jeannette smith harrison

Featured Posts

can anyone out there enlighten me on the owners or any info on the chalk boats that loaded at the old harefield marina near uxbridge i remember my grandad telling me they could go as far down as brentford but only so far up due to their width i think they where in use up untill around 1934

can anyone out there enlighten me on the owners or any info on the chalk boats that loaded at the old harefield marina near uxbridge i remember my grandad telling me they could go as far down as brentford but only so far up due to their width i think they where in use up untill around 1934

I have all of the following as operators of wide beam boats involved in the carriage of chalk at the southern end of the Grand Junction Canal:

Hollick & Co., East Greenwich

Edward Reed, Southall

Francis Newell, Southall

Edward Wright Brooks, London

Gelatinous White Co., Harefield

The Gelatinous White Co. were certainly operating at least one boat during the 1920's (later taken over by Thomas Clayton (Paddington) Ltd.), the other four date back to the 1880's.

I have all of the following as operators of wide beam boats involved in the carriage of chalk at the southern end of the Grand Junction Canal:

Hollick & Co., East Greenwich

Edward Reed, Southall

Francis Newell, Southall

Edward Wright Brooks, London

Gelatinous White Co., Harefield

The Gelatinous White Co. were certainly operating at least one boat during the 1920's (later taken over by Thomas Clayton (Paddington) Ltd.), the other four date back to the 1880's.

In that the OP was talking about the 1930s I wonder if she means the wide cement boats such as operated by British Portland Cement from their works at Harefield? There is a well- known picture showing the barge-style boat "Uxbridge" in Cowley Lock. It is reproduced in Alan Faulkener's Grand Junction Canal but not dated.

Paul H

In that the OP was talking about the 1930s I wonder if she means the wide cement boats such as operated by British Portland Cement from their works at Harefield? There is a well- known picture showing the barge-style boat "Uxbridge" in Cowley Lock. It is reproduced in Alan Faulkener's Grand Junction Canal but not dated.

Paul H

I only listed wide boats specifically involved in the chalk trade as that is what was asked for. I do not have a date for when Thomas Clayton (Paddington) Ltd. took over the remaining Gelatinous White Co. wide boat (HENRIETTE) but it could well have been into the 1930's or even the 1940's, the boat appearing to be new in 1925 and the Grand Union Canal gauge table last being amended on 05 July 1946.

I think it is very possible that the 'chalk' boats refered to were either cement or asbestos carrying boats, both of which operated from Harefield. As far as British Portland Cement Manufacturers Ltd. boat UXBRIDGE is concerned it was health registered as Port of London 519 (15 October 1927) as a wide beam motor. I have no reference to either a former or subsequent owner and the health registration was cancelled on 01 April 1949. Interestingly UXBRIDGE was not Grand Junction Canal gauged, or at least not under this boat name or owner. Unfortunately I do not have a copy of Mr Faulkner's book 'Grand Junction Canal' so I am unable to confirm whether this is the same boat.

I only listed wide boats specifically involved in the chalk trade as that is what was asked for. I do not have a date for when Thomas Clayton (Paddington) Ltd. took over the remaining Gelatinous White Co. wide boat (HENRIETTE) but it could well have been into the 1930's or even the 1940's, the boat appearing to be new in 1925 and the Grand Union Canal gauge table last being amended on 05 July 1946.

I think it is very possible that the 'chalk' boats refered to were either cement or asbestos carrying boats, both of which operated from Harefield. As far as British Portland Cement Manufacturers Ltd. boat UXBRIDGE is concerned it was health registered as Port of London 519 (15 October 1927) as a wide beam motor. I have no reference to either a former or subsequent owner and the health registration was cancelled on 01 April 1949. Interestingly UXBRIDGE was not Grand Junction Canal gauged, or at least not under this boat name or owner. Unfortunately I do not have a copy of Mr Faulkner's book 'Grand Junction Canal' so I am unable to confirm whether this is the same boat.

The various references to "Uxbridge", both the place and the boat in Mr. Faulkners book tell little more about the boat other than show a nice photo of the wide beam motor boat 'Uxbridge' leaving Cowley Lock heading North. There seems to be more information in the picture credit than in any section of the text as a whole, though at this moment I have not gone through the whole book!

The photo shows a loaded, wheel steered motor with a crew of two (visible), "Registered Port of London" on the back of the engine room/cabin bulkhead, 'Uxbridge - London' on the rear quarters, two gents on the lockside wearing important hats, a smart car circa 1920's parked on the towpath, many double telegraph poles on the left hand side looking North, very few trees in view,those that are with no leaves - winter, and generally gives the impression of some directors observing an early passage of the boat. Undated.

Quote:-

. . Here the motor barge Uxbridge, owned by British Portland Cement Manufacturers Limited. leaves the lock heading Northwards, probably bound for the companies works at Harefield.

National Waterways Museum

Derek

The various references to "Uxbridge", both the place and the boat in Mr. Faulkners book tell little more about the boat other than show a nice photo of the wide beam motor boat 'Uxbridge' leaving Cowley Lock heading North. There seems to be more information in the picture credit than in any section of the text as a whole, though at this moment I have not gone through the whole book!

