First boat purchased!!!!

enviropc

Featured Posts

Hi Guys, after looking at many many boats and upping our budget to a more realistic level we have finaly found our first boat.

She 45ft and is currently moored at Floods Ferry Marina Park in March Cambridge.

The old owner is going to give me some maps so i can find my way home but im also going to print off the routes i found on the sites you nice people directed me to in my last post.

Im told by the owner who happens to be the local narrowboat engineer that no waterways licence is needed in that area but when i get to Peterbourgh there is some sort of checkpoint to enter the BW canal system.

Im told that from there i can purchase a few days licence to travel on the system while i sort my annual one out.

Does anyone know if i can purchase my full years licence from this lock/checkpoint?

As some of you will know im a complete newby on boats.

I was worried about getting a boat back from Hemel last week but getting one back from Cambridge and going on 'real' rivers and stuff with side winds and currents is scaring the life out of me!

Im picking the boat up Friday morning and having a bit off a lesson, i.e how to emply toilet and switch on/off the engine and then thats it im on my own so to speak.

I took the advise on making offers from you guys and offered £16500 on the boat (advertised for £18500) and got it for £16750 i felt this was a fair offer and also a fair price to pay.

Im very happy with my purchase because the little jobs that need doing are well within my skills and also it has a proper electric flush porcelain toilet so my wife is made up!!

Hi Guys, after looking at many many boats and upping our budget to a more realistic level we have finaly found our first boat.

She 45ft and is currently moored at Floods Ferry Marina Park in March Cambridge.

The old owner is going to give me some maps so i can find my way home but im also going to print off the routes i found on the sites you nice people directed me to in my last post.

Im told by the owner who happens to be the local narrowboat engineer that no waterways licence is needed in that area but when i get to Peterbourgh there is some sort of checkpoint to enter the BW canal system.

Im told that from there i can purchase a few days licence to travel on the system while i sort my annual one out.

Does anyone know if i can purchase my full years licence from this lock/checkpoint?

As some of you will know im a complete newby on boats.

I was worried about getting a boat back from Hemel last week but getting one back from Cambridge and going on 'real' rivers and stuff with side winds and currents is scaring the life out of me!

Im picking the boat up Friday morning and having a bit off a lesson, i.e how to emply toilet and switch on/off the engine and then thats it im on my own so to speak.

I took the advise on making offers from you guys and offered £16500 on the boat (advertised for £18500) and got it for £16750 i felt this was a fair offer and also a fair price to pay.

Im very happy with my purchase because the little jobs that need doing are well within my skills and also it has a proper electric flush porcelain toilet so my wife is made up!!

When you get to Peterborough you are not on BW waters but on the River Nene which is controlled by the Environment Agency which you require a seperate license although in my experience I have never seen anyone checking licenses on the Nene!. You do not get to BW controlled water until you get to the Northampton arm at - Northampton.

I do not believe that you cannot buy EA/BW licences at Peterborough or even at Northampton, I would seriously suggest that you get your BW license in advance. In the past your BW license gave you a couple of weeks reciprecal cruising on the Nene but I don't know if this is still the case. You can but a Gold license which covers both EA and BW waters but I doubt if this would be worth it unless you intend to spend longish periods on EA waters.

The river Nene can flood but I have always found it a doddle.

Don't forget that you will require an EA 'Abloy' key to operate the locks on the River Nene, you are also required to book in advance passage through Stanground Lock which gets you off the Middle Levels onto the River Nene, details here.

Enjoy your trip

Tim

Well done on finding your boat. We moored overnight last Saturday at Floods Ferry ( our home base is at Upwell, 12 miles away by water) and I had a good look at the boats moored in the little marina, also the ones moored on the bank. Which one is yours?

Why the rush to escape through Peterborough? Treat yourselves to a season's licence-free cruising and explore March (which is a surprisingly attractive town from the water), Upwell, Outwell, Ramsey, Whittlesey, the Stretham Engine and more - in a relatively traffic-free area. Floods Ferry is a good base from which to strike out towards these places - it's well run by pleasant people, too.

