Inverter

Mary 1

Featured Posts

Yes it is an RCBO. It is a 30mA RCD coupled with a 16A MCB. It is IDENTICAL to mine. Worry over :lol:

Chris

Many thanks for all your help, have learnt quite a bit these last few days, goes to show your never to old to learn.

Look forward to disscussing next topic, wife don't know yet but thinking of having an immersion heater fitted into my hot water tank. to save running engine up whilst sat in the marina.

Regards

Bob.

To preempt your discussion on immersion heaters, the formula for calculating heating times is as follows:

T (hours) = V x C x 1.2 / P

where:

V = volume of water to be heated in litres

C = temperature over which the water needs to be heated in degrees C

P = Immersion heater power in Watts.

eg: to heat 60 litres from 10degC to 60degC (ie: 50degC difference) with a 1KW immersion heater will take:

60 x 50 x 1.2 / 1000 = 3.6 hours ie: a pretty long time.

Chris

and use 3.6 units of electricity.

Cost per unit varies but will be in the region of 15p per unit so, cost = 3.6*15 = 54p :lol:

So to heat a calorifier with the engine takes how long?

My narrowboat from memory used to take just under hour and would only do it if the engine was in gear..............otherwise it took hours

On that boat 1 Litre diesel per hour = 60p so about the same

On Parglena 4litres of diesel per hour = £2.40 so much cheaper using the immersion.

J

So to heat a calorifier with the engine takes how long?

My narrowboat from memory used to take just under hour and would only do it if the engine was in gear..............otherwise it took hours

On that boat 1 Litre diesel per hour = 60p so about the same

On Parglena 4litres of diesel per hour = £2.40 so much cheaper using the immersion.

J

I think I might be missing the point but arnt calorifiers meant to take WASTE heat from using the engine for ANOTHER PURPOSE to heat water not to be used JUST to heat water?

Justme

I think I might be missing the point but arnt calorifiers meant to take WASTE heat from using the engine for ANOTHER PURPOSE to heat water not to be used JUST to heat water?

That's the theory, but I have seen lots of boats that do not have any other way of heating their water, then if they want hot water whilst moored they have to run the engine or fit a secondary means of water heating.

Edited by idleness