Burton Waters Install Kit

kayDee

Featured Posts

Hi all...

We're looking at using the www.ineedbroadband.co.uk wireless service but wondered if anyone here is using it with a Burton Waters Install Kit? Its supposed to be for multi-PC access using the same wireless account from the provider but I need to be sure that it IS that. I've emailed them about it a few times but got nothing back.

Or, does anyone know how you can share a single wireless connection that requires a login? You can't share the same connection with the same login if you both try to connect with two separate machines simultaneously so some kind of nat router would be needed with an external antenna. Does anyone know of such a device that can let you connect in this manner? Would it need to be some kind of wireless bridge or something?

I'll try and explain this a bit better than I have done... With this particular wireless hotspot that we're near, you have to login to it before you can visit any other web pages. Its the first page that comes up when you load your browser and it won't let you past it until you've put your credentials in. Once a user has logged in, if anyone else was to try logging in with that same ID, it wouldn't let you on - it would say the account was in use. It may even lock it to your mac address - not sure about that bit.

What we need is some kind of router where we can enter our login details into its config somehow and then use that single connection for multiple laptops on that boat... well... two. There would also need to be some way of telling the router which wireless access point in which to connect. A normal wireless access point is unable to do this as its expecting either adsl or cable on the wan link - not a wireless access point. I know wireless bridges can 'extend' a wireless network and allow ethernet devices to connect to the extended part of it but I doubt that the provider would want to do it that way as it means them adding the mac address of my access point to their equipment (and vice versa), messing about with ip ranges and setting up other encryption etc.

Any help greatly appreciated, as always!

Kay

x

One way would be to have a gateway computer connected to a wireless AP and to have that computer running a login script to get through the redirected login page the service provider uses, other PC's could then connect through the new AP you have provided.

The problem is that the the service provider will probably kick you off their router if you are inactive or they don't like the bandwidth you are using so the script on the server would need to be clever enough to keep checking you had a real Internet connection and were not simply getting the redirect to their login page.

Basically the reason the login page is there is to stop you doing what you fancy doing! :lol:

Edited by Gary Peacock

One way would be to have a gateway computer connected to a wireless AP and to have that computer running a login script to get through the redirected login page the service provider uses, other PC's could then connect through the new AP you have provided.

The problem is that the the service provider will probably kick you off their router if you are inactive or they don't like the bandwidth you are using so the script on the server would need to be clever enough to keep checking you had a real Internet connection and were not simply getting the redirect to their login page.

Basically the reason the login page is there is to stop you doing what you fancy doing! :lol:

Yep, I see what you mean. I've even thought of setting up a server running terminal services and have that particular machine connected to the hot spot via a wireless NIC and then connect the laptops to the terminal services server via RDP and use a session on the server. The terminal services server will act as a NAT router to any connected RDP clients and hopefully solve my problem! The ISP will only 'see' the MAC address of my server as the server itself will do any NAT routing for the clients. Means having my desktop PC (currently retired) setting up and running all the time to keep the connection up. I don't fancy paying out £90 for their router when I might be able to do it cheaper myself!

Thanks for everyone's help though... I will update you when I've worked something out! Yep, I think I'll do that!

Kay

x

Yep, I see what you mean. I've even thought of setting up a server running terminal services and have that particular machine connected to the hot spot via a wireless NIC and then connect the laptops to the terminal services server via RDP and use a session on the server. The terminal services server will act as a NAT router to any connected RDP clients and hopefully solve my problem! The ISP will only 'see' the MAC address of my server as the server itself will do any NAT routing for the clients. Means having my desktop PC (currently retired) setting up and running all the time to keep the connection up. I don't fancy paying out £90 for their router when I might be able to do it cheaper myself!

Thanks for everyone's help though... I will update you when I've worked something out! Yep, I think I'll do that!

Kay

x

Doh i did have there router but threw it away ive still got the roof top directional antenna thoas an aside i did connect to them for a few days just using my lappy wireless no router reqd and my niece is connected that way as well(please excuse me im pc illiterate if thats no good to you)

Edited by denboy

Doh i did have there router but threw it away ive still got the roof top directional antenna thoas an aside i did connect to them for a few days just using my lappy wireless no router reqd and my niece is connected that way as well(please excuse me im pc illiterate if thats no good to you)

Thanks for that Denboy, and your other post too. Much appreciated. They seem a decent service - I connected to them for £10 for 5 days and got a pretty good connection that didn't drop out once. So, I'm quite pleased I'll get a decent service.

Kay

x

10 quid for 5 days... Ouch

T mobile, £7.50 a month, admittedly with a 3 gig limit; however...

Haha, oh I know, £10 is pretty steep but I just wanted to see what they're service was like.

I'm going to take their £99 for 12 months offer - that's 1Mb with no caps... apparently.

There is still a fair usage policy so that basically means it is capped...

Oh well...

Kay

x

Do you need to send a photo of your computer, so they can decide if it is posh enough, for their system?

I sincerely hope not, its an old Dell Dimension 8300!

:lol:

Kay

x

I sincerely hope not, its an old Dell Dimension 8300!

:lol:

Kay

x

Hey ! - Less of it, please !

A Dell Dimension 8300 is by no means the oldest computer being operated at this location.

Despite it's age, it actually turns out to have a higher spec in every single respect than those Dell Optiplex machines that Stuart's company flogged off recently.

(I'm a bit worried that it's fan keeps "hunting" up and down in speed, though - I suspect it's not being kept as cool as Dell intended. :lol: )

It seems that their "Ethernet Modem - 1 x single PC" will actually support multiple machines even though it states "single PC" - so I've gone for that kit instead. That Button Waters kit is something entirely different and not what I was thinking about at all... Silly me... :lol:

So, will see if it all works when it arrives...

I've already got a separate Ethernet firewall I can use between our machines and their router as I don't know how good their firewall systems are... :lol:

Kay

x