Unless you have to move it I would do as Athy suggests. The Middle Levels are very remote, virtually boat free, mostly wide and with soft banks!! and it would be a great opportunity to get a feel for the boat and boating as well as finding and rectifying any problems. You can also go down to Cambridge/Bedford on the Ouse etc. We used to moor at Floods Ferry, under the previous regime, and it was a great place to start out. There are a number of members of this forum with a wide range of knowledge on the Levels who would be more than happy to offer advice/assistance. Who did the survey as I possibly need to find a good local one. If you post some details esp. any pictures that will really get us going :lol: We and the Moomins will be about on the Levels on Friday (we moor at Bill Fen) as we will be hot foot to Salters Lode on our way to Cambridge etc. although I doubt you will see us as we are going for a 'blast' up the 40'/16' - I think the Moomins are going the March route so keep an eye out for them on Mellaluca, a very nice trad with an SR2.

The fun starts now.............................................................................

......................... just take it steady and remember all problems can be overcome.

Edited by PaddingtonBear

I do not believe that you cannot buy EA/BW licences at Peterborough or even at Northampton.

I believe that, in theory, you can get them at the EA offices in Peterborough, but it's a pain to find the right person and a time when they are open. The best place to buy a license "on the day" at that end of the Nene is from Dog-in-a-Doublet lock keeper. By water, thats a long way out of your way, but by car, on the way to the boat, it's convenient. At the other end, the marina at Gayton does them. A week short-term license is 10% of an annual one, between £60 and £70.

I would seriously suggest that you get your BW license in advance. In the past your BW license gave you a couple of weeks reciprecal cruising on the Nene but I don't know if this is still the case.

It doesn't do that any more, as far as I know.

MP.

Unless you have to move it I would do as Athy suggests. The Middle Levels are very remote, virtually boat free, mostly wide and with soft banks!!

and it would be a great opportunity to get a feel for the boat and boating

Good for learning boat handling in the wind too!

I think the Moomins are going the March route so keep an eye out for them on Mellaluca,

We are....

a very nice trad with an SR2.

Cough, cough. FR2, please!

MP

If you don't explore the Levels/ Great Ouse waterway system before heading off to BW waters, you probably never will - it's not an area which can be quickly and casually visited from the canal system. The chap to ask about mooring at Floods Ferry is a very helpful young Dutchman called Remi.

Edited by Athy

Friday will be only my second day sailing a boat aqnd the last time was 5 years ago so my plan is to get it home as quickly as possible without problems.

I was intending on starting Friday morning and getting as far as possible before Monday night before being picked up and being taken home and then returning the next saturday to continue the journey.

So as i see it im going to need a key for the locks that i dont have and also i need to book in advance to use 1 of the locks.

How can i sort this fast as this very long weekend doesnt come along very oftern an i was realy hoping to get a good chunk of the way towards home.

Ours is the blue 45ft 1985 live a board that was owned by Cliff the mariena engineer, i think the boats name is Boughton but its not written on it at all. A remerable feature would have been the very tall pole with a TV arial on.

"24 hours notice is now required at Stanground Lock for passage both ways. If you have not made an appointment with the lock-keeper you may have to wait."

This does not sound like its going to cause much of a problem as i dont mind waiting half a day if need be but the key issue is a concern.

Edited by enviropc

Friday will be only my second day sailing a boat aqnd the last time was 5 years ago so my plan is to get it home as quickly as possible without problems.

I was intending on starting Friday morning and getting as far as possible before Monday night before being picked up and being taken home and then returning the next saturday to continue the journey.

So as i see it im going to need a key for the locks that i dont have and also i need to book in advance to use 1 of the locks.

How can i sort this fast as this very long weekend doesnt come along very oftern an i was realy hoping to get a good chunk of the way towards home.

Ours is the blue 45ft 1985 live a board that was owned by Cliff the mariena engineer, i think the boats name is Boughton but its not written on it at all. A remerable feature would have been the very tall pole with a TV arial on.

