bss

colin loach

Featured Posts

if i use the boat without a bss will it effect my insurance

I can only suggest that you check your insurance to see if the BSS is a specific condition of insurance.

Some insurance policies may require it, others might not

if i use the boat without a bss will it effect my insurance

If there's anything that would obviously fail, that might be taken as a sign of a lack of proper maintenance. Insurers love to find excuses for not paying.

My car caught fire some years ago, although the fire was put out fairly quickly the car was a write off because of its age.

When the insurance assessor came to look at it, the very first thing he did was get out his tread gauge & check the tyres, he was looking for any sign of poor maintenance.

As it happens, I was seriously pi**ed off about the fire largely because I had put 4 new tyres on the car only a few days before, & ended up buying it back from the insurers just to get the tyres back.

Tim

If there's anything that would obviously fail, that might be taken as a sign of a lack of proper maintenance. Insurers love to find excuses for not paying.

My car caught fire some years ago, although the fire was put out fairly quickly the car was a write off because of its age.

When the insurance assessor came to look at it, the very first thing he did was get out his tread gauge & check the tyres, he was looking for any sign of poor maintenance.

As it happens, I was seriously pi**ed off about the fire largely because I had put 4 new tyres on the car only a few days before, & ended up buying it back from the insurers just to get the tyres back.

Tim

Tim the boat is a sail away and not yet completed but useable it conformity just expired

• 7 months later...

On a similar theme, let's say I buy a boat with, say, 6 months to run on its BSC and then get it tested to find out what work needs doing. If it fails the test, does this invalidate the existing test or can I still rely on the existing certificate?

It sounds as if there may be two different answers, one for licensing and a different one for insurance purposes.

Also, could a seller do this - have a boat tested while its old certificate is still valid and then decide that it's not worth fixing all its faults and sell it with the old certificate?

On a similar theme, let's say I buy a boat with, say, 6 months to run on its BSC and then get it tested to find out what work needs doing. If it fails the test, does this invalidate the existing test or can I still rely on the existing certificate?

It sounds as if there may be two different answers, one for licensing and a different one for insurance purposes.

Also, could a seller do this - have a boat tested while its old certificate is still valid and then decide that it's not worth fixing all its faults and sell it with the old certificate?

The BSS allows for a certification renewal to be made up to two months before the termination of the existing certificate and the new cert dated to end 4 years from the end of the original cert. This is to allow boat owners to rectify any defects before the certificate expires. Therefore, logically for two months the old certificate can still valid after failing to attain a new cert.

However as mentioned in an earlier post, insurance companies are quick to find reasons for avoiding paying out. Examination failures are recorded as well as the passes, it is very easy for the insurance companies to check out, probably the very first check they make.

On your last point I am afraid it can be done, but the vendor will then be guilty of non disclosure.

(BSS records will be evidence).

If the boat is found to be dangerous a notice will be posted on the boat and if necessary authorities informed. The vendor is in breach of law if he removes the notice without rectifying the defects.

Having said all this of course it is not to say that it will not happen.

I do not believe that the BSC should be considered in the sale/purchase of a boat as, like your car MOT test, the Certificate only relates the condition of the boat on the day of the examination, and it covers only a minimum safety standard. A surveyor's report should cover such standards, and much much more.

There's a requirement built into the '95 BWA that requires the boat meets a prescribed standard before a licence is granted. Once the licence is granted it needs to be revoked so in the absence of revocation action I reckon you'll be okay.

Thanks for that, people.

I suppose what I'd want is for a BSS examiner to do an informal report to say what would happen if it were to be tested. That way, pass or fail, the result isn't actually recorded, but I'd still get to know in advance what work is needed. Does such a thing exist?

Thanks for that, people.

I suppose what I'd want is for a BSS examiner to do an informal report to say what would happen if it were to be tested. That way, pass or fail, the result isn't actually recorded, but I'd still get to know in advance what work is needed. Does such a thing exist?

Friendly examiners might not charge a re-test fee...