Trip on the Lee Navigation

forsberg

Featured Posts

Hi!

Well it's now less than a fortnight to go, GRP boaters beware foreign boatrenters!

Got any suggestions in the touristy area?

My wife loves flowers, second hand/ charity shops and I don't mind a Ale and a 3 course dinner.

I know my wife would love a canalware bucket with flowers to put on the rental. (not included afaik), any shops between Brouxbourne and Hertford?

Or in Bishop's Stortford where we stay overnight the day before our journey.

What time does the sun set now?

We would like to get to Ware for the market on tuesday, but not sure if we inexpirienced will make it on monday, any nice moorings before Ware?

Cheers :lol:

Not many shops anywhere once you get clear of London except Waltham Abbey and Stanstead Abbots, then of course Ware and Hertford. Nothing much on the Stort either except Bishops Stortford. I'm not sure how far Harlow centre is from the river. Someone will no doubt tell us.

For an interesting afternoon out try the Royal Gunpowder Mills at Waltham - only a short walk from the town lock. A fair bit to see and the film is good and the guided tour if its on. There are some interesting craft workshops and a gallery next to Parndon lock.

Plenty of moorings on the Lee, both near towns and in the sticks. The Stort has very few.

Not many shops anywhere once you get clear of London except Waltham Abbey and Stanstead Abbots, then of course Ware and Hertford. Nothing much on the Stort either except Bishops Stortford. I'm not sure how far Harlow centre is from the river. Someone will no doubt tell us.

For an interesting afternoon out try the Royal Gunpowder Mills at Waltham - only a short walk from the town lock. A fair bit to see and the film is good and the guided tour if its on. There are some interesting craft workshops and a gallery next to Parndon lock.

Plenty of moorings on the Lee, both near towns and in the sticks. The Stort has very few.

Gunpowder mills is fascinating - it has its own canal system complete with locks and aqueducts! - unfortunately it has very restricted opening (weekends only during the summer and wednesdays during school holidays), details at :

http://www.royalgunpowdermills.com/openingseason.htm

Tim

Harlow Town Centre is about 20 minutes from Burnt Mill. Not much to see there though.

Interesting shopping in Hertford and Bishops Stortford.

Agree about the Gunpowder Mill - Waltham Abbey is nice both inside and the gardens outside.

Sawbridgeworth is also nice. Great Amwell is a lovely overnight mooring, with a walk up the hill to the pub.

I assume you're hiring from Lee Valley Boats at Broxbourne. Should be able to see everything in a week.

I've got a Google Earth Map Overlay of the Stort and Lee with the moorings and sights, if you're interested. PM me.

There's a new cafe at the Outdoor Centre just below Burnt Mill Lock. You can moor on the towpath opposite and walk around, across the lock bridge, for coffee and cakes.

Edited by NB Willawaw

Not far enough

Tim

Tim you're too cruel :lol::lol: but sometimes the truth is needed!!

Pickett's Lock centre has cinema/food plus other things I can't think of at the moment but is only a short walk from the cut.

Edmonton market is good for cheap food (192 bus from Ponders End goes there) just cross the railway line at the end of wharf road and bus stop is right in front of you.

Thanks all :lol:

Yes we are renting from Lee Valley Boats for a mid week break, but we will probably return the boat on thursday and head to London.

The plan so far is Brouxbourne to Hertford and back and if time admitt Whaltham Abbey and back to. So we will probably not go up the Stort this time.

Being a complete mapaholic i'll take you up on that offer Mark, as soon as I find the PM button :lol:

Sent by e-mail but IMHO if you just cruise the Lee, you are missing the best bit - the Stort.

Thanks all :lol:

Yes we are renting from Lee Valley Boats for a mid week break, but we will probably return the boat on thursday and head to London.

The plan so far is Brouxbourne to Hertford and back and if time admitt Whaltham Abbey and back to. So we will probably not go up the Stort this time.