"24 hours notice is now required at Stanground Lock for passage both ways. If you have not made an appointment with the lock-keeper you may have to wait."

This does not sound like its going to cause much of a problem as i dont mind waiting half a day if need be but the key issue is a concern.

UPDATE: Ive just phoned the EA in Peterbourgh who say licence is no problem if i can get form to them by tommorows but problem is they cant send a lock key back in time. Any sugestions there i could aquire a lock key sharpish?

UPDATE: Ive just phoned the EA in Peterbourgh who say licence is no problem if i can get form to them by tommorows but problem is they cant send a lock key back in time. Any sugestions there i could aquire a lock key sharpish?

I think you may need two types of lock key - an EA one for the Nene and also a Middle Level key if the boat doesn't have one. Have you asked the current owner of the boat and/or the marina that you are getting it from?

We bought a middle-level key from the lock keeper at Stanground. Not much help by boat because you'll need it to get through the locks on the way to Stanground, but if you can call in by car on the way to the boat you could possibly get one from there.

Sorry I can't help about the EA key for the Nene, I got mine from Gayton marina which is at the other end of the Nene, but maybe you could phone them and ask if they could send you one? Or how about phoning the lock keeper at Dog-in-a-Doublet

You need to plan exactly where you are going to leave the boat. You can't be sure of getting off the Nene in the time you have available, and moorings on the Nene can be few and far apart. You need to be sure that wherever you choose is safe should the river levels change - the forecast is for wet weather and the Nene can go up very fast. I'm not familiar with mooring facilities top end of the Nene, maybe someone else can help? The possibility which comes to mind is Billing Aquadrome.

I don't think you will need an Middle level key to get from Floods Ferry to Stanground, but you will need an EA key on the Nene. Again, the lock-keeper at Dog-in-a-Doublet should be able to help - call there on the way to FF.

Tina, the lock-keeper as Stanground, is very nice. Call her in advance and let her know what time you may be wanting to come through, she'll sort something out. My guess is that she'll be around over the long weekend anyway.

MP.

Edit to say. you MAY need a ML key to get through Ashline lock in Whittlesey, I can't remember for sure.

Edit again. Talk to your vendor, I'd half expect the boat to come with these keys included.

Edited by MoominPapa

Won't you also need a middle level windlass for Ashline? surely they will have all the 'stuff' you at Floods Ferry - that is where I bought all mine although before the present regime. You will also need a pair of needle nosed pliers to 'adjust' the keyways on some of the Nene locks as it is sometimes difficult to get the key to go in properly. Make sure that you have at least two good longish ropes and a lively crew as the landing stages are often too small for a nb. Be very aware of the weather as the Nene comes up very quickly as it drains a wide area, so you need to check the weather over a similarly wide area. The EA foreman for the Nene is very helpful and you should make contact with him as he know all that is going on. I don't have his number but the EA at P'boro will give you it. You also need to plan moorings as Moomin said but also to take on water, food and more importantly BEER! and to empty the toilet if necessary. EA equipment is generally very good and it is FREE.at point of use so take advantage of it before you get on BW waters (Norhampton) I usually use the station just before the Town Lock as it is very little used and has a fairly big landing stage (the Duck and I got on it) It is on the right just before the park starts. Very good luck.

A pity we can't tempt you to stay on the Levels, Enviropc - how far do you have to go to get to your home mooring, or did you mention that earlier in the thread and I somehow missed it? Yes, I remember the boat with the tall mast.

I would expect a boat to come with a lock key/ windlass and mooring pins/ hammer, but, as suggested above, check with the previous owner - he must be the chap who works for River Rescue, I think, so he will not be likely to let a boat leave in an unsafe condition. Also check that it has a centre rope as well as one at each end - a boon when one person is holding the boat against the bank while the other person is scuttling about doing the proper work. :lol:

Ive made a note of what eveyone has said and will print it off so im sure not to forget to ask anything when i pick up the boat.

"Be very aware of the weather as the Nene comes up very quickly as it drains a wide area, so you need to check the weather over a similarly wide area"

Some people are starting to worry me!! :lol:

This trip is starting to sound dangerous. Do you mean the above is a problem if i leave the boat unattended and moored if The water levels rise or that im likely to meet fast flowing water and lose controll of my boat and sink?

