Cratch Cover

Daftmare

Featured Posts

Johnjo,

You do have a point of course but should you ever be stood next to a cover made by AJ of Braunston , and a cloth of the same age and fabric made by another well known midland company, (they need to be a certain age - say five years plus) you will note that AJ's cloth is holding up rather better. In part this is because it is better made in the first place (have a look at the work in the zips) but, as they state on their website "All seams on appropriate hooding materials are stitch sealed with sealant." The difference it makes, particularly on hooding cloth, is considerable.

And no, I don't work for them.

Giles.

Knowing you'll be out the country when I need said services...

Is that the kind of sealant I use on my tent or can I buy special stuff in a reasonably small container?

I've noticed what you mean on a neighbours boat about said midland co's covers...

Knowing you'll be out the country when I need said services...

Is that the kind of sealant I use on my tent or can I buy special stuff in a reasonably small container?

I've noticed what you mean on a neighbours boat about said midland co's covers...

Hello Smelly,

It is literally called seam sealant: the stuff you have for your tent is probably what I have in mind - If you take the top off you should see a dispensing pad. It does leave a bit of a 'snali trail' but this can be reduced if you mask the stitches first. As I said earlier it is well worthwhile doing to a hooding cloth fabric (it stops the water penetrating to the cotton lining and rotting from the inside out), but I wouldn't rush to do it otherwise- unless of course the seams are leaking; it's dead handy at stopping that to.

I don't want to take any joy from sunny days but it is more than probable that your cloth will eventually fail because of sunlight.

Cheers Giles.

Giles.

• 3 months later...

We had our pram hood done 3 years ago by W****** but had a bit of an uphill struggle to get their fitter to do it a bit different from normal. Having seen a recent attempt by them to do a cratch cover I am looking elsewhere for mine. I think they are happier with convential stuff, one zip is quicker turnover. If you want two zips then find someone who, a; knows how to fit them, and b; is happy to accomodate you, and wants a satisfied customer

• 2 weeks later...