Changing bath mixer tap/shower head thingy...

kayDee

Featured Posts

Hi all...

Our bath mixer tap/combined shower head thing decided to die last night and the middle bit where you select where you want the water to go - either taps or shower head - has snapped off.

So, got to get a new one of some description. What is the best way to go about changing it without flooding the place? Do you have to drain the tank and the calorifier and everything?

This is a bit different from a house where you can turn the stop cock off isn't it! The fun bit will be getting to the underneath part of the taps to unscrew them! Still, that bit isn't my job! Ha!

I've taken a photo of the arrangement HERE

Any help greatly appreciated as we can't use the damn thing now! Sulk... Well, not without a jet of water blasting out of that centre hole horizontally! Eeek!

Kay

x

What is the best way to go about changing it without flooding the place? Do you have to drain the tank and the calorifier and everything?

I'd be surprised if there wasn't a tap/stop cock/cut off under the foredeck, to isolate the cold water tank. Once you've closed that, water shouldn't flow from either hot or cold taps.

If there's a locker under the front door, the tap will be under there.

Hi all...

Our bath mixer tap/combined shower head thing decided to die last night and the middle bit where you select where you want the water to go - either taps or shower head - has snapped off.

So, got to get a new one of some description. What is the best way to go about changing it without flooding the place? Do you have to drain the tank and the calorifier and everything?

This is a bit different from a house where you can turn the stop cock off isn't it! The fun bit will be getting to the underneath part of the taps to unscrew them! Still, that bit isn't my job! Ha!

I've taken a photo of the arrangement HERE

Any help greatly appreciated as we can't use the damn thing now! Sulk... Well, not without a jet of water blasting out of that centre hole horizontally! Eeek!

Kay

x

First you need to stop the water flowing.

If it has a seperate switch, turn off your water pump otherwise remove the fuse on that circuit (if you don't know which one it is, find out). Alernatively turn off all your domestic power.

Open a tap/s (preferably the faulty one) and let it run untill it the accumalator finishes pushing water through.

You should now have no pressure at that mixer and will be able to couple up your new one by getting access through the bath side panel.

As a short term fix can you blank off that naughty hole which is spraying horizontally and hitting you where you don't want.

I'd be surprised if there wasn't a tap/stop cock/cut off under the foredeck, to isolate the cold water tank. Once you've closed that, water shouldn't flow from either hot or cold taps.

If there's a locker under the front door, the tap will be under there.

Thanks for that, will have a look later when I get back.

I guess it would be silly to not have some way of shutting the tank off wouldn't it! :lol:

Kay

x

First you need to stop the water flowing.

If it has a seperate switch, turn off your water pump otherwise remove the fuse on that circuit (if you don't know which one it is, find out). Alernatively turn off all your domestic power.

Open a tap/s (preferably the faulty one) and let it run untill it the accumalator finishes pushing water through.

You should now have no pressure at that mixer and will be able to couple up your new one by getting access through the bath side panel.

As a short term fix can you blank off that naughty hole which is spraying horizontally and hitting you where you don't want.

I would be inclined to switch off the water at the tank, then run the pump till no more water flows and THEN switch off the pump.

Chris

I guess it would be silly to not have some way of shutting the tank off wouldn't it! :lol:

Kay

x

Even if you haven't got part of your plumbing to repair, it's well worth knowing where that tap is, and making sure it can be accessed quickly.

Turning that off, combined with turning off the water pump, should always be your first action if you find unexplained water anywhere in the cabin area where it should not be. That stops more accumulating while you look for the source.

On ours you draw back the front steps, and it's a simple quarter turn affair.

I would be inclined to switch off the water at the tank, then run the pump till no more water flows and THEN switch off the pump.

Chris

I understand your reasoning, but if you turn the water off and switch the pump off (or disconnect it) water won't flow anyway. There's nowhere for the air to get in to replace it!

Edited by Machpoint005

Thanks to everyone that has commented. I will have a look this evening and make note of any taps I find.

The fun bit will be getting to the underneath bit!

As they're a fixed unit and not individual taps, will it be easy to find another similar arrangement that will fit into the same holes? :lol:

Kay

x

I understand your reasoning, but if you turn the water off and switch the pump off (or disconnect it) water won't flow anyway. There's nowhere for the air to get in to replace it!

Switching the pump off last ensures that the shower pipes are empty of water when you start to do the repair.

Chris

If you intend replacing the mixer with the same or similar type of unit you may find you do not have to get under the bath. Where the taps come out the the bath on the pillars they are connected to the main body of the mixer by union fittings. The unit can be split here and the mixer unit taken to DIY store or plumbers merchants to try to obtain something similar.

take your broken bits and the photo to a decent plumbers merchants and they will try and find a fix "do for now" from the bits they have.

people who change avatars from ankle shots to bambi pic will normally suffer from things like broken taps.

Will it be easy to find another similar arrangement that will fit into the same holes? :lol:

Kay

x

Should be OK as the hole spacing is more or less standard - unless it's a very old installation.

Gaggle is right in his comment about a plumbers' merchant, but you'll probably get a cheap (new) replacement from (B and) Queue-shop anyway. Might be easier!

Have you never heard the expresion "pussy pelmet" used to describe a short skirt...............??

Well, I'll explain further if you really want me to

oh dear kaydee i think your legs were the only thing that was keeping some of these old boys going, what will they do now :lol:

Have you never heard the expresion "pussy pelmet" used to describe a short skirt...............??

Well, I'll explain further if you really want me to

Crumbs! No, I didn't know that expression! :lol:

I've had a sheltered life... :lol:

Kay

x

oh dear kaydee i think your legs were the only thing that was keeping some of these old boys going, what will they do now :lol:

Okay then, I'll be back! :lol:

Kay

x