Grit blasting bottom of boat

Featured Posts

Has anyone had this done recently and if so haw much was charged per ft - I seem to be getting some very different quotes.

I don't even know anywhere near me that does grit blasting. Winkwell Dock near Hemel on the GU does it but they won't do it without doing the whole job including 2 coats of 2 part epoxy - and that costs a small fortune.

Presumably because very few people bother. (Open can of worms warning!!!)

But if you're changing from bitumen to 2-part epoxy the steel really needs to be grit blasted. Firstly to remove all the old blacking and also to give the new epoxy a good key.

Edited by blackrose

Hi all

Gritblasting the base plate facilities are available at Norton Canes Boatbuilders at the far end of the Cannock Extension Canal off the Wyrley and Essington, on the most northerly point of the BCN. Speak to Graham Edgson (01543 374888) who runs the yard and have a look at the website

www.nortoncanesboatbuilders.co.uk

If I can be of other help please pm me

Cheers

Dave

I recently got a couple of quotes for our wide beam one £600 one just under £700 both cash no v.a.t

Me and my brother looked at doing it ourselves and hiring the equipment, it came out over 450 with the grit, then you have to do all the work yourself, it's one nightmarish job too so soon went off that idea LOL

This was in the Wiltshire area Devises.

We had our boat hydroblasted a couple of years ago. Its brilliant. No grit, just let it dry and paint it with a surface tolerant two pack epoxy. On the basis of the price we paid I am guessing that a 60' boat NB would cost about £ 650.00 to blast the bottom and take about day - approx 10 hours. They come to you so I guess there may be a charge for transport depending on where you are. As there is very little mess then it is conceivable that yards that don't allow grit blasting possibly would allow hydroblasting (Water only at very high pressures approx 30000 psi).

It really is worth trying! PM me if you want a number. I still have it somewhere.

H50

We used Oxford Cruisers last year. cant give you an exact price as we had a lot of other work done at the time (prop shaft, stern gland and a new prop. But we ar 64 feet and had sides and baseplate done and 2 part epoxy plus some other painting. IIR it was about 2.5K total. Oxford Cruisers, Oxford Rd, Eynsham, Witney, OX29 4DA, 01865 881698.