Middle Level navigable Drains

Moondaisy

Featured Posts

Anyone got any special advice ( I have the guide bookbook) on navigating the drains to Ramsay ?

I hear the locks are hard going, but is there anything I should know about floods restrictions, licenses etc?

I would appreciate hearing about anything difficult anyone has had to contend with.

Cheers

Anyone got any special advice ( I have the guide bookbook) on navigating the drains to Ramsay ?

I hear the locks are hard going, but is there anything I should know about floods restrictions, licenses etc?

I would appreciate hearing about anything difficult anyone has had to contend with.

Cheers

chose the time of year carefully because the weed makes navigation difficult.

Sue

I assume that you are starting on the canals - if you're coming from the Great Ouse then see the topics on here about Salter's Lode lock.

There's no license needed on the Middle Level, but you will need an EA license for the Nene. You can buy one "on the day" from Gayton Marina just before you leave the canals. The lock-keeper at Stanground, where you move from the EA river to the Middle Level will need to see BSS and insurance documents.

The locks on the Middle level need a special windlass and equivalent of a BW key. The Stanground locky will sell these to you. You need to book through Stanground at least 24h in advance. There is only one lock between Stanground and Ramsey.

Floods are almost never a problem on the ML, but can be on the Nene. Are you heading for the marina here?

MP.

Measure your boat's air-draught carefully, and look up the (nominal) heights of the bridges. Your navigation limits may be determined more by your height than by anything else. But don't assume that the clearance under every bridge will match the nominal figure; water levels can go up as well as down.

chose the time of year carefully because the weed makes navigation difficult.

Sue

Thank you !

I assume that you are starting on the canals - if you're coming from the Great Ouse then see the topics on here about Salter's Lode lock.

There's no license needed on the Middle Level, but you will need an EA license for the Nene. You can buy one "on the day" from Gayton Marina just before you leave the canals. The lock-keeper at Stanground, where you move from the EA river to the Middle Level will need to see BSS and insurance documents.

The locks on the Middle level need a special windlass and equivalent of a BW key. The Stanground locky will sell these to you. You need to book through Stanground at least 24h in advance. There is only one lock between Stanground and Ramsey.

Floods are almost never a problem on the ML, but can be on the Nene. Are you heading for the marina here?

MP.

Thanks ! Very useful

MP.

Heading for the marina later in the year - via London and the River Lee if all goes to plan ( it won't).

Thanks

Not sure if you currently on the Middle Levels, but if so there's some good news and some bad news.

The good news is that the boater who has moored at the landing stage by the Globe Inn at Upwell for the last couple of years has now moved across to the other side, so visiting boats can moor at the pub. His boat is 57 feet long, so obviously craft up to that length (and possibly a little longer) can fit in.

The bad news is that most of the pubs in the area are closed this weekend until Monday evening, on police advice. Those wanting a bevvy should moor at Salter's Lode and walk or take a taxi into Downham Market (I assume their pubs are open though I have not checked).

Edited by Athy

Not sure if you currently on the Middle Levels, but if so there's some good news and some bad news.

The good news is that the boater who has moored at the landing stage by the Globe Inn at Upwell for the last couple of years has now moved across to the other side, so visiting boats can moor at the pub. His boat is 57 feet long, so obviously craft up to that length (and possibly a little longer) can fit in.

The bad news is that most of the pubs in the area are closed this weekend until Monday evening, on police advice. Those wanting a bevvy should moor at Salter's Lode and walk or take a taxi into Downham Market (I assume their pubs are open though I have not checked).

Pubs closed ? Good grief !

Fortunately I shall not be there for about a month.....but thanks anyway !

It's new territory for me, so Ilook forward to it.

"Police advice" ? I thought this would be a peaceful area.....is there more than meets the eye ?

Regards

You'll be alright if you are going to Bill Fen, John's (and more importantly Lyn's) writ runs for 30 miles all around although I must say that the "Police advice" bit does surprise me a lot. Don't get too excited concerning pubs most if not all are utter *rap, although the Railway has its moments, mainly when they had Black Dog on

I seem to recall hearing that because the Fens waterways are mainly concerned with land drainage rather than actual navigation, they often have lots of water when the canals are suffering and vice versa.

It's to do with a local event which, the police think, may engender public disorder. It's peaceful enough most of the year! I hope you'll exclude The Globe from your assessment, Mr. Bear, even though they stock Black Dog only in bottles.

It's to do with a local event which, the police think, may engender public disorder. It's peaceful enough most of the year! I hope you'll exclude The Globe from your assessment, Mr. Bear, even though they stock Black Dog only in bottles.

Blimey! The Bill Fen/IWA Mayday event seems to be fairly civilised so far :lol:

MP.

although you appear to be on your way there now so it won't affect you.

it might be wise to point out the drains are closed in winter time.

have a good trip and visit the sleaford as well whilst your down there.

They're closed only if lock works close them. We take our boat out every Christmas Day.

sorry it might help if i read the post properly durrr!

i was thinking about Witham drains not middle level

it is a while since i was last down either. on the witham drains the level was only 1 1/2 foot deep due to winter drain down

and also the moorings at Boston were also cleared for the winter!

Edited by hamsterfan

I would dearly love to get to the Globe before I leave the Middle Level for the grand tour ooop north. I wish I was at Bill Fen now but I am awaiting the Great Leader's return from Tarporley(just received a text - she will be home at 2130) and then we are off tomorrow and probably the next day to the Canal Cavalcade at Little Venice. I might meet up with the Chiswick mob who might be challenging Baldock in the boat handling contest.

We stopped off at the Globe last year when out on the Fens. They'd ran out of food when we got there!!!

As they do not regularly serve meals except for Sunday lunch (very good value at £4.95 for 2 courses), and the occasional special evening (there was a liver & bacon night recently) that's not surprising. If they have some spare food in the kitchen they'll cook for you if they aren't too busy but they don't advertise evening meals. The Upwell pub where you can always get an evening meal id The Five Bells by the church, though I hear varying reports as to the quality of the food and beer.

A note to Middle Levels returnees: if you went to the pub at Nordelph, The Chequers, during previous trips, you won't be able to any more as it has closed for good.

OK. Welcome in advance. (We moor there too.)

MP.

Many Thanks. I hope our paths cross sometime.

It seems a good place and I am looking forward to a change of scene from the north west where I have moored for the last eight years.

So do I, looks like the potential for a banter is improving all the time! BTW is that a profile of your boat? if it has a proper engine you can be in our gang.

No - mine's just a digger engine. Sorry.

Many Thanks. I hope our paths cross sometime.

It seems a good place and I am looking forward to a change of scene from the north west where I have moored for the last eight years.

Oh come on, you can't get away with teasing us like that! Digger engine? A Ruston & Hornsby perhaps? Do tell.

No - mine's just a digger engine. Sorry.

As they do not regularly serve meals except for Sunday lunch (very good value at £4.95 for 2 courses), and the occasional special evening (there was a liver & bacon night recently) that's not surprising. If they have some spare food in the kitchen they'll cook for you if they aren't too busy but they don't advertise evening meals. The Upwell pub where you can always get an evening meal id The Five Bells by the church, though I hear varying reports as to the quality of the food and beer.

A note to Middle Levels returnees: if you went to the pub at Nordelph, The Chequers, during previous trips, you won't be able to any more as it has closed for good.

Correction to my last post it was the Five Bells not the Globe. We ended up on the managers advice walking a short way up the road to a takeaway - must say the dogs liked the not so short walk!!!!.