Crick show - moorings

maggie-y

Featured Posts

I don't think this has been posted yet - a warning for those coming to Crick by boat.

The towpath moorings between the marina entrance and bridge 13 have been closed off - it is an ecologically sensative area. Public moorings for the show will be north of Bridge 13.

Maggie

I don't think this has been posted yet - a warning for those coming to Crick by boat.

The towpath moorings between the marina entrance and bridge 13 have been closed off - it is an ecologically sensative area. Public moorings for the show will be north of Bridge 13.

Maggie

Surely the whole of the canal system of great britian is an ecologically sensitive area, what have they got up there thats so special? :lol:

Maggie

Impossible to make up ....Bwb have just discovered water voles live in this bank and must protect them. Funny thing is they have been in this vicinity for years...and on more than just this 200 yd section ! Now what I want to know is what about the bats in Crick tunnel ? As Dominic was saying.....something has to stop the show this year....hopefully all their towpath grass cutting and boat evictions will not be in vain.

Cheers

Chas

We were disapointed to see that due to the two new marina entrances that about six boat length moorings have been lost on that nice deep easy to stop bit with the mooring rings. Do they really need three marina entrances at Crick? Or why not have them angled to make it easier all round?

Impossible to make up ....Bwb have just discovered water voles live in this bank and must protect them.

Oooh. I must let the recently opened "Endangered Species" restaurant in Leamington Spa know. Water vole might be an interesting starter, with braised Condor to follow.

Crick boat show? Dont see the attraction? Whats the point? Bit like the motor show, yawn,yawn.

Jan and I decided to do Crick for the first time this year as we are weighing up the options around 'ditching all' and buying a 'live aboard' or somewhere in France, can't really see where apart form the aquatic equivalent to the motor show where we can weigh up and asses possible layouts and options for our home for the next (hopefully) 25 years.

Really enjoyed the French property fairs we've attened (yup a bit like the motor show),

However I would be genuinely intersted in alternatives where we might achieve the same.

Maggie

That's a bit of a b****r if true! Expect to find us moored mid channel because just south of bridge 13 was always the only spot where we could get close enough to the bank.

The following information is currently displayed by BW on the Crick Boat Show website:

Free moorings can be found south of Bridge 11 and north of Crick Marina entrance and are available on a first come, first served basis, subject to the normal 14 day restrictions.

Please be aware that due to the way in which the Leicester Summit was built, the canal is quite shallow in some areas and it may not always be possible to moor a deep drafted boat close to the canal bank.

That's a bit of a b****r if true! Expect to find us moored mid channel because just south of bridge 13 was always the only spot where we could get close enough to the bank.

It was you I was thinking of - I know you have your "spot"

There have been bouys and notices up for a couple of days - but it was only today that I went down for a look.

Very true....confirmed last week by Andy watford lock keeper.... and do not doubt the bit about the water voles!!! :lol:

You would not expect the web info to be up to date ...surely!

Buoys were only installed recently - probably 'cos no-one ever moors on that bit except during the show. I wondered what they were there for , but then I got the latest 'harbourmaster's' newsletter (my boat's in the marina) and it said it due to voles. Hopefully you'll find somewhere you can 'dredge' your way in. I should be over for a couple of days during the show, so i'll have to come and find you.

re: query on entrances - there has to be at least two as the 'new' bit doesn't have any direct water connection to the 'old'. I think the 'new' bit was given two as it allows more moorings as they then don't have to leave a clear 'channel'. The fun bit is that if you look carefully, there is a 'no mooring' sign either side of the entrances, but in between them there is another that says mooring is allowed (I think it's probably an old one they forgot to remove!), so there are often boats moored opposite the entrances anyway!

Peter

I got the news letter and the gossip about the voles as well - but after I had posted on here.

Alnwick was looking ok today when I went for a wander.

Hope to meet some of you at the show.

Maggie

Best you practise walking the plank me hearties :lol:

Oooh. I must let the recently opened "Endangered Species" restaurant in Leamington Spa know. Water vole might be an interesting starter, with braised Condor to follow.

They do a lovely Newt toastie. The crunchy one is a lot better that the pureed one :lol:

Alnwick was looking ok today when I went for a wander.

When I arrived at Crick on Tuesday, a very helpful lady from BW was putting notices up, announcing the suspension of the 14 day moorings - she also explained the difficulties concerning the ecologically sensitive section of the bank. She confirmed that official moorings are still available so, having promised to apply for one, I asked politely if I would be alright to moor against the piling where I found, unusually, a decent depth of water - almost enough to get alongside - or is it just because Alnwick's main diesel tank is nearly empty? Anyway, it seems that it will be OK where it is for the time being and I am hopeful that Alnwick will be allocated an official mooring for the show. Apparantly, the take-up for this years show is well down on previous years - fewer applications for moorings, hardly any bookings for the camp site and fewer exhibitors but it still promises to be a good show and the footbridge over the canal will be back this year.

When I arrived at Crick on Tuesday, a very helpful lady from BW was putting notices up, announcing the suspension of the 14 day moorings - she also explained the difficulties concerning the ecologically sensitive section of the bank. She confirmed that official moorings are still available so, having promised to apply for one, I asked politely if I would be alright to moor against the piling where I found, unusually, a decent depth of water - almost enough to get alongside - or is it just because Alnwick's main diesel tank is nearly empty? Anyway, it seems that it will be OK where it is for the time being and I am hopeful that Alnwick will be allocated an official mooring for the show. Apparantly, the take-up for this years show is well down on previous years - fewer applications for moorings, hardly any bookings for the camp site and fewer exhibitors but it still promises to be a good show and the footbridge over the canal will be back this year.

Don't you go doing a 'Bones' on us :lol:

You know you would never be able to show your face again on the S. Oxford :lol: (at least not without a huge amount of mickey taking)

I have been to the Crick Show once, and that was enough for me. If I want to pay to walk round a Trade Show, I would prefer to do it in a proper building, rather than walking around leaky tents in six inches of mud .

Most of the stalls were parading stuff I either have or will never want, and contrary to the rumour, there were very few bargains to be had. I met a few people who I rarely see and had a brief re-union, but was it worth all that money? No.

I much prefer the Braunston Historic Boat Show, which I visit every year. It is much more of an enthusiasts show, with some interesting exhibits, and it also gives me the opportunity to re-aquaint myself with people I knew on the working boats forty years ago.