Being a complete mapaholic i'll take you up on that offer Mark, as soon as I find the PM button :lol:

That's as maybe but we spent 10 days cruising the Lee veeeery slowly this march, just to see if there was anything we were missing.....I'm a diehard junk rummager, so I know where all the good charity shops are...

Ok, here's my mini guide. Waltham Abbey, if you do get there, small town with a market on Tuesdays and Saturdays, the only charity shop there has closed, but I've been told the chippy is good (The Starfish) although I've never tried it. If you are planning a barbecue don't miss the butchers in the High street - he sells meat ready for the barbie in home made marinades and the most wondeful sausages (he has won awards) Waltham Cross, in the opposite direction is ugly but has loads of charity shops and some of them are pretty good.

Nazeing. Just beyond Carthagena lock, (pretty lock with flowers in hanging baskets), is a small lane, going at right angles to the left away from the lock. At the end of here is Nazeing Glassworks. They have a factory shop, great for cheap glassware, some of it really fancy, some of it more functional. They do factory tours too Nazeing Glassworks

Ware. I really like Ware. There is an excellent Belgian patisserie. Lots of good charity shops. Tesco. A museum and Scotts Grotto (clicky)

We usually moor outside of Ware, around here google maps clicky, there are good walks and birdwatching to be had - we walked up the Ash Valley in March, really gorgeous walk,, very picturesque. Most of the walks are signposted. You can get leaflets with maps from tourist information in Hertford.

Take your binoculars also because there is lots of birdwatching to be had from hides all around the lakes at Amwell nature reserve.

Hertford is lovely - it has antique shops, a good market, the all important charity shops and good pubs including the Barge Inn next to the river.

If you want Roses and Castles, there is a tiny bit of canalia in the chandlers at Stanstead Abbots marina, it's at the very back of the marina, tucked away behind some sheds (you'll probably have to ask!)

Edited by Lady Muck

Thanks again!

Naturally Google Earth refuses to install on my pc and then the laptop broke. But i got it running on a machine at work. Some good information there Mark :lol:, and some of my questions straightend out as your gps-positions makes a lot more sense than some other info I've gotten of the web.

Lady Muck, sigh now we have to fit in a barbecue too, where are we most likley to find a disposable grill?

Combined with the info on Marks maps I'm pretty sure we will use your mooring spot too if it's convinient at dusk. When you say marina is that the large shed or the area in general?

And where did I se the kids playing with the binoculars last.

5 days to go, but who's counting :lol:

Thanks again!

Naturally Google Earth refuses to install on my pc and then the laptop broke. But i got it running on a machine at work. Some good information there Mark :lol:, and some of my questions straightend out as your gps-positions makes a lot more sense than some other info I've gotten of the web.

Lady Muck, sigh now we have to fit in a barbecue too, where are we most likley to find a disposable grill?

Combined with the info on Marks maps I'm pretty sure we will use your mooring spot too if it's convinient at dusk. When you say marina is that the large shed or the area in general?

You can get a disposable grill in Ware, from Tesco, also there is a co-op in Stanstead Abbots, I've seen them in there before.

Have a great time - it's my home moorings river and I never tire of it. :lol:

Thanks again!

If I recall there is a by-law banning BBQ's in the Lee Valley Park except at designated BBQ sites, can't find the details though.

Lots of information at:

http://www.leevalleypark.org.uk/

Tim

In the Tottenham part of Lee Valley Parks they barbecue cars and motorbikes, you know!

But seriously - as long as they hold the barbie on the towpath side outside of Ware I can't see any problem - take some housebricks to rest it on, don't scorch the grass.

In the Tottenham part of Lee Valley Parks they barbecue cars and motorbikes, you know!

But seriously - as long as they hold the barbie on the towpath side outside of Ware I can't see any problem - take some housebricks to rest it on, don't scorch the grass.

We have just bought an instant BBQ stand. Its great stops the grass getting scorched and fits nicely in the anchor locker when not in use.