Im not intending on leaving the boat alone until im safely on the canal system, im sure thay can cope at work (i know this because ive already set the rotas so im not essencial :lol: ) so not returning to work for a bit is fine.

Im hopeing the worst that can happen is delays because i dont have lock keys or have not booked in advance, getting wet in the rain and a bit of side wind at times.

Can someone assure be im not going to be fighting flood waters and tidal waves please :lol:

Ive made a note of what eveyone has said and will print it off so im sure not to forget to ask anything when i pick up the boat.

"Be very aware of the weather as the Nene comes up very quickly as it drains a wide area, so you need to check the weather over a similarly wide area"

Some people are starting to worry me!! :lol:

This trip is starting to sound dangerous. Do you mean the above is a problem if i leave the boat unattended and moored if The water levels rise or that im likely to meet fast flowing water and lose controll of my boat and sink?

Im not intending on leaving the boat alone until im safely on the canal system, im sure thay can cope at work (i know this because ive already set the rotas so im not essencial :lol: ) so not returning to work for a bit is fine.

Im hopeing the worst that can happen is delays because i dont have lock keys or have not booked in advance, getting wet in the rain and a bit of side wind at times.

Can someone assure be im not going to be fighting flood waters and tidal waves please :lol:

When it rains hard in the right (wrong) places, the level in the Nene can rise rapidly. When this happens, the EA declares "Strong Stream Advice" (SSA) which advises boaters not to navigate. In practise, they can't navigate anyway, because gates are opened at both ends of the locks to let the flood water flow through. If you're on the river when this happens, you'll be perfectly safe as long as you tie up and wait for the level to fall and the SSA to be removed. The reason I advised not leaving the boat is because a mooring which is OK as long as its attended might not be if there's no-one around to adjust ropes and ensure that the boat doesn't float over the bank.

The EA has river inspectors for the Nene who are available by phone. They're very happy to give advice. They will know the weather forecast and the state of the river catchment and tell you if there's a possibility of high flows. If you get caught out by high flow they'll advise and make sure you're OK. Contact details here.

MP.

When it rains hard in the right (wrong) places, the level in the Nene can rise rapidly. When this happens, the EA declares "Strong Stream Advice" (SSA) which advises boaters not to navigate. In practise, they can't navigate anyway, because gates are opened at both ends of the locks to let the flood water flow through. If you're on the river when this happens, you'll be perfectly safe as long as you tie up and wait for the level to fall and the SSA to be removed. The reason I advised not leaving the boat is because a mooring which is OK as long as its attended might not be if there's no-one around to adjust ropes and ensure that the boat doesn't float over the bank.

The EA has river inspectors for the Nene who are available by phone. They're very happy to give advice. They will know the weather forecast and the state of the river catchment and tell you if there's a possibility of high flows. If you get caught out by high flow they'll advise and make sure you're OK. Contact details here.

MP.

Thanks MP, I feel better now.

I cant seem to get Floods Ferry, huntindon or march to enter onto the route planner thoug, does anyone know what it would come under so i can get a better idea of distance.

Ive put the rout in from nene to ellsmere.

(Total distance is 269 miles, 2½ flg and 194 locks. There are at least 8 moveable bridges; 21 small aqueducts or underbridges and 7 tunnels.)

is there a time limit on how long we can sail per day? i.e restricted sailing times on any of these rivers/canals?

Justin

Thanks MP, I feel better now.

I cant seem to get Floods Ferry, huntindon or march to enter onto the route planner thoug, does anyone know what it would come under so i can get a better idea of distance.

Ive put the rout in from nene to ellsmere.

(Total distance is 269 miles, 2½ flg and 194 locks. There are at least 8 moveable bridges; 21 small aqueducts or underbridges and 7 tunnels.)

It worked for me, you need the apostrophe in Flood's Ferry.

