3G Broadband

Robbo

Featured Posts

Hello,

Hopefully this well help someone decide if there looking at 3G broadband....

I've been using three mobile broadband for over a year, once my contract was up I decided to go PAYG, and try o2's PAYG as well, I've been using o2 for the last 4 months.

Three seems faster when you have a good signal, but if signal poor you get disconnected alot and don't even think about connecting when only GPRS is available!

With o2 if signal poor you don't get disconnected even when flips between 2G and 3G...

Both are the same price at £15 per month for 3Gb, but three has options for 1Gb and 7Gb per month, where o2's is 1Gb for a week, or 500Mb for a day.

I'm sticking with o2 but if you don't need more than 1Gb a month then I would look at Vodafone's as there's no time limit on the usage...

I've gone down the Vodafone route and am very pleased with it, except . . . .

We moor against a railway embankment and the transmitter for all networks must be on the other side. Orange (phone), O2 datacard, T-mobile (phone) and Vodafone's dongle all struggle to get a GPRS signal even when we use an external antenna on the boat's roof.

If you want an internet service where you regularly moor, then try to test the different company's phones where you'll use the computer as the cheapest deal is no good if you can't get a decent signal.

Hello,

Hopefully this well help someone decide if there looking at 3G broadband....

I've been using three mobile broadband for over a year, once my contract was up I decided to go PAYG, and try o2's PAYG as well, I've been using o2 for the last 4 months.

Three seems faster when you have a good signal, but if signal poor you get disconnected alot and don't even think about connecting when only GPRS is available!

With o2 if signal poor you don't get disconnected even when flips between 2G and 3G...

Both are the same price at £15 per month for 3Gb, but three has options for 1Gb and 7Gb per month, where o2's is 1Gb for a week, or 500Mb for a day.

I'm sticking with o2 but if you don't need more than 1Gb a month then I would look at Vodafone's as there's no time limit on the usage...

Thanks for that, I am with three at the moment and its nice to see some comparisons. Normally people say I have got X or Y and thats the best without trying anything else.

I use less than 1GB a month so I will have a look at Vodaphone

Hi I have been using 3 for over a year now at £10 a month and not had any problems with it. At the moment 3 are doing a promotion for £15 a month you get a free laptop/notebook and it comes with dongle etc Good value for the money

AlistairH

Edited by AlistairH

Does anyone use their broadband connection for Xbox Live at all?

One of OH's living aboard stipulations is that he will still be able to play his beloved computer games on Xbox Live!

Cheers

Michele

:lol:

I would have thought it would be possible using a router with 3G; but I'd be worried about latency rates and keeping an eye on your usage.