The photo shows a loaded, wheel steered motor with a crew of two (visible), "Registered Port of London" on the back of the engine room/cabin bulkhead, 'Uxbridge - London' on the rear quarters, two gents on the lockside wearing important hats, a smart car circa 1920's parked on the towpath, many double telegraph poles on the left hand side looking North, very few trees in view,those that are with no leaves - winter, and generally gives the impression of some directors observing an early passage of the boat. Undated.

Quote:-

. . Here the motor barge Uxbridge, owned by British Portland Cement Manufacturers Limited. leaves the lock heading Northwards, probably bound for the companies works at Harefield.

National Waterways Museum

Derek

many many thanks for your info iv hunted high & low over the last 5 years but to very little avail as i said before i only have memories of grandads tales when i was little(all info being destroyad) & to make my day the boat henriette was in 1934 in grandads charge my father being born on it in july 1934 dont know exact spot his birt cert says born on boat henriette canal side harefield i also remember being told that grandad had 2 of these boats the other one beond repair & being sunk in the old harefield marina when it was being filled in (now a large council housing estate) my grandad alen was the eldest brother of mark harrison married to dolly mentioned by several on the willow wren section once again many thank i should have joined this forum ages ago

• Greenie 2

many many thanks for your info iv hunted high & low over the last 5 years but to very little avail as i said before i only have memories of grandads tales when i was little(all info being destroyad) & to make my day the boat henriette was in 1934 in grandads charge my father being born on it in july 1934 dont know exact spot his birt cert says born on boat henriette canal side harefield i also remember being told that grandad had 2 of these boats the other one beond repair & being sunk in the old harefield marina when it was being filled in (now a large council housing estate) my grandad alen was the eldest brother of mark harrison married to dolly mentioned by several on the willow wren section once again many thank i should have joined this forum ages ago

Please see the link below for advice on making your posts easier to read....

clicky

:lol:

The Gelatinous White Co. Ltd. boats went something like this:-

1914 - SHAMROCK (wide boat - Uxbridge 493, 27/10/1914 - exSamuel Phipkin, Hillingdon)

1921 - PERCY (wide boat - Brentford 403, 15/11/1921 - exWiiliam Peek, Slough)

1924 - DEER (narrow boat hired from W. H. Walker Bros. Ltd. - Paddington 311, 07/10/1924 - sold by 'Walkers' 1925)

1925 - HENRIETTE (wide boat - Paddington 314, 26/05/1925 - later sold to Thomas Clayton Paddington) Ltd.)

It does look like the Gelatinous White Co. Ltd., Filocol Works, Harefield only operated one boat at a time but of course there may have been other boats owned or hired by this company that I do not have records for. I also have no record of any of these boats being sunk in either Boyer's or Hawtrey's pits at Harefield, although there are about 8 boats I have not yet been able to identify.

Pay no attention Jeanette, you are welcome here.

My post was intended to be read in a light hearted way, hence the "Smiley". No offence intended. If I have caused offence I am happy to apologise unreservedly.

P

The Gelatinous White Co. Ltd. boats went something like this:-

1914 - SHAMROCK (wide boat - Uxbridge 493, 27/10/1914 - exSamuel Phipkin, Hillingdon)

1921 - PERCY (wide boat - Brentford 403, 15/11/1921 - exWiiliam Peek, Slough)

1924 - DEER (narrow boat hired from W. H. Walker Bros. Ltd. - Paddington 311, 07/10/1924 - sold by 'Walkers' 1925)

1925 - HENRIETTE (wide boat - Paddington 314, 26/05/1925 - later sold to Thomas Clayton Paddington) Ltd.)

It does look like the Gelatinous White Co. Ltd., Filocol Works, Harefield only operated one boat at a time but of course there may have been other boats owned or hired by this company that I do not have records for. I also have no record of any of these boats being sunk in either Boyer's or Hawtrey's pits at Harefield, although there are about 8 boats I have not yet been able to identify.

sorry i cant recal the name of the other boat,i was around six years old at the time i was told. i do remember that the boat had been stripped of everything & was towed to its resting place by a horse called sampson,i can recall grandad had a great fondness of this horse he often spoke of it but i dont think it was his.he also said the boats belly had more holes than his t-strainer & was sinking before it reached its resting place.

• Greenie 2

sorry i cant recal the name of the other boat,i was around six years old at the time i was told. i do remember that the boat had been stripped of everything & was towed to its resting place by a horse called sampson,i can recall grandad had a great fondness of this horse he often spoke of it but i dont think it was his.he also said the boats belly had more holes than his t-strainer & was sinking before it reached its resting place.

There's a retired gent by the name of John (Tug) Wilson at Cassio, whose Father used to keep horses for towing barges up from Brentford to Dickinson's at Croxley. John also worked with his Father for some time before the carrying ended and he went into the roofing trade. I'll wager he might know one or two things, I think he must have been born in the late 1920's. Next time I'm that way I'll look him up and ask.

Derek

There's a retired gent by the name of John (Tug) Wilson at Cassio, whose Father used to keep horses for towing barges up from Brentford to Dickinson's at Croxley. John also worked with his Father for some time before the carrying ended and he went into the roofing trade. I'll wager he might know one or two things, I think he must have been born in the late 1920's. Next time I'm that way I'll look him up and ask.

Derek

thanks derek grandad was born brentford end (1901),when he retired my grandparents settled near to cowley lock.most of his stories told to myself where whilst fishing along that stretch up to uxbridge.

jeannette