If I go to the Three "Buy Add Ons" Page, I get two different sets of options....

Internet

Get access to the internet

Internet Daily £0.50

Internet Weekly £2.50

Internet Monthly £5.00

and

Mobile Broadband

To surf the web using Mobile Broadband on your dongle you need to select one of the Add-ons below.

Broadband Lite 1GB £10.00

Broadband Plus 3GB £15.00

Broadband Max 7GB £25.00

So I'm unclear what I'm buying if I select an "Internet" add-on rather than a "Mobile Broadband" add on.

Obviously the "Internet" is cheaper, but it rather sounds like that's not going to give Mobile Broadband speeds connecting via my dongle.

I'm struggling a bit - can anybody explain please ?

Also does anybody else experience errors trying to access "My 3" with Firefox, or is it just me ?

Well, nearly.

Have a good weekend, weather looks promising.

Martyn

I hope to be on the Scrubbing plies this weekend to scrub and anti foul Black Strider, so I hope the weather holds.

Incidentally, I to have just taken delivery of my free 3 dongle, I shall register it and put a couple of quid into the account. I shall keep it as a spare, just in case my original dongle makes a jump for freedom whilst it is on deck in the sailing boat or hanging out the window on the Canal boat!

Nipper

My 3 is OK in Firefox for me

Richard

Curious - I get......

Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to my3.three.co.uk.

Can't connect securely because the site uses an older, insecure version of the SSL protocol.

(Error code: ssl_error_ssl2_disabled)

The page you are trying to view can not be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.

Please contact the web site owners to inform them of this problem.

Something to do with settings or options somewhere, perhaps.

I don't find Firefox the doddle that others claim to.

Nipper,

I'm being dense, I guess.....

If I go to the Three "Buy Add Ons" Page, I get two different sets of options....

Internet

Get access to the internet

Internet Daily £0.50

Internet Weekly £2.50

Internet Monthly £5.00

and

Mobile Broadband

To surf the web using Mobile Broadband on your dongle you need to select one of the Add-ons below.

Broadband Lite 1GB £10.00

Broadband Plus 3GB £15.00

Broadband Max 7GB £25.00

So I'm unclear what I'm buying if I select an "Internet" add-on rather than a "Mobile Broadband" add on.

Obviously the "Internet" is cheaper, but it rather sounds like that's not going to give Mobile Broadband speeds connecting via my dongle.

I'm struggling a bit - can anybody explain please ?

Also does anybody else experience errors trying to access "My 3" with Firefox, or is it just me ?

That's what I have always done Alan.

I have an old 10 year old IBM Notebook, I bought from a well known auction site for £50, to take on my travels, and found getting my internet connection easy were ever I am and buying the add ons from Three quite satisfactory. :lol:

All I can say is, try it. It really does work for me.

Nipper

Edited by nipper

So, what the 3 website says is that the £10 you spend on a top up lasts for one month only, but you have found that if you make add-ons with a credit card, they never expire. Have I got that right?

Richard

The top up wont expire, but the add-ons do expire as they are daily, weekly, monthly, etc

<snip>

I'm unclear what I'm buying if I select an "Internet" add-on rather than a "Mobile Broadband" add on.

"Internet" is meant for use on a mobile phone and is restricted to a vague 'fair usage' policy.

However I have successfully used it with a laptop & dongle.

The speed seems similar, and with light usage i've not had any problems