Total distance is 223 miles, 5¾ flg and 217 locks. There are at least 8 moveable bridges; 22 small aqueducts or underbridges and 7 tunnels.

Made up of 91 miles, 4¾ furlongs of narrow canals; 69 miles, 4 furlongs of broad canals; 62 miles, 5 furlongs of small rivers; 114 narrow locks; 103 broad locks.

This will take 116 hours, 8 minutes which is 12 days, 8 hours and 8 minutes at 9 hours per day.

is there a time limit on how long we can sail per day? i.e restricted sailing times on any of these rivers/canals?

I think the ML rules say no movement after dark, the EA and canal ones don't but you'd have to be fairly mad to travel at night on the river. In practise, the limit is the crew. If you have enough to have someone streering, someone locking and someone feeding, and they're fit and keen, you can go dawn to dusk. Single-handed you'll be much slower.

MP.

It worked for me, you need the apostrophe in Flood's Ferry.

Total distance is 223 miles, 5¾ flg and 217 locks. There are at least 8 moveable bridges; 22 small aqueducts or underbridges and 7 tunnels.

Made up of 91 miles, 4¾ furlongs of narrow canals; 69 miles, 4 furlongs of broad canals; 62 miles, 5 furlongs of small rivers; 114 narrow locks; 103 broad locks.

This will take 116 hours, 8 minutes which is 12 days, 8 hours and 8 minutes at 9 hours per day.

I think the ML rules say no movement after dark, the EA and canal ones don't but you'd have to be fairly mad to travel at night on the river. In practise, the limit is the crew. If you have enough to have someone streering, someone locking and someone feeding, and they're fit and keen, you can go dawn to dusk. Single-handed you'll be much slower.

MP.

Sorry to sound stoopid but whats 'feeding'?

It's rather like drinking but more solid

Ahh, thats OK then, I intend only to be drinking on my boat ! :lol:

I now have 2 willing volunteers both under 40 who also dont have a clue what they are doing. (for this journey I shall think of them as Rodney & uncle Albert)

They both think the same as me that this is going to be the biggest adventure EVER!

Edited by enviropc

They both think the same as me that this is going to be the biggest adventure EVER!

Yes it will be. I hope one of them is not your other half or arguments leading to near-divorces can result. In such cases, the rule of thumb is, one of you stays at the pointy end and one at the blunty end - fraught situations become much calmer when you're 40 feet apart. The one at the back can steer while the other one practises this mysterious "feeding" procedure.

Seriously though folks, by the end of it you WILL all have more than the faintest idea what you're doing. Do keep us informed of how you're progressing.

Last thing: if you fancy a beer (as I often do) wait till you're moored up for the night.

Yes it will be. I hope one of them is not your other half or arguments leading to near-divorces can result. In such cases, the rule of thumb is, one of you stays at the pointy end and one at the blunty end - fraught situations become much calmer when you're 40 feet apart. The one at the back can steer while the other one practises this mysterious "feeding" procedure.

Seriously though folks, by the end of it you WILL all have more than the faintest idea what you're doing. Do keep us informed of how you're progressing.

Last thing: if you fancy a beer (as I often do) wait till you're moored up for the night.

I will keep you posted on our progress as and when we come accross WIFI access in pub or some thing.

If an argument is on the cards ill tell the wife the EA have issued an iceburge warning on the Nene and she is to stay out on the front to keep watch :lol:

Shes actualy staying at home on my maiden voyage so i can learn the ropes so to speak and not endanger her, the kids and most importantly the dogs.

Pictures to follow :lol:

I hope one of them is not your other half or arguments leading to near-divorces can result. In such cases, the rule of thumb is, one of you stays at the pointy end and one at the blunty end - fraught situations become much calmer when you're 40 feet apart. The one at the back can steer while the other one practises this mysterious "feeding" procedure.

Haha, I shall be testing this theory very carefully next week :lol:

I don't think 40 ft is enough distance. We had a 58 ft boat and that wasn't enough, so we had a 67-footer built. Now if I'm on the tiller and she's in the front cockpit, there's JUST enough separation to recover from a really good argument.